Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
world_of_war_battle

I want some tactics and strategies of IJN DDs

10 comments in this topic

30 posts
1,080 battles

I want some comments and suggestions of these questions below:

please write about IJN DDs

1. When and where to pop smoke?

2. How to dodge shells effectively?

3. How to deal with enemy air raids( TB cross drops)

thank you

980 posts
12,617 battles

My recommendation - don't play IJN DDs. 

Play DDs from all other nations first - then play IJN DDs. You can answer all of your own questions above once you do so. 

[LBAS]
4,468 posts
25,632 battles

entire IJN DDs cursed by Lesta Studio << you will suffer more than ever, even Premium DDs all of them have shit stats and worst performance

Torp with highest detection range with same/lower speed (compare to other nations) , chance to hit very low, lowest compare to other Nations' DDs;

Guns , there is no gun:fish_palm:

Radar every where even USN DD (Black)/ Belfast / Flint with smoke + radar same time << nowhere to run

The truth teller >>

3 minutes ago, LordTyphoon said:

My recommendation - don't play IJN DDs. 

Play DDs from all other nations first - then play IJN DDs. You can answer all of your own questions above once you do so. 

112 posts
2,960 battles

I've played the IJN DD line first and don't mind them.

The key is not getting spotted too much. Vision games are important with them.

These are my thoughts (others will have different ones) and I take any different views on board.

1. Smoke.

Defensive smoke - when you have been spotted and are getting targeted. Its to break vision and escape then start again from outside concealment range. Using it to start shooting from smoke is not the best idea because your smoke is not that crash hot and they are already shooting at you. Unless its a really low health enemy chasing you just bug out and get set up to torp again.

Offensive smoke - you have a target being spotted by an ally and you start shooting after smoking up. Just leave before you get bounced.

2. Watch shells and see if you can turn to dodge, but don't turn too much, change speed often, works really well when you are running away as its hard to tell if you change speed. 

3. Generally be wary of planes as you have questionable AA. Turning into them as soon as you see them seems to help me a bit, it seems to upset the timing of x drops and sometimes helps you hit torps before they arm. If you see planes around start accelerating so you are moving at top speed, see if you can turn close to an ally with decent AA. 

Good luck with them. 

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

Although I don't have IJN DDs on my live account, but over the time I have played many. I am one of the few who do not think IJN DDs are powerless and treat them with respect when facing them. Usually two types of players keep saying that IJN DDs suck

(a) Weeb fanbois, anything done to the game is usually translated as an IJN DD nerf to them.

(b) People who actually value the competitiveness of destroyers, and played US / PA / KM DD lines. They can do as much in those DDs as IJN DDs.

Now keeping that in mind, while IJN DDs are severely inferior in competitive environment, they can be quite fun for random battles.  You have to put their strength to good use.

Strength 1: Extremely good concealment. Lets take Kagero for example, you have 5.4 km concealment. This is insanely good concealment to have. you can keep other nation's DD's spotted indefinitely as long as you know how to dance with them. As a DD, you do not try to deal all the damage alone, you make enemy retreat by your presence, or force them to over extend. You have to trust your team. You smash F3 on enemy and you will be surprised that even random players try to pick on easier targets.

That also means, you need to be better with positioning. Always go some place where you won't be rushed. This includes approach angles and retreat plans. You do not steam ahead full speed till you meet enemy DD, you need to have a good guess and slow down and start to turn away like maneuver when you can sense that enemy DD is getting closer. RPF is a must to do this. Don't listen to the extremist who try to tell you that RPF is unethical or cheating, or misleading, this is an extremely important skill. RPF movement can help you to guess distance of DD and where he can be found.

Avoiding predators is also a good skill to have. You should already know where RADAR ships can be camping, torpedo reload time of enemy DDs and the land masses which can be used by enemy to sneak into your concealment range. And be careful about plane movement, keep your AA OFF.

Strength 2: Torpedoes. This is arguable however. Your torps have high detection range. But I take it as the slowness of US Mid tier BBs. Everyone will tell you, oh they are so slow its unplayable. The truth is, thats not a huge factor. Same for your torpedoes. Your torpedoes are easier to dodge when enemy is actually expecting them. Otherwise, you still hit shit tons of torps. You need to be able to predict enemy movement while yourself being unpredictable to enemy. Keep this in mind, enemy will always react to getting spotted themselves, or, by actions of your allies behind you. if your allies are low hp or fleeing, enemy ships are more likely to push, and when your allies are overwhelming the flank, they will tend to turn away and retreat. You need to consider these before dumping your torpedoes. Don't just dump them as soon as you see them, or just because your range can reach them. Always try to get as close as you can while staying safe, and give enemy time to stabilize or at least enough time so that you can figure out their driving patterns. Torpedoing the choke points also helps when you know people might be coming through the gaps.

Torpedoes relies on enemy mistakes, if they never make a mistake, you will never hit a torpedo. That's the problem IJN DDs have compared to other DDs. But hey, as a DD, dealing damage isn't your first goal anyway.

Weakness: What about guns and smoke? Many IJN DD players will wait to pop smoke unless they are almost dead. Don't try to save smoke charges, they are not much of teamplay use anyway. Use them whenever you need. For guns, you really need to know what you can damage and what you cant. I have seen countless time DDs see a low HP bismarck, and open up on him, the thing is, IJN 127mm deals no damage to them and in return they get murdered by said enemy ship. Again, there are iinstances where IJN DD players see a very low HP DD, and tries to torp it instead of just gunning them down. IJN guns do pack a punch. Never torp anything that can be finished by guns. Smoke and shoot if needed.

Most important advice, do not die before half way into the game. Preserve HP. But this does not mean you should just stay back. That's the challenging part of playing DD. Be aggressive and still preserve your HP. Oh, and never try to go behind enemy line. You will be killed 10/10 times if you try to do that in the beginning. Sometimes giving ground to enemy is a good idea. But make sure to keep looking for chances to take it back.

Last but not least, if you are new to game, or new to destroyers, DO NOT PLAY IJN DDs. It is not for beginners. Try the US or PA and VMF lines first. They will teach you how to IJN DD faster than actually playing IJN DD as a starter.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,863 battles

I never fail to read when Icy write..(of coz only when i visit forum once in awhile).

Thanks Icy, good advice, it refresh me. I start playing IJN dd first and then I switch to other line DD. I wish I have read most of Icy's guide/advice before I get to know this game :( Sadly that is now way too late now.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
4 minutes ago, RimauLaut said:

I never fail to read when Icy write..(of coz only when i visit forum once in awhile).

Thanks Icy, good advice, it refresh me. I start playing IJN dd first and then I switch to other line DD. I wish I have read most of Icy's guide/advice before I get to know this game :( Sadly that is now way too late now.

Oi !! Stop trolling. You are already a very experienced player... uwu

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,863 battles
13 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Oi !! Stop trolling. You are already a very experienced player... uwu

Not trolling..just expressing a sincere opinion. Experience by battle count yes, maybe, but by skill no. Still trying to improve as day pass by. Still remember the painful lesson tier 8 IJN dd gave me in my first ranking season. (It open my eyes of the capability of other nation dd..and teach me how to somehow play against them in IJN dd..yes its hard, but I stick my love for IJN dd until recently when PA come around) 

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

If you are beginner, i recommended that you shouldn't play IJN DD line, play USN or KM line instead, it much easier to play and and in high tier they can do same role as IJN DD or even better.

IJN DD in current meta is not newbie friendly line (it hard to play effectively) .

-Their low tier is mediocre and not thing special,

-when you reach the mid and higher tier. they streng (concealment and torpedo) being effect very hard by radar and hand hydro meta, so it harder to you to scouts/spot and your torpedo is very easy to dodge. If you want use them effectively   you at least need to remember which ship should you avoid, how long and how far those radar/hydro activate, and some experience to increase chance to hit target with your torpedo 

About your question

1. When and where to pop smoke?

>When you being spotted and someone actually shoot at you, in mid and high tier make sure you are not in radar/hydro range because those thing will make your smoke useless. So it would better if you can get out the spotting range or take cover behind some island.  

>Sometime you can use make to cover yourself when you want tpo should something safely without being spotted, but it quite rare for IJN DD to actually do that because your gun is not very good. Akizuki is exception case since she have enough firepower to make full use of it.

2. How to dodge shells effectively?

>Press speed buff and AWSD, don't gun straight line, change your speed frequently also work . More important, pray for enemy is potato

3. How to deal with enemy air raids( TB cross drops)

>Same as above,  Speed buff and AWSD, at least it work when facing tier 4-5, when facing tier 6+ CV, pray for them is potato, since if they actually want you die, you dead. Smoke work sometime (especially against tier 4-5 CV),  but it is double eagle sword if you facing a decent CV player whole actually know how to manual drop.

Edited by K135Blitzkrieg

Sign in to follow this