You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LonerPrime

Some advice? Izumo or DM Donskoi: Which one to pursue first?

22 comments in this topic

294 posts
2,997 battles

Hello fellow players,

So... I'm somewhat of a "casual to active" player with my activity increasing or decreasing depending on how interesting events of the months are. If they are meh, I restrict myself to one win per ship type to get the xp bonus and stop there. However, if they're interesting I play enough to at least get the 3 daily containers. Over time, I've been taking it easy and playing 3 ship types, to the point that my Cruiser and BB grinds are running identically parallel to each other.

Which brings me to the reason for this thread. I've been pursuing the IJN BB and Soviet Cruiser line and I've unlocked both Izumo and DM Donskoi. Sadly, I play standard account and though I do own some premium ships, the price tag of a tier 9 is still nothing to scoff at. Thus, I come to you folks. Considering the meta and how ships are these days, which one of these two should I sink my purse into? Just fyi, I do plan to pursue both at one point but right now I need to make a call due to silver shortage.

Please do let me know what your thoughts are regarding the matter.

Regards,

LonerPrime

216 posts
11,477 battles

versatility in don even though getting citadel is daily routine. the question is which t10 are u looking to have in the long run?

239 posts
5,804 battles
3 minutes ago, Lowyat said:

the question is which t10 are u looking to have in the long run?

I see most T9s as only a stepping stone to T10.

So the question is, Moskva or Yamato?

But my opinion of the Isumo is that the only good point is that you unlock Yamato at the end of it (I haven’t played it after the most recent buffs, but I still don’t consider it an especially enjoyable ship).

So if you want playability, go the Russian.

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,412 battles

Both eat citadels like no other though , also izumo has a weird citadel shape that can get you killed from pretty weird angles just like yamato :Smile_teethhappy:.

Donskoi is better off atleast since it is harder to get shot at from long range and has decent speed to get out of lol situation.

66 posts
4,069 battles

Izumo is extremely tanky against both HE and AP and it does not eat citadel from "weird angles" like Yamato.

Izumo also has 57mm deck armor that shatters even German cruisers 1/4 HE penetrations.

Izumo also possesses sloped citadel armor which makes it harder to citadel it compared to other T9 battleships like Iowa.

Izumo also has the highest shell velocity among the T9 battleships.

Izumo also has extremely high penetration values.

IIRC, it also has the second fastest turret traverse among T9 battleships with FdG being first.

Overall, Izumo is an extremely sturdy battleship that does not sink easily and is a decent ship.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
5 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Both eat citadels like no other though , also izumo has a weird citadel shape that can get you killed from pretty weird angles just like yamato

Reality is the Opposite. Izumo never ate citadel hits like no other, and never got citadel hits from weird angles. Everything else on Izumo has been buffed, concealment and armor profile.

Her weakness is AA, maneuverability and the pathetic gun dispersion.

They don't usually hit many, and when they do, due to high powered guns, they overpen.

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,412 battles
Just now, icy_phoenix said:

Reality is the Opposite. Izumo never ate citadel hits like no other, and never got citadel hits from weird angles. Everything else on Izumo has been buffed, concealment and armor profile.

Her weakness is AA, maneuverability and the pathetic gun dispersion.

They don't usually hit many, and when they do, due to high powered guns, they overpen.

Damn im wrong looking back , dat box tin can :I.
Btw you should add the ABC layout to the weakness of dat bathtub.

The second or third gun is esp vulnerable to be disabled during maneuvers

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Both DmD and Izumo have similar advantages and disadvantages. Both can sustain some hits, both have good guns etc. So it comes down to whether you like playing BB or love playing CA more.

At the end of the grind, you have this somewhat OK battleship Yamato, and completely broken new Moskva. Now you decide.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
1 minute ago, legionary2099 said:

Btw you should add the ABC layout to the weakness of dat bathtub

True, that's the most garbage gun layout in the game... and IJN lines are full of it.

294 posts
2,997 battles

Thank you for the input folks. It is indeed a bit of a tough call:-

On one hand, there is the Izumo: the gatekeeper holding the keys to the Kingdom of Yamato. Yet, her reputation is deemed something horrible. Even if it's over-exaggerated, from my own personal experience I know for a fact that Izumo is a sitting duck that can either go forward or in reverse to make the most out of her play-style. I've forgotten how many Izumos I've cooked that were desperately trying to get out of medium range but were eating HE all over their decks(some of them, after the buff). Still... she is the trial that leads to Yamato.

On the other, there is the DM Donskoi. I've been in love with the Soviet Cruisers from Kirov right up to Chapayev. So much so that I don't even recall how on earth I got through Chapy's grind this fast. It was amazing fun. Of-course I've eaten some odd citadels now and then that outright deleted me but considering that it was only once every 40 or so games and Soviet cruisers don't really have the best turn circle, I don't really mind. Yet, I'm a bit wary of Moskva. No torps, no agility like her predecessors and characteristics that are more synonymous with a BB than a Cruiser...

Hmmm....

IbMTno4.jpg

Edited by LonerPrime

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,558 battles

as i remember i don't enjoy donskoi grind, it's big it's clumsy and guns that is nor here or there(don't have enough points for IFHE that time)

also unforgiving if you make a mistake, once you got into spot you shouldn't you are gone

have played nearly all T9 cruisers except for seattle, donskoi the one i will not even bother to play again..but this is my opinion so buy the ship have a go at it if don't like it pursue other line

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Depends upon your wish of which ship you want first... and then which type of ship is easy for you BB or CA..

But as my experience goes you want to stay at range for both ships (inb4 noob BB stop kemping).. For donskoi you want to have ifhe or the ship doesn't want to do HE damage.. then for radar you cannot actually get close or you will sustain lot of damage so radar usage is extremely situational...

For Izumo being worse concealed ship of the game (inb4 pepsi), the deck extremely fragile towards HE (takes lots of HE damage) and the turret positioning.. if you can free xp it you should as Yamato is still one of the best BBs.. Izumo being average (worst in opinion)

Conclusion is in the end... depends upon your skill of which class you are good with..

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
3 hours ago, Aaditya_AJ said:

For Izumo being worse concealed ship of the game (inb4 pepsi), the deck extremely fragile towards HE (takes lots of HE damage) and the turret positioning.. if you can free xp it you should as Yamato is still one of the best BBs.. Izumo being average (worst in opinion)

Not anymore, both deck armor and concealment have been buffed.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles
3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

but it is still the Izumo we're talking about

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,412 battles
4 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Though i doubt that buff will have any effect on the vaunted and hated Conkek line.

The ABC layout is really holding Izumo back , because once commited , retreating mean you loss 100% of your firepower for quite sometime.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
5 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

The ABC layout is really holding Izumo back , because once commited , retreating mean you loss 100% of your firepower for quite sometime.

That's true. Izumo could easily adopt Nelson's layout. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

However, she teaches you about Yamato too. Anyone played enough Yamato knows that you use your front two turrets for most part of the game anyway.

294 posts
2,997 battles

Alright, thank you for the input folks. I decided to go with DM Donskoi first. As much as I love BB play, and Yamato has an allure of its own, I am not sure I wanna sit in the back the whole game and snipe about praying to get lucky. I'll try to grab a Musashi and see if I can appreciate the playstyle. Otherwise, I'll need to do some soul searching when it comes to BB play where I don't end up being a liability to the team. For now, I'll just focus on Cruisers and DDs.

Thank you once more. Appreciate your opinions.

HAEuCa4.png

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles
7 hours ago, LonerPrime said:

Alright, thank you for the input folks. I decided to go with DM Donskoi first. As much as I love BB play, and Yamato has an allure of its own, I am not sure I wanna sit in the back the whole game and snipe about praying to get lucky. I'll try to grab a Musashi and see if I can appreciate the playstyle. Otherwise, I'll need to do some soul searching when it comes to BB play where I don't end up being a liability to the team. For now, I'll just focus on Cruisers and DDs.

Thank you once more. Appreciate your opinions.

Or, just grind Donskoi and collect FXP from campaigns, you only need like 300k to skip Izumo.

Yamato is still a must have for any BB lover. One of the oldest tier 10 ships still holding her ground with pride.

Edited by icy_phoenix