Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
lordphilippe

can anyone explain this?

9 comments in this topic

69 posts
8,828 battles

first picture was back to a few month ago when I played Yugumo, 3 torpedo hit and only caused 16286 damage,

and second picture is playing Kaga in Narai, an AP shell to a bot Atlanta caused 5245 damage while the maximum damage from Kaga`s 200mm gun should be 4500 

5b665ffa0c6d5_yugumobug.thumb.png.f989770f1885eff737741ca29e038da1.pngkaga.thumb.png.7dc2c7bc53fb443c602e74646de1b160.png

599 posts
7,566 battles

Damage saturation on yugumo case

1 torp might hit the saturated part

Kaga got 4500 max dmg  and the remainder might be a pen or few overpens

Edited by Gummilicious

69 posts
8,828 battles
3 minutes ago, Gummilicious said:

Calculate your yugumo total damage

Shells penetration+torpedo damage+flood

594+16286+640=17250dmg

Kaga got 4500 max dmg  and the remainder might be a pen or few overpens

for the picture I wonders only about that torpedo damage, look for that torpedo section, it says 3 torpedo hits caused 16286 damage which is obsured. Yugumo`s torpedo damage is over 20000, 3 hits should be over 60000 damage, even if the target is Yamato which have a torpedo protection over 50 percent, it still  cant be only 16000 damage for 3 hits.

and for second picture, just look for that black window on Atlanta, it says my Kaga only landed one AP shell on Atlanta, and it caused 5243 damage.

481 posts
7,592 battles
47 minutes ago, lordphilippe said:

for the picture I wonders only about that torpedo damage, look for that torpedo section, it says 3 torpedo hits caused 16286 damage which is obsured. Yugumo`s torpedo damage is over 20000, 3 hits should be over 60000 damage, even if the target is Yamato which have a torpedo protection over 50 percent, it still  cant be only 16000 damage for 3 hits.

and for second picture, just look for that black window on Atlanta, it says my Kaga only landed one AP shell on Atlanta, and it caused 5243 damage.

Actually no, torpedo damage does not work that way. It is damage saturation. Also torp hits rarely deal full damage. Even hits to a DDs middle only deal a max of 0.9 x torpedo damage. See links below.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Damage_Saturation

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Torpedoes#Damage

It's not your fault you don't know this after 8K + battles. I believe there isn't enough education and information about the very complex game mechanics. Some you don't have to understand to play the game but some are more important.

Damage saturation is for gun damage as well as torps. The game tells you when a ships section has become "damage saturated" as it will become black and looked charred and burnt. If you continue to shoot at this same section you will deal significantly less damage. Stop shooting here and aim elsewhere.

On larger ships if a torpedo hits an area that is not part of the torpedo protection it will deal more damage than if it hit the torpedo belt. However multiple hits to that same area will cause damage saturation. For smaller ships like DD with no torpedo belt multiple hits to the same area will cause that part to become saturated and unable to take full damage. 

It becomes a valid tactic in game when say for example, your stern has become damage saturated to sail away from enemy while shooting at then with rear guns and watching all their shells do little to no damage to you because they are hitting the damage saturated part of your ship. Had a Missouri game where I tanked over 2.4 million damage on my stern from a montana trying (and failing) to gun me down because of this.

See one of my Lo Yang games. Same thing as you, many torp hits but very low damage to a DD with no torpedo belt.

shot-17_09.05_12_49.12-0364.thumb.jpg.8c3a8bb882c1a7ed5ba954e1c049f78b.jpg

As to the high damage of 1 single 200mm Kaga AP shell, well the in game detailed report is not 100% accurate. I have had many similar instances occur in my battles where a small number of shells have dealt ridiculously high damage. Look at my Dunkerque game in screenshot. AP shell max damage on Dunkerque is 9700. 3 AP shells apparently did 48.8 K damage, which is impossible. It's a bug with the reporting of shell hits and damage. No big deal.

5b667579cc68f_dunkerquekillsdunkerque3hits.thumb.jpg.4b10f18d880c6f1ddb4cd737705fc553.jpg

69 posts
8,828 battles

thank you for the detailed explanation and pictures, I didn't realize the damage saturation works for torpedo damage as well, WG does need more tutorials. I still remember it first took me to reach my first tier 5 ship to know how citadel damage works. 

455 posts
8,038 battles
4 hours ago, lordphilippe said:

thank you for the detailed explanation and pictures, I didn't realize the damage saturation works for torpedo damage as well, WG does need more tutorials. I still remember it first took me to reach my first tier 5 ship to know how citadel damage works. 

WG is making a series of videos to explain all the mechanics. Here are the ones that are already out:

1,329 posts
8,812 battles
5 hours ago, lordphilippe said:

Yup, I can't stressed this enough. WoWs really, really needs better tutorials. A lot of important information can only be found on 3rd party sites like the wiki and Youtube.

481 posts
7,592 battles
On ‎5‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, lordphilippe said:

Found something interesting while reading about AP shell penetration mechanics.

It turns out that extremely rarely a single AP shell can in certain rare circumstances deal max alpha (citadel) 1/3 alpha (regular pen) and 1/10 alpha (over pen) all in the same penetration.

Still doesn't explain why 3 AP shells from Dunkerque did 48.8 K damage in my screenshot. 3 Dunkerque shells doing all 3 types of pen would be more like 41 K, so that isn't what happened in my case.

Like I said previously the detailed report isn't always 100% accurate.

Following is quoted from one of the WOWS Wiki pages:

"There is also the peculiarity of a single shell doing all three forms of damage (10%, 33% and 100%) simultaneously. It is not entirely clear if this is intentional game design or not, and is difficult to reproduce." 

Sign in to follow this