Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Asian_noone

Is the Akizuki branch worth the IFHE?

7 comments in this topic

31 posts
2,893 battles

The buff to IJN 100mm guns means that with IFHE Akizuki, Kitakaze and Harugumo can pen 32mm of armor, so I was wondering if it's worth grinding down to the branch (I'm stuck at Isokaze because I didn't bother grinding earlier due to the "IJN DDs are bad" meme), if only to troll CAs and BBs with a hail of damaging 100mm HE spam. I know the IJN gunbotes are slow and sluggish, and I'm not sure if the opportunities for trolling CAs and BBs are worth the weaknesses against other DDs and the overall meta (For that matter I'm also grinding the RU DD line to Grozovoi and I'm at Gnevny right now).

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

It better to not expect too much in 2 new IX -X, they not much better than current Akizuki, that why WG try to nerf Akizuki to make the look little better . IFHE  still require to yo increase her performance (except you want go for AA build which is pointless since it rare to see CV in tier 8+ and without DFAA it not even a matter for CV)

You better should go for upcoming RN DD  which is already powercreed new Akizuki brand (even both of brand still not released yet) :cap_book:

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,764 battles

Akizuki is absolutely superb now, the nerfs aren't particularly significant, but the ability to pen 32mm with IFHE is huge.

The main issue with the ship though is that it's very poor handling means that when you get into a bad situation it is much harder to get out of it alive than in any other DD.  Plus its guns and concealment encourage people to get up close with enemy DD's.  Combine this and you have the perfect storm of getting deleted early if you don't have the skill and awareness to position yourself well.  What you'll see is the vast majority of Akizuki captains dying early and achieving nothing due to these issues.

If you are a skilled DD player with a thorough understanding of positioning and an awareness of where enemy ships that are unspotted are likely to be and what their actions will be, then you will be able to minimise the weaknesses and start to employ the incredible strengths of this ship.

233 posts
13,966 battles

If there is one thing I have learnt after 8k games is that you need to know when to stop firing and disappear back into your concealment to escape. 

31 posts
2,893 battles
9 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Akizuki is absolutely superb now, the nerfs aren't particularly significant, but the ability to pen 32mm with IFHE is huge.

The main issue with the ship though is that it's very poor handling means that when you get into a bad situation it is much harder to get out of it alive than in any other DD.  Plus its guns and concealment encourage people to get up close with enemy DD's.  Combine this and you have the perfect storm of getting deleted early if you don't have the skill and awareness to position yourself well.  What you'll see is the vast majority of Akizuki captains dying early and achieving nothing due to these issues.

If you are a skilled DD player with a thorough understanding of positioning and an awareness of where enemy ships that are unspotted are likely to be and what their actions will be, then you will be able to minimise the weaknesses and start to employ the incredible strengths of this ship.

I mean I'm just trying to get an IFHE captain for Akizuki in preparation for Harugumo, since I want to troll CAs and BBs with 32mm penetration. I know the Akizuki and co has poor handling, but I just want the trollguns. 

326 posts
10,519 battles

If u want to get a great chance of penetration, yes u can take it. But with the situation of Akizuki right now & the latest nerf as well, she's really hard to play especially in high tier battle.

Been play Akizuki quite long, the only thing were great about her was her gun. The other? Meh....

U are slow compare to the other DD's, even enemy cruiser can chase u without any problem.  Ur handling & turning radius are freaking bad, so u need adapt her like u play a cruiser. U have good concealment, but with the recent meta of radar in high tier battle, u just become favourite meal to ur enemies, which I frequently seen new Akizuki player who just cap without releasing what kind their opponent ship were using in battle. 

So far, I do love to play Akizuki,  but at the same time really hate her as well. I also feel please to see Akizuki got new line tech tree for the upcoming update, but with her sister will suffer just like Akizuki & there a lots DD hunter in high tier, don't expect high expectation on them.

P/s: Just take HSF Harekaze & put her gun module just like Akizuki. She's fast, better maneuverability, better concealment, better x2 torps & shes PREMIUM.

Sign in to follow this