Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gorean_2018

What is it I haven't grasped ?

13 comments in this topic

7 posts
12,970 battles

Yet another newbie's question but I cannot find an answer in existing posts.

Playing random battle with tier 1 ships and I find the enemy are able to go invisible.
I assume this is by way of smoke screen and I can see the last known enemy position but I can see no evidence of any smoke screen.

The most recent battle I played had 3 x Black Swan and all went invisible / disappeared.

My own tier 1 ships don't currently have the facility to generate smoke so what have I missed that gives the enemy this advantage ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1,494 posts
2 minutes ago, Gorean_2018 said:

Yet another newbie's question but I cannot find an answer in existing posts.

Playing random battle with tier 1 ships and I find the enemy are able to go invisible.
I assume this is by way of smoke screen and I can see the last known enemy position but I can see no evidence of any smoke screen.

The most recent battle I played had 3 x Black Swan and all went invisible / disappeared.

My own tier 1 ships don't currently have the facility to generate smoke so what have I missed that gives the enemy this advantage ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

A couple of things to consider are. That the enemy ships may have gone outside of your own spotting range ( or your fleets spotting range) , so in effect, None of you can 'see' the enemy in line of sight...

Also, different ships have different spotting ranges, so some ships can see (& also be seen) further away.

All the spotting ranges of each ship can be seen in the ships information in port, when you look at each on in the tech tree... Generally battleships can see further than cruisers or destroyers, remember we can see them from further away as well.

The last technical part of the reply is, the game doesn't render the enemy ship instantly, so they can sometimes be 'invisible' when you shoot at them, it can take up to 2 seconds for an enemy to render on your screen....

But, by the sounds of it, its a spotting issue that you are talking about....

I hope this helps

Ordrazz

:fish_happy:

7 posts
12,970 battles

Thanks for your response Ordrazz, however in this instance I don't think it resolves my issue.

I played another battle and once again some of the enemy 'disappeared'.

Attached is the screenshot clearly showing 2 of the 3 enemy last known location well within my spotting range which was captured as fast as I could do Cnt / PrtSc so literally within a second or two.

The closer of the two hidden vessels reappeared some 10 - 15 seconds later, the second vessel remained hidden.

Given the times involved it seems unlikely to me that it is an issue of rendering on screen.

WOW3.jpg

14 posts
4,264 battles

Black Swan concealment range is 7.0km without boosts.  i.e.  You won't see him until he is inside that range or shoots if in direct line outside of that range.  Most likely he shot outside of 7km then stopped for a while so his concealment would kick in again and disappear from your view.  He will appear on the mini map as last known position only.  He appears again 10 or so seconds later because he shoots again if outside of 7km.  Once inside 7km he will be hard spotted.  Check concealment ranges in port of each Cruiser.  

And to your other point.  There is no smoke at tier 1.

7 posts
12,970 battles

Point taken about 7.0km range for Black Swan but as can be seen from the screen capture the visible enemy vessel is only 6.2km away so that would put the closest 'hidden' Black Swan at somewhere around 3.0km.

It was my understanding that there was no smoke capability at tier 1 so that brings me back to the question - How do they go 'hidden' ?

For the record my vessel was an Erie in that battle.

Edited by Gorean_2018
Additional info

14 posts
4,264 battles

If they go behind an island and can't be seen direct line of sight to enemy ship then they go invisible and no longer appear as a marker.  The only reason you can see the other ship is because your friendly is spotting him directly.  

Using islands and being hidden is a very useful tactic especially in USN Cruisers who can use their high arc shells to lob fire over islands without being spotted.

Edited by AndersVolvker

7 posts
12,970 battles

image.thumb.png.2bea68939520621d02607073fe8d172c.png

15 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

I also have a question, how the heck do you have almost 9000 battles and not know this?

Probably because almost all have been in the coop battles and it is not something I experienced to any degree there.

It's only recently I started Random battles where it became far more apparent.

7 posts
12,970 battles
52 minutes ago, AndersVolvker said:

If they go behind an island and can't be seen direct line of sight to enemy ship then they go invisible and no longer appear as a marker.  The only reason you can see the other ship is because your friendly is spotting him directly.  

Using islands and being hidden is a very useful tactic especially in USN Cruisers who can use their high arc shells to lob fire over islands without being spotted.

Thank you !!
That makes much more sense to me.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
52 minutes ago, Gorean_2018 said:

image.thumb.png.2bea68939520621d02607073fe8d172c.png

Probably because almost all have been in the coop battles and it is not something I experienced to any degree there.

It's only recently I started Random battles where it became far more apparent.

ah, I see

you might want to go hit up the WG wiki before you play randoms wo brush up on whatever you need to

980 posts
12,617 battles

It's funny because certain sources of information in this thread, which are well established to generally not be optimal in terms of quality for explanation of game mechanics, have filled this discussion. 

Not a comment about whether the advice that has been provided could be accurate, reliable, or useful, but it may not be in the best interests of the OP to rely on such information, given the reputation of its sources.

Edited by LordTyphoon

Sign in to follow this