Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DFaultPlayR69

Is the USS Salem worth the coal?

12 comments in this topic

70 posts
3,170 battles

I know I'm still far from getting the Salem, (cuz I only have 50k coal atm) but I want to plan ahead whether if I should get the Salem or Musashi. What I want to know is, how does it compare to it's counterpart, the Des Moines, and does it compete well against other tierX ships?  Also, how good is it with credit farming compared to other high tier premiums like Missouri, Musashi, and Kronshtadt?

For playstyle, I think I know how to use US Cruisers, I already have Baltimore and Cleveland, and almost ready to get the Buffalo.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

It has no credit bonus like the Kronk and Musashi (and even more, the Missouri) do.  It is identical to the DM except it has slightly less health, T7 radar, and a 40% heal instead of the usual 14% that queues up 33% of citadel damage instead of the usual 10%. In terms of how good it is against other T10's, it is the same as any other T10, they are all pretty good.  It really comes down to how good you are with the ship rather than how good the ship is - T10 is a very balanced tier.

If you like the play style of US cruisers then I'd say get it and get the Musashi or Kronk with free xp.  If you need a credit farmer definitely get something else.

487 posts
7,619 battles
Go for the Musashi. Here is a link to Little White Mouses in depth review of USS Salem. Should provide the answers you need. She is my go to girl for info on any upcoming ships.:cap_like:

The TL;DR version is that USS Salem is a shorter range (no spotter plane consumable) slightly crappier version of Des Moines. While Salem has a RN style super heal it has no economic bonuses other than reduced repair cost. Salem also gets the Atlanta radar with only 8.5 km range and 25 sec duration. Also Salem has no 20 mm Oerlikon AA guns at all. So no short range AA bubble like Des Moines. The 76 mm guns are easier to get knocked out from HE spam, so something to think about.

Honestly if it were me I would put my coal towards the Musashi and get Buffalo and grind to the Des Moines. IMO Des Moines is the better ship. Salem's economy just plain sucks. 

Quick Summary:  A short-ranged Des Moines-class cruiser with British mutant-healing powers. Pro's and Con's in bold are the things different between Des Moines and Salem.

PROS
  • Thick, 27mm bow which prevents AP shell overmatching of 381mm guns and smaller.
  • Repair Party consumable heals up to 23,856hp per charge (!) with four charges.
  • Citadel is HE proof with a belt of 152mm.
  • Ridiculously fast rate of fire for 203mm guns with a 5.5 second reload.
  • Improved auto-ricochet angles on her AP shells.
  • 203mm HE shells allow her to easily stack damage against all targets without the requirement of a deep skill build.
  • One of the best fire starters in the game.
  • Good anti-aircraft firepower.
CONS
  • Small hit point pool for a tier X cruiser at 49,700hp.
  • Citadel sits well over the waterline.
  • No 20mm Oerlikon AA guns at all. Unlike Des Moines, Salem has no short range AA bubble.
  • Horrible torpedo defense.
  • Very short ranged for a tier X cruiser with a stock reach of 15.8km and no Spotter Aircraft consumable.
  • Low shell velocity on her main battery which makes her shells 'float' over long distances.
  • Sluggish gun handling with a 6.0º/s turret rotation speed.
  • Surveillance Radar consumable is the Atlanta version -- short ranged (8.5km) and short lasting (25s).

• The ship has no significant economic bonuses beyond a reduced repair cost.  She earns less experience than a tier X ship with premium camouflage and playing her regularly may end up costing a player credits, making regular play unsustainable. (!)
Edited by HobartAWD

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

When thinking about what premiums to get, I find the most important consideration is how well it will fit your preferred style.  I love the Sims for example, and do well in it, but many people think it's terrible.  The Musashi is another good example, it's completely overpowered, but incredibly boring to play (it's very static and handles poorly), so I haven't bought it and have zero desire to despite having 2.3m free xp atm.  The Kronshtadt is another one that divides opinions, I love it and play it as a mobile flanker, but some people don't like the dispersion, overpens, and think it's too squishy (it's also a bit OP, but not as much as the Musashi).

So basically work out what sort of ship you like to play, how you prefer to play the game, and then buy ships that you think will fit your play style well.

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

To summarize Salem is good for yolo play style, while DM is island friendly sheep.

If for some reason you tired hugging  your beloved island , you want yolo without worry  being deleted too and coincidentally have a tons of resource and don't know what to do with it. Salem is there for the sake of those reason ,  not sure if she worth that much though .:cap_hmm:

Edited by K135Blitzkrieg

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

I would say, Salem is worth the coal. The other ships in Arsenal can be bought without using coal, but not Salem. That makes her a uniquely available ship. I would say, use the scenarios to farm FXP to buy Musashi or Kron, and save your coals to get something that can only be bought using coal. Consider Salem as a DM without RADAR, with uber heal. So yah, she can be used for Yuro's teamplay spotter plane DM build. Now you have 2 options, play DM with radar, play Salem with Spotter. Why the hell not??? She is worth every coal.

This is from a collector's perspective of course. Game play wise... I don't know, I haven't even played Kron or Musashi yet even though I got them as soon as they were available... and only a few games in Missouri.

487 posts
7,619 battles
29 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

I would say, Salem is worth the coal. The other ships in Arsenal can be bought without using coal, but not Salem. That makes her a uniquely available ship. I would say, use the scenarios to farm FXP to buy Musashi or Kron, and save your coals to get something that can only be bought using coal. Consider Salem as a DM without RADAR, with uber heal. So yah, she can be used for Yuro's teamplay spotter plane DM build. Now you have 2 options, play DM with radar, play Salem with Spotter. Why the hell not??? She is worth every coal.

This is from a collector's perspective of course. Game play wise... I don't know, I haven't even played Kron or Musashi yet even though I got them as soon as they were available... and only a few games in Missouri.

Salem cannot mount a spotter plane (or a fighter plane). In real life she was built without any aircraft catapults. This is how WG modelled the ship in game. See my post above. 

Really the major differences between the 2 ships are Salem gets the uber heal but only Atlanta radar. Salem also does not get any economic bonuses (other than repair cost) unless you get the TX perma camo.

@DFaultPlayR69 If you are a collector absolutely get the ship. As you can use coal and you don't need to use FXP to get her that is a huge plus as you can save FXP for other things and other ships.

As a viable ship you are going to play regularly? That is entirely up to the individual buyer. A more tanky Des Moines with worse radar and worse economy does not appeal to me at all. But I already have Des Moines. If you don't and are not grinding the US cruiser line than maybe Salem will be more interesting to you. 

145 posts
1,265 battles

Nope. I heard that it doesnt give you premium benefits like extra credits. so its not worth the coal. Save it for upcoming (leaked) New Jersey instead.

70 posts
3,170 battles
5 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

It has no credit bonus like the Kronk and Musashi (and even more, the Missouri) do. 

Well crap, I thought I could actually get a decent credit grinder :cap_fainting:

3 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

When thinking about what premiums to get, I find the most important consideration is how well it will fit your preferred style.

I'm already used to the US Heavy Cruisers and I like their style. Haven't played any other nation's cruisers, so I'm already used to relying on guns alone and no torps.

2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

I would say, Salem is worth the coal. The other ships in Arsenal can be bought without using coal, but not Salem.

I guess so. I was thinking of using the coal to buy Musashi and use the FreeXP (not enough yet) to buy Kronshtadt, but I guess the Salem is a bit more unique.

1 hour ago, HobartAWD said:

Salem also does not get any economic bonuses (other than repair cost) unless you get the TX perma camo.

So if I buy the TX perma camo, will it's economy gain be similar to Musashi?

487 posts
7,619 battles
53 minutes ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

So if I buy the TX perma camo, will it's economy gain be similar to Musashi?

Nope. It will always be worse than Musashi, Kronshtadt and Missouri. The only thing you get with the stock camo is the 10% reduced repair cost. That's it. Despite being a premium ship you get no ship bonuses for credits or exp. 

If you spend 5000 doubloon on the TX perma camo it will get better, but it will still be well behind what these other premium ships, that actually have premium earning bonuses for credits and exp, will get you.

Edited by HobartAWD

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles
3 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

Salem cannot mount a spotter plane (or a fighter plane). In real life she was built without any aircraft catapults. This is how WG modelled the ship in game. See my post above. 

Oh, I didn't check that. Welp, still, something unique.

Sign in to follow this