Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

Why Normandie's AA is so bad?

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
354 posts
9,048 battles
4 hours ago, j0e90 said:

You can get the awesome cruise liner camo for her.

Probably the only 'special' camo I really like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
307 posts
4,060 battles
9 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Has good main range, rof and dispersion and good secondary range. Also very manoeuvrable for a BB

Hmm. After several battles, She has quite a lot of disadvantages.

Low HP pool combined with thin armor, very high risk of fire, easily incapacitated guns, terrible torpedo protection, and again terrible AA. It looks like i need survivability skills. Which one shall i pick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
604 posts
6,756 battles
14 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Hmm. After several battles, She has quite a lot of disadvantages.

Low HP pool combined with thin armor, very high risk of fire, easily incapacitated guns, terrible torpedo protection, and again terrible AA. It looks like i need survivability skills. Which one shall i pick?

I haven't played Normandie, but many of my clan mates think she's fantastic.  I personally love the Lyon, close to my favourite BB in the game, and more capable of hard carrying than any other BB above T4.

As for survivability skills, you need them on every BB.  There are plenty of choices for BB builds, but FP/BoS/CE are all mandatory on the build you do if you prefer winning over losing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
307 posts
4,060 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

but many of my clan mates think she's fantastic

Yeah the guns do behaves really well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
78
[ANZAC]
Member
340 posts
11,472 battles
5 hours ago, Moldavia said:

Probably the only 'special' camo I really like.

The black camo on the Dunkerque works for me, nearly enough for me to buy her, but not quite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
481 posts
7,606 battles

Normandie is a WW1 design ship. Aircraft were not really a credible threat to BB as yet so it was not in her design to have more AA. While the ship in game has a hypothetical AA upgrade it still fits well with her original design period.

You can't always have your cake and eat it too. Normandie is very nimble and has a good turn of speed for a T6 BB. Guns are great too. You want super AA as well? :cap_wander:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
307 posts
4,060 battles
On 7/15/2018 at 10:47 AM, HobartAWD said:

You want super AA as well? :cap_wander:

Yeah, just like Lyon. It's based on ww1 too right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
481 posts
7,606 battles
53 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Yeah, just like Lyon. It's based on ww1 too right?

Lyon class was to be built after the Normandie class. The 4 ships of the Lyon class were to be ordered from January 1915 and laid down sometime that year. However they were cancelled after WW1 broke out. Lyon though is a complete paper ship, it was designed but never built. The 5 Normandies were laid down and in various stages of completion when they were scrapped. Except for Bearn which was completed instead as an aircraft carrier.

Lyon has been completely hypothetically modernised by WG to simulate what she might have been like in the WW2 period. All the original secondary casemate guns are removed and replaced with modern turreted dual purpose secondaries. Her AA also, much like Richelieu, has been heavily reinforced with US 40mm bofors. Lyon pays for this excellent AA and extra turret by being a bit less nimble and a few knots slower than Normandie. 

Normandie in game is closer to what she would have been like if she had been built and received a French refit in the early 1930's focusing on the AA. All her AA is French.

WG took more liberties with Lyon and gave her a thoroughly modernised secondary battery as well as a US AA refit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
307 posts
4,060 battles
34 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Lyon class was to be built after the Normandie class. The 4 ships of the Lyon class were to be ordered from January 1915 and laid down sometime that year. However they were cancelled after WW1 broke out. Lyon though is a complete paper ship, it was designed but never built. The 5 Normandies were laid down and in various stages of completion when they were scrapped. Except for Bearn which was completed instead as an aircraft carrier.

Lyon has been completely hypothetically modernised by WG to simulate what she might have been like in the WW2 period. All the original secondary casemate guns are removed and replaced with modern turreted dual purpose secondaries. Her AA also, much like Richelieu, has been heavily reinforced with US 40mm bofors. Lyon pays for this excellent AA and extra turret by being a bit less nimble and a few knots slower than Normandie. 

Normandie in game is closer to what she would have been like if she had been built and received a French refit in the early 1930's focusing on the AA. All her AA is French.

WG took more liberties with Lyon and gave her a thoroughly modernised secondary battery as well as a US AA refit.

Which means that paper ships always win? Back then Fuso was like the best BB in the game. And then Lyon stole the title and now she (Fuso) has been powercreeped. And what is the purpose of doing that?. To make the older lines weaker? moreover, some Japanese ships even the premiums are harassing such as Ashitaka. I think WG has changed the principle to develop the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,007 posts
7,422 battles
7 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

As if the other tier 6 bb AA is any better.... 

Bayern isn't too bad, or New Mexi, at least compared to Normandie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,007 posts
7,422 battles

I quite like Normandie for operations, where you can make good use of the range, speed and manoeuvrability. I quite like firing one turret every 10 seconds, rather than a salvo of all three turrets every 30. The 340mm shells do plenty damage to cruisers.

 My two T6 BB’s of choice would be Bayern and Warspite, which are quite different from Normandie, obviously. I cannot say I ever tried to really make the most of Normandie in Random.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
243 posts
345 battles
9 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Bayern isn't too bad, or New Mexi, at least compared to Normandie.

Bayern AA is enough to keep the lower tier CV away i guess, it can shoot down some aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,007 posts
7,422 battles
On 9/1/2018 at 3:55 AM, Shifty_Panzer said:

Bayern AA is enough to keep the lower tier CV away i guess, it can shoot down some aircraft.

Certainly not enough to shoot down an entire squadron before they drop.

In one of the operations with a lot of planes I was quite surprised to see that my Bayern had shot down over 20 aircraft. In Random I have never seen anything close to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
243 posts
345 battles
11 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Certainly not enough to shoot down an entire squadron before they drop.

In one of the operations with a lot of planes I was quite surprised to see that my Bayern had shot down over 20 aircraft. In Random I have never seen anything close to that.

Yes, it can shoot down some, but not the entire squad. I have shot down 10 aircraft in my Bayern (Random)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,007 posts
7,422 battles
18 hours ago, Shifty_Panzer said:

Yes, it can shoot down some, but not the entire squad. I have shot down 10 aircraft in my Bayern (Random)

Well, I find that when I drive my Bayern, either the carrier leaves me along, or, when a carrier has a go, he loses planes and let’s me alone for the rest of the match.

 

My secondaries build means that AA gets a bump and on top Bayern turns well. Often you can evade the torps that are dropped by planes that get through. If attacked by a single squad, at least.

 

I guess carriers are not keen to lose planes and cause no damage.

 

There are better planes for them to chase, like Normandie, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,007 posts
7,422 battles
12 hours ago, Pervis117 said:

Manual AA, this doubles.

MAA doubles all and any ship’s AA. For Normandie, the AA is still half compared to Bayern or Warspite.

Picking MAA as the first 4 point skill may not be the wisest, especially if the ship’s AA is not very strong. Many captains would pick AFT/CE, maybe FP, before they pick MAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
81 posts
2,763 battles
2 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

MAA doubles all and any ship’s AA. For Normandie, the AA is still half compared to Bayern or Warspite.

Picking MAA as the first 4 point skill may not be the wisest, especially if the ship’s AA is not very strong. Many captains would pick AFT/CE, maybe FP, before they pick MAA.

damn didn't know that, my Atlanta could be more dakadaka??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
354 posts
9,048 battles
7 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

MAA doubles all and any ship’s AA. For Normandie, the AA is still half compared to Bayern or Warspite.

Picking MAA as the first 4 point skill may not be the wisest, especially if the ship’s AA is not very strong. Many captains would pick AFT/CE, maybe FP, before they pick MAA.

Only doubles for AA guns of 85mm or larger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×