Gorean_2018

Advice and guidance requested

10 comments in this topic

7 posts
12,990 battles

Having played a few weeks in 'Co-op battle' land with a variety of cruisers I decided it was time to venture into the world of the big boys and try Random battles where I find myself repeatedly smashed into oblivion by enemy vessels I cannot see.

Can someone please help and explain to me what is going on and offer a little guidance on how to begin dealing with the 'invisible foe'.

Being a newbie to random battles I fully expect to lose more than I win initially, however getting smashed in the first five minutes again and again is anything but enjoyable.

I have already looked through previous forum posts and noted the comments about proof required or you're considered a liar so have a screen dump to illustrate what I am facing.

This screen dump was done immediately after I was killed off (again) and the legend across the top clearly shows 3 active enemy vessels and 3 have been visible but now no matter how hard I try I can only see 1 (One) on the minimap.

In this case it was a tier 1 Black Swan but I have the same issue in random battles with other tier vessels.

Just to be clear - this is not a whine or troll, merely an attempt to understand what's happening and thus improve my participation.

WOW2.jpg

606 posts
7,614 battles

Enable Enemy last know location(if you have not)

Press Alt and hover your mouse above the middle mouse extreme right and click on the mini screw-like button

They must be probably behind a island

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

Don't play so many tier6 battles.

90% of your battles have been at that tier! There is way too much going on there for such a new player.

There is definitely no rush to get to T10. Trust me.

Stay below t5 and look at the relevant ship videos from you tube.

Also, Brit cruisers are not newby friendly - you may have more success with US..

* why does it show 8k battles on your count???

165 posts
3,653 battles

5 hours ago, Gorean_2018 said:

Just to be clear - this is not a whine or troll, merely an attempt to understand what's happening and thus improve my participation.

YOu received a sniper shot xD

----

I am also new to cruisers fam . Just stay angled . Use islands they are your waifu xD NEver show broadside . Never park . Even when you gotta fire full salvo then fire it and quickly angle your ship. Repeat . Lots of good videos on aiming and gunnery . Watch them .

Super Tester
7,577 posts
8,001 battles

@Gorean_2018, I have shared a video that every new player should watch to get a faster grasp. Head over to the following thread:

Video is made by Business6, a community contributor for Warships. He covered almost every aspect of newbie days.

Although it mentions about steam, just don't worry about it.

Guess I'll just post the video here again.

Skip to 4 minutes mark if you don't wanna see the initial blabla. Pay special attention to the settings he was showing.

As for ships, there are a lot of low tier tutorials. Check flamu's playlist:

It's always easier to show it in a game than describing in text.

Edited by icy_phoenix

7 posts
12,990 battles

Thank you gentlemen, plenty of good advice for me to digest and put into action.

I have dropped back to lower tiers and 'baby steps' to improve my performance.

Thanks again for your time.

Super Tester
7,577 posts
8,001 battles
4 hours ago, Puggsley said:

Unlearning all that coop knowledge which is next to useless in random battles will take a while. Stick with it and good luck!

Strongly disagree with this statement. How do you come up to this conclusion I wonder. I have played 1.5x times more coop games than your total, and 2x random (on record). I do not think the knowledge is next to useless. You just don't know what to look for. My stats are public for your consideration.

Edited by icy_phoenix

112 posts
2,960 battles

Well I find tactics which work in Coop not much use in randoms. Typically coop battles are over extremely quickly and to get decent xp in them you have to get right into the thick of it or the battle is over before you do anything.  

Bots do bot things which as soon as you figure out how to exploit it you are gold. Just do the same thing over and over and rack up the wins.

You don't need to know how to angle well, they don't shoot that accurately, they travel at the same speed and don't dodge. You show broadside to get all guns on a target and they don't shoot you. The ships just drive into you so you never have to figure out how to learn how to sneak up on people. You never win by capping so you never learn how to manage that part of the game. Playing a huge number of games under those circumstances is likely to give you a great anti-bot game, but you will not have been that challenged that much. Call it kindergarten.

People don't do those things at all. They go from first grade all the way up to PhD. The skill level is so much higher. 

My point is kind of backed up by the OP. He has a huge number of games in coop, but is struggling in randoms at tiers which are populated by newer players. The skills he has picked up are obviously not working.

Don't get me wrong, I use coop to grind some doubles on ships when queue time is long or to avoid playing really gimped ships with some of the modules. But I don't see coop as a place where a whole lot of challenges exist or new skills being developed which work in random games.

What skills do you think are of much use in coops? 

What new skills which work for random battles can you pick up in randoms?

What should I be looking for?

Edited by Puggsley

Super Tester
7,577 posts
8,001 battles
4 hours ago, Puggsley said:

What should I be looking for?

Boots will never miss you, if you are broadside, they will always citadel you, they will never show you broadside unless you flank them.

That means, coop is perfect place to train your aim, you can do experiments pretty fast on where to shoot against which ship. One thing I learned very well was to nail DDs with battleships.

Then comes the economy factor. You can have many games in short time, very good for completing easy missions doable in coop.

You do not play coop to win, or for bragging rights. You use them as an alternative or lazy approach of setting up a training room. Check your AA or secondaries etc.