Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
30cmtruedamage

Which is better AA build or Gun Build ?

5 comments in this topic

165 posts
3,658 battles

Hai folks ,

I just started grinding cruiser lines . Currently at Tier 6 Pensicola and Tier 6 Aoba . I have 12 skill points captains for both . I am a little confused . See American cruisers have good aa by default do I really need to invest 7 points that is basic fire training and advanced fire training at level 4 ? I was personally thinking to get demolition expert at level 3 and concealment expert at level 4 and then advanced fire training at level 4 . Do I really need these AA skills for american cruisers ?

As for Aoba I guess AA build would be nice . Btw do you think Japanese crusiers really need demolition expert ? How much difference will it make ?

Many thanks :)

Super Tester
7,582 posts
8,005 battles

Sadly, in this game, cruiser builds are kinda bound by your gun caliber and ammo type. You cannot really go for different builds. For example,

All of them must have CE first, and AR at some point.

Then the 152mm HE ones need IFHE. HE cruisers also need DE.

The other ones need AFT for AA range. British cruisers have super strong AA at high tiers too.

From T9 and T10, all of them has strong consumables like RADAR, repair party etc, so you need super intendent as well. At one point, 19 points wont feel enough. For US heavy cruisers, AA build is probably the only viable build, I don't know what other build there is. You change the way your ships behave by the upgrade slots and consumables, not much with captain skills. They stay more or less same for most nations.

IJN cruisers wont be shooting down much plane even with full AA build unless up to ZAO. The skills do make a difference over several number of games, may not be noticeable in a single game.

Super Tester
7,582 posts
8,005 battles

For me, I always go for AA build. Unless you div with a decent CV player, in 90% case, the only defense you have against enemy CV is your AA. Allied random CVs are never reliable, and most of the time they will be busy doing something else than saving you from enemy strikes. CVs are a broken and overpowered class when in the hand of a decent player, I'd rather take my chances with my own AA than the random CV player I have in my team. Thats why I have "Clear Sky" in my surface ship, and all my ships are more or less AA focused. Don't really care if "CVs are rare".

1,355 posts
8,888 battles

I usually give BFT a skip, but I do take AFT and the AA range ship upgrade.

My generic CA captain build is PT, AR and EM, DE and SE, and CE and AFT.

Of course the build can vary according to ship and playstyle. CLs need IFHE, ships with fast turret traverse like Minotaur can skip EM, etc.

But generally you will want to take CE and AFT on your cruiser captains. And later SE too since the high tier cruisers have heals and some have other useful consumables like Radar.

Sign in to follow this