You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legionary2099

So fishy , WG is that you ?

38 comments in this topic

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles

I got this mail with a very strange name , a supicious link from what looks like our beloved or not weegee. Since i dont know if this is authentic or a scam or not i figure i would leave it here so maybe mods or devs can clarify

image.thumb.png.75bef69053b91cbcd2885e3a4e23d05e.png

Super Tester
7,558 posts
7,993 battles

Click on the small dropdown icon below the sender's name to see where it came from.

To me it looks like the sender was legit wg, but the embedded email failed to render and appeared as that weird link instead. You are using the old Gmail version which does not render rich text mails well. Better send that to support and ask them what was that all about. Incase it was a notification of some gift or something.

This is how it looks like when real WG sends something.

wg_mail.JPG.72cc34991810930642db83c7d47b7673.JPG

Edited by icy_phoenix

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles
20 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Click on the small dropdown icon below the sender's name to see where it came from.

To me it looks like the sender was legit wg, but the embedded email failed to render and appeared as that weird link instead. You are using the old Gmail version which does not render rich text mails well. Better send that to support and ask them what was that all about. Incase it was a notification of some gift or something.

This is how it looks like when real WG sends something.

wg_mail.JPG.72cc34991810930642db83c7d47b7673.JPG

Tried the new gmail form , still doesnt work , the text is still there.

The receipt for buying stuffs from WG still display fine for me , steam as well , so it was fishy to even click that text that shout clickbait everywhere hence im raising the issue before doing something irreversible

Super Tester
7,558 posts
7,993 battles
10 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

so it was fishy to even click that text that shout clickbait everywhere hence im raising the issue before doing something irreversible

Yah, you should not click suspicious links.

However, just to assure you that do not spend time on that link cause its the unsub link (You see in my image, there is an unsubscribe link right next to sender's name). Just ignore the link. If I click on that unsub link, the following dialog box appears. For some reason your gmail version does not support this. And as you same in new gmail too, I think WG's mail sending system went borked.

wg_unsub_btn.JPG.25d82392a29087a05ab18440116e8cc3.JPG

wg_unsub_url.thumb.JPG.df3a824dc63a3d5144859e2dfaa9b531.JPG

As you can see, same link as you see there (encoded part will be different ofc).

Just wanna tell you, don't bother about it.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles
Just now, icy_phoenix said:

Yah, you should not click suspicious links.

However, just to assure you that do not spend time on that link cause its the unsub link (You see in my image, there is an unsubscribe link right next to sender's name). Just ignore the link.

wg_unsub_btn.JPG.25d82392a29087a05ab18440116e8cc3.JPG

wg_unsub_url.thumb.JPG.df3a824dc63a3d5144859e2dfaa9b531.JPG

As you can see, same link as you see there (encoded part will be different ofc).

Just wanna tell you, don't bother about it.

Well , i raised a ticket , lets see what they have in store for us. 50/50 bet they hide an embarrasing anime girl inside :cap_book:.

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles

Btw , @icy_phoenix, i figure out that this might be a clever scam :

WG might have its database penetrated or sold it off to 3rd party company.

Look real closely :

Capture1.PNG.17f7185a822cbfc36b1a825d54bbdcfd.PNG VS Capture.thumb.PNG.28d0ccccd59c92ef47c3e56945ce74c9.PNG

The one below is the real one , which happen to have a "-" in between the word "no" and "reply"

Right on the money.

Everyone bewarned about this

P/s : WG officials , i am still keeping the mail intact , but not touching it , please make a warning toptic if this is a scam and advise players on all servers , i believe this might be large scale scam if it is not from you

Edited by legionary2099

Super Tester
7,558 posts
7,993 battles
1 hour ago, legionary2099 said:

The one below is the real one , which happen to have a "-" in between the word "no" and "reply"

Erm, no, that's not part of the domain. And wargaming sends from both noreply and no-reply. 

noreply.thumb.JPG.eb20658a39ff64946a0d69dfb6d5047a.JPG

That's why I asked you to check "mailed-by" and "signed-by" fields by expanding the dropdown. Would be interesting to see the support response nonetheless. But does not look like a scamming attempt to me so far.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

I will preface this response with I'm used to emails in English, for all I know, other languages have different formatting, I wouldn't think so though.

99% sure that isn't WG...

When WG sends you an email there are a lot more items in the email than just a link... Usually there are links in things like the logo, terms on conditions and other stuff.

There's also many more graphics as well.

The simple questions are...

Were you expecting an email from WG?

Were you expecting an email from WG on this subject?

If the answer is no, don't click any links, report as phishing scam. This most likely doesn't have anything to do with WG and probably didn't originate from that WG email.

There are ways to impersonate an email address, thus why @icy_phoenix was asking for very specific information, which can indicate a 'fake' email.

Goodluck!

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles
6 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

I will preface this response with I'm used to emails in English, for all I know, other languages have different formatting, I wouldn't think so though.

99% sure that isn't WG...

When WG sends you an email there are a lot more items in the email than just a link... Usually there are links in things like the logo, terms on conditions and other stuff.

There's also many more graphics as well.

The simple questions are...

Were you expecting an email from WG?

Were you expecting an email from WG on this subject?

If the answer is no, don't click any links, report as phishing scam. This most likely doesn't have anything to do with WG and probably didn't originate from that WG email.

There are ways to impersonate an email address, thus why @icy_phoenix was asking for very specific information, which can indicate a 'fake' email.

Goodluck!

5 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Erm, no, that's not part of the domain. And wargaming sends from both noreply and no-reply. 

noreply.thumb.JPG.eb20658a39ff64946a0d69dfb6d5047a.JPG

That's why I asked you to check "mailed-by" and "signed-by" fields by expanding the dropdown. Would be interesting to see the support response nonetheless. But does not look like a scamming attempt to me so far.

image.thumb.png.daa614c0448f71ae0d9aaabab88be4c9.png

Dont know if this is legit or not now

The mailed by wargaming.net is weird , cause wargaming usually is written in CAPITAL letters.

Anyway , customer service had answered , they said they need more time to confirm a solution and reveal the source of the issue to me.

So right now , guess i would hang the "click bait" title on that mail and go play something else

211 posts
9,931 battles

Got the exact same email, obvious account theft attempt is obvious, was going to post a warning but someone is already at it :cap_like:

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles

Welp , still no response , looks like they got quite a big bug or hole in their firewall defence.

Meh , it looks like it will take quite a while for WG to patch their security and announce the solution to me and those in the same situation as me.

1,493 posts

This email you got seems disturbing, & needs to be thoroughly looked into, & i'm surprised that you haven't got a decent response yet...      being a potential scam/account swindling/ identity theft item... 

mods, staff, please look into this, we don't want our accounts tampered with/closed/frauded    :fish_nerv:  :fish_panic:

@HuginnKR @Spotter

@lengxv6 @amade

Ordrazz

Super Tester
7,558 posts
7,993 battles
4 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Welp , still no response , looks like they got quite a big bug or hole in their firewall defence.

Meh , it looks like it will take quite a while for WG to patch their security and announce the solution to me and those in the same situation as me.

Well, either way, its a screw up to say the least, so I doubt there will be a quick response from WG. Let us know when that happens, cause we are interested.

I haven't yet received such an email, being a software engineer in a large IT farm, it would be easier for me to get what it actually does, although not sure its worth my time. Still looks like a botched email routine than a phishing. Can't wait to see they admit some mistakes. :cap_popcorn:

460 posts
8,337 battles

It does look more like a malformed genuine email but it is possible that it is a scam.

It's easy to spoof the from address on emails given the right knowledge, and the text displayed for the link isn't necessarily the target URL. When you hover your mouse over the link does the target match the text? It's usually displayed at the bottom of the window when you hover over a link.

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles
6 minutes ago, Sparcie said:

It does look more like a malformed genuine email but it is possible that it is a scam.

It's easy to spoof the from address on emails given the right knowledge, and the text displayed for the link isn't necessarily the target URL. When you hover your mouse over the link does the target match the text? It's usually displayed at the bottom of the window when you hover over a link.

Yes it does match .However , im more afraid of an injected link where it goes through a non commissioned 3rd party and leak my account info.

Im no IT expert , but better be safe than sorry.

Ill have to wait for their official response anyway , their message basically mean : please WAIT A LONG WHILE.

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles
6 minutes ago, HuginnKR said:

We have been looking into this issue, but a little bit early to say what the exact problem was yet. Will come back with details and we will try be fast.

Now that would be perfect if the gatcha link in that mail was an anime girl flashing :cap_haloween:

590 posts
2,995 battles
On 08/07/2018 at 12:54 PM, Ordrazz said:

This email you got seems disturbing, & needs to be thoroughly looked into, & i'm surprised that you haven't got a decent response yet...      being a potential scam/account swindling/ identity theft item... 

mods, staff, please look into this, we don't want our accounts tampered with/closed/frauded    :fish_nerv:  :fish_panic:

@HuginnKR @Spotter

@lengxv6 @amade

Ordrazz

Just a heads up, @Spotter no longer will go to him. Neither will amade :P

Leng will as will some other mods, but ideally you got the right person in the first @

218 posts
11,604 battles

its actually rare but does happen that scam mail is sent by legit domain, my bank did once and i reported it. although i never got any further details than were looking into it.

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles
1 hour ago, tc1259 said:

Just a heads up, @Spotter no longer will go to him. Neither will amade :P

Leng will as will some other mods, but ideally you got the right person in the first @

Lol then coukd you atleast @ a few people that is in charge in change of the people who left ?

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles
16 minutes ago, Lowyat said:

its actually rare but does happen that scam mail is sent by legit domain, my bank did once and i reported it. although i never got any further details than were looking into it.

Hmm, if this case was actually a scam done using their domain and they conceal the detail to me as the one involved i better ask for a refund and get out of this game. Just mean that they dont abide the law well, and i see no reason to continue trusting such a company.

590 posts
2,995 battles
1 hour ago, legionary2099 said:

Lol then coukd you atleast @ a few people that is in charge in change of the people who left ?

Well one of them has already been done :P myself and leng are mods as are a few others. But we are not support and the right person has been @ tagged and that is Huginn

But Spotter has moved on, and amade who was a moderator and supertester, to my understanding is no longer in the game and has resigned from all activities around Moderation and Super testing 

1,493 posts
8 minutes ago, tc1259 said:

Well one of them has already been done :P myself and leng are mods as are a few others. But we are not support and the right person has been @ tagged and that is Huginn

But Spotter has moved on, and amade who was a moderator and supertester, to my understanding is no longer in the game and has resigned from all activities around Moderation and Super testing 

where'd everyone go then?  does that mean its open season if there are but a few mods left??  :Smile_trollface:

seriously though, who's to turn to, apart from you, (need a sane mod here  :^P  ) who will be able to protect us from scams like this, or garbage posted in the forums (or indeed any garbage like stat bashers etc)

is @ADM_dude still with the game & moderator ? what about the others?

is there any progress on investigating this issue?

Ordrazz

590 posts
2,995 battles
4 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

where'd everyone go then?  does that mean its open season if there are but a few mods left??  :Smile_trollface:

seriously though, who's to turn to, apart from you, (need a sane mod here  :^P  ) who will be able to protect us from scams like this, or garbage posted in the forums (or indeed any garbage like stat bashers etc)

is @ADM_dude still with the game & moderator ? what about the others?

is there any progress on investigating this issue?

Ordrazz

Usual, Report it - we will see the reports and take action 

As for the OP, it's being investigated and is out of Mods hands. and I would imagine either support will respond to the OP, or Huginn will respond either directly to the user or thread. 

Please remember, Mods and Supertesters / co - ords are normal users like you, we have a little more access but cannot act as support. Best we can do is politely ask the GM's and even they are not support.