Sign in to follow this  
Ozsavsta

Help. Please

14 comments in this topic

[TFSAV]
5 posts
585 battles

Try as I might, using static or dynamic crosshairs I cant hit shit. I see that I have a 7s lead time, i fire at the 7 second mark and it lands behind. I cant hit a destroyer to save my life, yet in a destroyer i get blown to hell in a matter of seconds. I think this game is great, but I need some kind of help to imporve otherwise its unplayable for me, I really have no idea what it is Im doing wrong to not land a decent hit on antyhing... battleships included. Ive even missed a couple of carriers. thats how ordinary my shooting is. And yes, im sure there will be plenty of 'practice more' or 'you just suck' comments, but i would rather some constructive feedback on how I could improve my game. Thankyou!

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,829 posts
4,103 battles

Its always helpful to go into coop or a training room to see where your shots land.  All the lines have differing ballistics.   The RU ships and very fast flat firing arcs while the USN lines tend to lob ship like a mortar.  You also have to consider different lines and nations have differing dispersion of their shells.   EI KM lines have terrible dispersion but the IJN  lines have good dispersion.  There is a lot more to hitting a ship in this game than people think.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

I go by feel. These numbers are kinda too much for me to remember. I use static Type 7 that looks like the following spiderweb

shot-18_06.16_02_17.45-0211.thumb.jpg.3127355bca888123546a25b07d62d740.jpg

It helps you to align angled ships, ships that are moving away or coming towards you and adjust your lead from there. 

Although you don't want to listen to "practice more" replies, but that's the only way you learn to aim. Like after playing a few thousands battles, I can now quick scope and still land my salvos at the center of target ships quite far away. One thing you can do that will only cost you time is load into co-op mode, park your ship a bit sideways, and practice by hitting oncoming bots. Its a good practice. And if you think only lesser beings play co-op, that's not true. One of the best place to perfect your shooting skills before you dive into randoms.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[TFSAV]
5 posts
585 battles

Ok I though practicing against bots was bad since they play nothing like humans and charge you top speed?

i guess I just don't know how to judge speeds and how far to lead especially if they aren't going perfectly horizontal. Even though you were saying that different ships have different arcs, doesn't the reticle show me the flight time of my shots? So if I go off that I should still be somewhat accurate right? I'm still trying to find the right ship to suit my play style as well.. I die far too quick in destroyers and cruisers whilst doing little to no damage and I take a bit longer to die in a bb but still do fuck all damage since I miss my shots and then have to wait forever for reload. So frustrating ?

3 posts
2,366 battles

The flight time is useful, but as mentioned above you also need to take into consideration ship speed and ship size.

Do remember the cross hairs are calibrated for a BB sized target moving at 20 knots for the static and 30 for dynamic. 

Even the slowest dd will be moving upwards of 30 knots and the fastest at 40. And they're half the size of a BB. So if you're using static you will need 1/2 as much just for size then an addition of another half or even double for speed depending on type of crosshair. (Rough numbers :))

Also remember that lower tier BB have "wonderful" dispersion. You're not hitting anything at Max range. Depending on line, they all have varying ranges at which they're effective.

Also, you need to get to at least tier 5 to get an idea as to how each line plays. Try them out to get a basic idea. Each nation and line has their own flavor and you will have to try them out to figure out the details. I'd suggest the BB line if you're looking at something to ease you in at first. They're generally more forgiving.

Edited by Zeboozer_defender

[AAADD]
61 posts
7 hours ago, Ozsavsta said:

Ok I though practicing against bots was bad since they play nothing like humans and charge you top speed?

i guess I just don't know how to judge speeds and how far to lead especially if they aren't going perfectly horizontal. Even though you were saying that different ships have different arcs, doesn't the reticle show me the flight time of my shots? So if I go off that I should still be somewhat accurate right? I'm still trying to find the right ship to suit my play style as well.. I die far too quick in destroyers and cruisers whilst doing little to no damage and I take a bit longer to die in a bb but still do fuck all damage since I miss my shots and then have to wait forever for reload. So frustrating ?

For the speed of your intended target, take a look at the smoke coming out. It will give an indication of just how fast the target is moving. If you are zoomed in watch the bow of the ship to see if they will begin a turn and change direction. Practice in co-op just to get  a feel of being able to hit these ships. Also once you fire your guns always change your ships direction, never sail in a straight line and alter your speed every now and then. 

[TFSAV]
5 posts
585 battles

Destroyers are still posing a massive issue for me, as in being able to land a hit :) but with your advice and after watching the video and several more videos by him and some other largely viewed youtubers I am getting a lot better at survivability, and my aim has increased somewhat. I have come to learn that I SUCK at plaing destroyers and that I should really stick to BB for now :)

Thanks for all the help :)

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

@Ozsavsta, one easy way to tell how fast the ship is moving is to look at the smoke coming out of smoke stack. You use that to judge whether target is half speed, full speed or reverse, or about to change direction. No smoke seen means stationary for a while.

Of course you need to know speed of your target ships. You don't need to memorize them all, just need to have a rough idea. For example, low tier BBs are mostly 20kts, cruisers around 32kts and DDs around 37kts etc. Reason why I don't use dynamic crosshair is that changes based on ships. I use static and I lead accordingly.

Basically you increase lead based on distance, and based on class.

Another easy trick, fire one gun with initial lead, fire the rest by adjust based on where you think the first salvo would land.

Keep practicing, it gets better eventually.

I'd recommend playing cruisers as starter. They have quicker reload, faster speed. You screw up a salvo, you fix the next one. You are in a wrong flank, you reposition faster.. etc.

3 posts
2,366 battles

BB is a good place to start as it is generally more forgiving. Just keep in mind that at lower tiers dispersion on BB is very bad at Max range and you need to close in to mid to get accurate hits. German BB are like that throughout the line. Ijn are faster with better range but weaker armor. Usn have good guns but are slow till T7.

With destroyers, it depends on the line. Ijn are torp boats, your guns are mainly for self defense. But you get 10k torps from the get ggo. Usn have good guns but floaty arcs, so more lead required.

Cruisers are generally a bit easier for some at lower tiers but are very dependent on positioning. Low tier cruisers can be citadelled by dds. So positioning is key, you learn that fast. 

I'd say to try a bit of everything at lower tiers. Will help a lot. Do look up whiskey's gaming lounge on YouTube. He's got how to play on pretty much all lines up. Will give you an idea of how the ship plays.

Personally I prefer dynamic crosshair for anything over T5 as otherwise the lead gets too big unless youre playing at high res and lead can go off screen especially against dds

[TFSAV]
5 posts
585 battles

Just starting to spread myself out a little to get a feel for the ships. But BB is where I feel the most comfy so far. Reload is a pain in the butt, but the heals and their potential firepower makes it feel far more enjoyable from my end. I have, however, started down the russian cruiser line, and the IJN destroyer line. I find the speed and reload of the russians quite satisfying so far, but still early days, and I am enjoying the torp boat feel. Launch long range torps from being hidden, reset, do it again and again, firing from cover and retreating due to their speed and firing from smoke feel a little 'better' to my style of play then the yankee destroyers I was trying.

@Zeboozer_defenderWhen you say USN have an arc so their shells take longer to reach the target, the shell time under the crosshair is still accurate right? If so, then my leading is still crap no matter the arc :) If not then I can learn to adjust further I guess.

Thanks again for everyones help so far, its definately helped me enjoy my game more, even if I still have an abysmal winning percentage :)

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,829 posts
4,103 battles

Be mindful that the RU cruiser have great guns but are very soft  They really start to be good at the Budy and then the Chapeyev is a great ship for ranked battles etc and has great guns and radar.   The DM Donskoi and the Moskva are huge gunboats.    The IJN DD Line is just a lost cause.  If you are going to be a player that likes to sit back and shoot torps from miles then you will tend to attract unwanted attention from your team mates as you progress.    Your role is multi purpose to spot/cap/deny. 

3 posts
2,366 battles

Time under crosshair is correct. And if you look at the time, for the usn line the times at Max range are quite ridiculous.

Given that Max range is around 15k for pretty much the whole usn line, she'll flight time with those suborbital shells is usually in the 12 to 13 sec range at Max range. Now taking that as base, for the static crosshair that's a lead of 12 for a BB at 20 knots. For a DD, that's roughly double that for speed and a few more for size, you're leading somewhere in the 30 range for static, at Max range. On dynamic that comes down to about 20 or so. Basically don't try to hit a DD at Max range, especially if you're not detected, the shot is not usually worth it.

Mind you, shooting at a DD at Max range in a usn cruiser is useless, too much time for them to dodge.  But you end up with ridiculous leads, then you factor in angle and speed of target and it becomes a bit pointless. The advantage of the rocket arcs is to fire over islands. You find a nice island and sit behind it and shoot at anything in range. Theyre the same through the line. Island campers. Not really suited for open water. 

As to DD, the usn DD are a jack of all trades. Good guns with a good rate of fire, with the same floaty arcs though, so more lead, longest smoke duration in the game as well. Pretty good cap contesters. Your gun reload gets to 4 sec quite early on  Your torps don't allow you to stealth fire till the upgraded torps on the T7 mahan though. So you're a gunboat through and through. But at T9 and 10 you get good torps and you become a hybrid torp and gun boat. Less torps than the Shima at t10 but lower detection and better spread.

The ijn is pure torp and a lot of fun in the lower tiers. However as you go higher, it gets much harder. Best damage torps but long reloads and guns which turn at about the same speed as BB :). Good alpha damage though. Trick is to never be detected. Always keep an eye on your detection range.

Cruisers are glass cannons. Good dpm in return for being very squishy. The ijn line is solid with no particular emphasis, good he and good ap with good concealement. Decent gun arcs as well. Germans have mediocre he, very good ap and usually longer range and flat arcs, except the yorck at T7. French have fast cruisers with mediocre to bad concealement but good he and decent ap performance. The British cruisers are just bigger dds with a citadel and no he. Other than the usn line all others are basically hit and run. You get good dpm and in exchange can be deleted in pretty much one salvo. Mistakes are not forgiven.

[TFSAV]
5 posts
585 battles

Its starting to come together.. I definately cant carry a game, but am holding my own a bit more.. need more practice on shooting on when they are on angles. I have discovered with the clemson to not rush in but if i have to wait for them to cap then ninja it back, im in a much stronger position, had my best match of all my matches in it today. Was great!

Really spreading myself across the lines atm. German and Brit BB, Russian, UK, us and german cruiser lines and the Clemson for DD. Still trying to find what I feel fits me the most.

All the help I have gotten here has been great and has greatly improved me as a player.. just dont check my win loss ratio :)

Sign in to follow this