Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AussieGamerz

Boggled.

18 comments in this topic

[AAX]
5 posts
2,447 battles

As a new player of this game and many other's i'm always at a loss at the intelligence of developers of games and this game is no exception.

Since playing this game for barely a month i have some niggly points i'd like to bring up as they really bother me intellectually.

1. wargaming added a main gun % yet even when you fire on the target the dispersion is sooo bad on some ships the shells go nowhere near where you aimed,

so why bother with a % when it's not telling the real aim you had even if you are on target..

2. They also put in a win/loss ratio, now if you play well and your team plays like absolute <content removed> and does things like kamikazing into places they shouldn't be  or

just straight up dieing within 5 minutes of the game and you end up you vs multiple enemies firing at you from multiple angles and your just being a shell sponge and 

giving them an easy kill how is it your fault if your W/R % is low especially when you don't get to pick who's in your team cause it's random???

( this #2 bothers me as i have in the last few days had many people talking shit because they check your profile and think cause your W/R % is low YOU must be a bad player.

Also there are RULES that i also think stink and need a revamp for example

Someone is driving their ship around in 1st person and are either shooting or not watching where their going because they must be playing the game alone right? hahaha

and THEY ram into you. why do YOU get a warning and a penalty and put into the pink and even 2 times i have had half my ship's health instantly taken..

How is it our fault is these <content removed> can't watch where their going..

I would like wargaming to explain these points and justify how they came up with the outcome that these points are a fair outcome to gameplay..

I have other things that bother me also but for now these are my biggest gripes...

If anyone else has a gripe that wargaming should be fixing or re evaluating then please speak up i'm interested to hear. 

Cheers :) 

Insults/Derogatory Comments. Post Edited. User Sanctioned.

~ADM_dude

Edited by ADM_dude

[SUMGA]
22 posts
4,020 battles

1. Dont complain that to WG blame RnGesus. If u cant keep up dont have to play it.

2. Probably ur positioning is just bad. And u go to places where ur not suppose to. either u go in too fsst or retreat too late. Dont expect people to come to you when ur rushing alone. Run ti take cover when situation asks for it.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,771 battles

1. You will never hit all your shells of course, even with perfect aim every salvo.  However, the majority of your shells tend toward the centre of your aim point (depending on your ships sigma, which is the parameter that sets how much the shells tend to go towards the centre of your dispersion ellipse), so a captain with better aim will have a higher hit percentage, do more damage, and win more games.

2. It can be tough to see the effect your efforts have on winning the game, especially as a new player.  It can also be frustrating when you feel you're doing well but the other flank disintegrates and leaves you with no chance of a win.  Rest assured however, solo win rate is by far the most relevant statistic when assessing a player's skill.  Very good players will consistently carry games that would otherwise have been losses, and they have the knowledge and awareness to know where they need to be and what they need to do to most influence the game to be a win for their team.  This game seems simple at first, but there is a significant amount of depth to it, most of which many players never even have an awareness of. 

As a new player, just stick to the lower to mid tiers, learn what you can from things like forums and online tutorials and game play, and do your best to maintain awareness of your surroundings and apply the knowledge you will learn.  There is a great deal of satisfaction in applying your depth of knowledge to completely outplay your opponents and carry the game.  You will get there if you own your mistakes, learn from them, and always analyse after every loss what you could have done to turn that battle into a win for your team.

341 posts
4,020 battles

To address your concerns...

1- Noone has a 100% MBH rate. I've seen 40-50% achieved with destroyers and that's about it. Usually BBs or ships with high DPM tend to suffer with lower hit rates due to more dispersion or more shells fired. I'd advise you to compare your hit ratios to the server averages on stat sites like wows-numbers. If your aim is better, you'll beat the average even if you aren't 100% and the damage will come with it. In fact in cases Dispersion allows you to get hits when your aim is off. It's a random factor that can work both ways but averages out over time.

2- This seems to be about stats and winning. Short term winrate is a bad metric to judge a player. Everyone has days or weeks of horrible MM and phases they just can't win, and I don't blame anyone for being angry.

I feel like there's a concept of "weight pulling" inherent in this game. You have a weight in teamplay and damage to pull every game depending on your ship, and the average WRs and damages and other stats are a decent indicator of where you should aim to be. (asia.wows-numbers, everyone)

If you're playing above average, over time your statistics between good and bad phases will balance out, and you should get a good winrate as you pulled more than your weight in your role on average every game. If you fall in this group, ask for help, get divmates, and persevere. We don't blame you for being salty.

On the other end of the spectrum there are players who are bad, and don't try to improve. They reach 500 games... Even 1000 games, even 3000 games constantly being a liability to their team as they simply never do their job or pull their weight, and their overall winrates are thus low. 48%? 46%? This cannot be blamed on teams. If you're in this group... There's nothing wrong with being bad if you're willing to improve. I used to be a 42%er at 300 games. I'm now 54%. Unfortunately many of these players seem to be stubborn to accept blame.

3- Even if you try your best, collisions with allies are inevitable. Sharing positions like smokes or moving in groups tends to cause accidents. I've struck an ally in half of my games by accident, but never turned pink in the last 6 months. Damage for friendly collisions seldom exceeds 50 or even 20. The pink penalties won't appear for these actions. But if you've built up a high number friendly fire or collision accidents, it adds up and the game will quickly give you the pink. In this case you have noone to blame.

Wargaming isn't perfect, WoWs is mechanic heavy (with positioning, angling your ship etc. etc.) for a game and you only get one go per round. But I think in 90% of cases the game achieves what it wants to be: A historical-inspired but overall arcadey and mechanic-based shooter with warships, and learning the game makes you appreciate the work put into it more.

Hope this answers your questions.

Edited by InterconKW

312 posts
4,076 battles
On 27/06/2018 at 10:36 PM, AussieGamerz said:

As a new player of this game and many other's i'm always at a loss at the intelligence of developers of games and this game is no exception.

Since playing this game for barely a month i have some niggly points i'd like to bring up as they really bother me intellectually.

1. wargaming added a main gun % yet even when you fire on the target the dispersion is sooo bad on some ships the shells go nowhere near where you aimed,

so why bother with a % when it's not telling the real aim you had even if you are on target..

2. They also put in a win/loss ratio, now if you play well and your team plays like absolute <content removed> and does things like kamikazing into places they shouldn't be  or

just straight up dieing within 5 minutes of the game and you end up you vs multiple enemies firing at you from multiple angles and your just being a shell sponge and 

giving them an easy kill how is it your fault if your W/R % is low especially when you don't get to pick who's in your team cause it's random???

( this #2 bothers me as i have in the last few days had many people talking shit because they check your profile and think cause your W/R % is low YOU must be a bad player.

Also there are RULES that i also think stink and need a revamp for example

Someone is driving their ship around in 1st person and are either shooting or not watching where their going because they must be playing the game alone right? hahaha

and THEY ram into you. why do YOU get a warning and a penalty and put into the pink and even 2 times i have had half my ship's health instantly taken..

How is it our fault is these <content removed> can't watch where their going..

I would like wargaming to explain these points and justify how they came up with the outcome that these points are a fair outcome to gameplay..

I have other things that bother me also but for now these are my biggest gripes...

If anyone else has a gripe that wargaming should be fixing or re evaluating then please speak up i'm interested to hear. 

Cheers :) 

You are already a veteran. Just grind those stalinium ships and you will feel the accuracy of Russian bias.

Quote Updated.

~ADM_dude

Edited by ADM_dude

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

As I recall the reasons for shell dispersal given by WG in the past was to deter aim bot usage and also to prevent the +20km snipe during CBT in low/mid tier games. It was fairly common during CBT that players would fire from their Fuso at max range and instantly delete players at the outset of the battle.

Added into the dispersal calculations is a penalty for bad aim, the more off target your shot is the worse the dispersal of your shells so if you are getting a lot of shell dispersal you might need to focus more on your aim than blaming the game for bad dispersal. Don't think I'm trying to be mean I'm not.

As far as collision penalties go the games not sophisticated enough and neither is computers in general to make a judgment on who is responsible for a collision the game simply applies a penalty to both players for a collision and the collision penalty is not nearly severe enough to cause a player to go pink from just that. If you've had half your health disappear then you've more likely hit an ally with your torpedoes which is something that you are responsible for because at tier 6 and below there isn't too many long range torpedoes and as such you must be firing torpedoes without considering the location of allies nearby.

In short self examination may required to resolve some of your issues.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

Other's have already said most of the things that could be said.... 

However, if you are still playing on lower tier battleships, the dispersion stats are there for balance purposes ofcourse. At the end of the day, its RNG, and just because you have 8 guns does not mean you need to land all of them. 1 shell from a well placed salvo is devastating enough for other classes. And as you go up the ladder, the dispersion becomes deadly, at a point where you don't want to see certain battleships pointing there guns at you regardless of class. For example, Montana and Yamato. 

About win-rate, yes it matters even when you don't have full control over it. You rather influence it. If you have a positive influence, you more often tilt the odds to your favor, if you are sort of neutral, then you are basically at the mercy of getting a better team than enemy. If you bring negative influence, aka, drag the team down, it reflects on your win-rate. So that's why, 45% is bad, 50% is meh and 55% is good.

Just getting few kills and doing good damage does not mean you aren't playing it wrong, doing the right thing, hitting the right target, and being present on the right location along with Jedi-mid-connection with allies is the key to victory (since no one talks).

As for the pink penalty, its there for the greater good. A few bad incidents from your experience do not invalidate its merits. Sure, they can't see you, but not like you couldn't see them to avoid rubbing. Also, we know how getting team killer status works. You do not simply get pink by just rubbing an ally, you did a lot more damage than that. Come on man, a game is a program, it follows as written in code. It is not partial towards you, ok? No need to deny that.

You are only at 1k battle, plenty of room for improvements. Meanwhile, if dispersion is unbearable, play cruiser lines first, or destroyers. They don't suffer from terrible dispersion. Game has many problems, but the ones you describe aren't among those. Good luck mate.

Edited by icy_phoenix

246 posts
5,822 battles

All good points, all been said before, and nowadays are mostly treated as shark bait.

I don’t pay attention to the accuracy stat, anyone who has fired at a ships broadside, only to see shells land behind and in front of ship is aware its the work of RNGesus.

And if you have a low W/R it is you fault...somehow (doesn’t mean people get to bag you for having a low w/r, but people are people).

The general consensus (and I don’t really agree, but I have a low w/r anyway, so yeah) is that if you are not good enough to sway the team to victory over 50% of the time, regardless of how they play, you are a bad player. But randoms are random, you get all sorts in there, from the hardcore “I know penetration and armor values of every ships and will try seriously to win every time” to the casual “I think I’ll play a few battles before bed, I’ll try my best and hope to win, but won’t get too concerned about it.”

In my opinion, so long as you try your best (at any given time), and still have fun despite having a 45% w/r, that’s fine. Other people will be less fine.

And few people ever complain about less skilled player on the ENEMY’S team :P

Edited by Grygus_Triss
Spelling correction

590 posts
2,995 battles
3 minutes ago, yobbo1972 said:

I see no red on the post lol

even the mods don't come online these days

No we are still here, we just can't proactively read every thread

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles
26 minutes ago, tc1259 said:

No we are still here, we just can't proactively read every thread

ok

so I guess u haven't read this post then?

and cool a south aussie moderator 

Edited by yobbo1972

590 posts
2,995 battles
4 hours ago, yobbo1972 said:

ok

so I guess u haven't read this post then?

and cool a south aussie moderator 

I have - only on my mobile - and yeah we will action where appropriate :) but you can always help by reporting :P 

344 posts
7,075 battles
5 hours ago, yobbo1972 said:

ok and you not notice the one word that shouldn't be in the post?

just to help you out it starts with a F 

What a dobber!

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
399 posts
14,985 battles

Like it or not, win rate is a pretty decent indicator. There are other factors, like average damage dealt, average XP earned etc; they all help to paint a picture of how effective a player is.

I've never seen a good player with a bad win rate and I'm fairly certain that's not a coincidence.

Sign in to follow this