Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Yaleling

German destroyers and their 150mm guns

6 comments in this topic

[WORLD]
17 posts
8,557 battles

Hi everyone,
From their base stats the 150mm guns seem like a downgrade. The lower rate of fire more than offsets the increase in base damage, so the 150mm have a lower DPM.

But these guns have their fans, so there must be something to them. Do they have a fantastic armour penetration value or something?
Yale

114 posts
3,889 battles

Im just going to assume you are talking about z23 since thats where you are right now on the line.

Its just mostly up to personal preference.

150mm has better alpha damage, fire chance, AP pen, and longer reload as a downside. You also gain 1 more gun with the 150mm.

When i played z23, i stayed at around 6-8km from dds and played it like a mini cruiser. Would be pretty senseless to charge into a cap with T10 matchmaking and with that awful concealment and clumsiness. 

With 128mm, it would be easier to fight DDs as you are able to adjust your aim after 4s, but with 4 guns, awful concealment (considering most of the time you are playing against T10) where your hydro is not OP like z52, the clumsiness and large size of the ship, trying to contest caps early in the game isnt really beneficial at all. Most of the time you would get outspotted and outgunned, and the heavy radar meta isnt helping at all. 

With 150mm, fighting DDs become a pain in the ass, since if you miss your first shot you have to wait really long for the next one. Its one example of high risk high reward, since you are able to do at least 2k or close to 3k with every salvo on an enemy DD but will only have a profit if your aim is consistent enough (not gonna count RNG). 

To sum it up, with 128mm its more forgiving to fight dds for most people, even though you still lose out against other T8 DDs (except kagero, but it can outspot you from wayyyy further which then everyone will focus you and you will melt), and with 150mm you are able to do higher burst damage and citadel most broadside cruisers, while also having another gun and higher fire chance but loses out in gun damage potential if you are unable to land shots consistently. 

Really, its up to personal preference since both have their own pros and cons.

Edited by Exiaa

[WORLD]
17 posts
8,557 battles

Thanks Exiaa.
You put far more work into that answer than I did the question.  =)

I think I'll try putting the 150's on a lower tier boat where the stakes aren't as high. (And the gun module is less expensive.)

Edited by Yaleling
Removing typos

[151ST]
1,016 posts
4,526 battles
On 27/06/2018 at 8:45 PM, Yaleling said:

Thanks Exiaa.

I think I'll try putting the 150's on a lower tier boat where the stakes aren't as high. (And the gun module is less expensive.)

Good idea.

I tried the 150s and 128s on PTS a while back. Don't get me wrong, 150s are good but I like full gunnery builds on my KM DDs, 128s benefit from BFT/AFT, that also buffs AA (curses be to sky <content removed>).

An AR gunnery build on Z52 can be a scary thing...

I really need to work on improving my DD skills though...

Inappropriate Language. Post Edited. User Already Sanctioned.

~ADM_dude

Edited by ADM_dude

161 posts
5,905 battles

Generally, I preferred 128s over 150s,

1 hour ago, Yaleling said:

Thanks Exiaa.

I started German DD line pretty long ago and until recently that I'm starting to improve on them.

Gaede is so much fun and workable with 150s, compare to Z23. You can still fight other DDs, face a lot more Light Cruisers in general, so grab those AP and show me those broadside, or burn down BBs with fires if they aim is bad enough.

But for Gaede the numbers of guns doesn't change while Z23 I felt it's kind of forced to pick 150s.

Higher tiers you'll have to play a lot safer, and your job as a DD to fight/contested the cap, I really want the have option of five 128s instead of the four 128s on Z23.

1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

128s benefit from BFT/AFT, that also buffs AA (curses be to sky cancer).

The strong points of 128s are the buff from those skills, but I won't run those in on my KM capt.

Where there are a lot more essential skills to take (i.e. Survivability Expert, Superintendent or other core DD skills), spending 7 points on gun/AA performance, I would disagree with gunnery AR builds with both BFT and AFT.

Perhaps replace torpedo reload with BFT, but not AFT. That might work somehow.

Still, if a sensible CV wanna drop on you I don't think those AA would help much tbh, this applies to Maass till Z52, esp T8+.

[151ST]
1,016 posts
4,526 battles
On 27/06/2018 at 10:58 PM, HeidimarieW said:

Generally, I preferred 128s over 150s,

I started German DD line pretty long ago and until recently that I'm starting to improve on them.

Gaede is so much fun and workable with 150s, compare to Z23. You can still fight other DDs, face a lot more Light Cruisers in general, so grab those AP and show me those broadside, or burn down BBs with fires if they aim is bad enough.

But for Gaede the numbers of guns doesn't change while Z23 I felt it's kind of forced to pick 150s.

Higher tiers you'll have to play a lot safer, and your job as a DD to fight/contested the cap, I really want the have option of five 128s instead of the four 128s on Z23.

The strong points of 128s are the buff from those skills, but I won't run those in on my KM capt.

Where there are a lot more essential skills to take (i.e. Survivability Expert, Superintendent or other core DD skills), spending 7 points on gun/AA performance, I would disagree with gunnery AR builds with both BFT and AFT.

Perhaps replace torpedo reload with BFT, but not AFT. That might work somehow.

Still, if a sensible CV wanna drop on you I don't think those AA would help much tbh, this applies to Maass till Z52, esp T8+.

Yeah if I'm honest I don't run AFT but I know folks who always spec AA in everything because they hate sky <content removed> that much...

I run:

PT, PM

AR/LS

SE, BFT, SI

CE

*Shrugs*

Anyways - BFT and AFT work on the 128s...

Inappropriate Language. Post Edited. User Sanctioned.

~ADM_dude

Edited by ADM_dude

Sign in to follow this