Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Potato famine?

33 comments in this topic

315 posts
4,631 battles

Potatoes are becoming thin on the ground. Even in T3-5, depending on the time of day, the random battle rosters are stacked with players who I'd consider, ahem, overqualified. In T5-7 about half typically have significant clan/ranked tags, or the T8-10 flash by their username. Weekends are still more casual I guess, but most weeknights it's pretty difficult for someone like me to find any space to sealclub in tranquility. :fish_nerv: Chances are now I'm going to be facing at least 2-3 ships on the enemy team who are significantly better than me irrespective of tier.

This isn't a complaint, just an observation that the idea of tier being a measure of difficulty level is not really valid anymore. The challenge is constant, only the boats change.

The only downside I can see (outside of not being able to stat-pad anymore) is there is no longer the same buffer area for new players there once was at intermediate tiers. Things get really hard almost immediately.

Edited by Rina_Pon

534 posts

Not every players can afford or willing to spend too much money in this game but they still wants to play T10 and lose vast credits sometimes,what can compensate them is low tier game,that's why we often see elite division in low tier game,it ruins the game experience of new comers:Smile_sad:

Edited by Somedude_Yudachi

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,954 battles

Potatoes thin on the ground? Wish I was in your games.

Today a T9 BB didnt know how to turn around. thought he could sail OVER the blue line to turn around. 

315 posts
4,631 battles
2 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Isn't that good? Less players of "questionable value" on your team?

It has upsides and downsides. One less green potato is one less red potato also.

346 posts

Maybe T10 shouldn't be so unprofitable, then players will play more T10 and I'd be easier for new players to play (except for when the encounter that T2 seal clubber on a DD or had to play T1 random (srsly guys there's a clan dedicated to T1 seal clubbing) or until they get to T6 where there are plenty of stat padding CVs who didn't enjoy high tiers because of AA and if they survive past that then it's until they've see a Graf Zeppelin)

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles
17 hours ago, BravaZulu296 said:

Maybe T10 shouldn't be so unprofitable, then players will play more T10 and I'd be easier for new players to play (except for when the encounter that T2 seal clubber on a DD or had to play T1 random (srsly guys there's a clan dedicated to T1 seal clubbing) or until they get to T6 where there are plenty of stat padding CVs who didn't enjoy high tiers because of AA and if they survive past that then it's until they've see a Graf Zeppelin)

New players at low tiers play in protected MM. You don't have to worry about them. If you are experienced, and go to t1/t2, players you meet are also experienced.

22 hours ago, Pocket_Fox said:

Today a T9 BB didnt know how to turn around. thought he could sail OVER the blue line to turn around. 

You do not believe in flat Earth, do you?

23 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

This isn't a complaint, just an observation that the idea of tier being a measure of difficulty level is not really valid anymore. The challenge is constant, only the boats change.

Was never the case, btw. It's just that players who mostly play higher tiers know about a lot of exploits and apply them in low tiers.

459 posts
8,260 battles

This could be a sign of fewer new players coming to the server. In the past we had events such as the launch on steam that brought floods of new players, so it's to be expected that fewer are joining now. You've also got to expect to hit market saturation sooner or later.

People who came in those large floods of newer players either got better or left, so fewer potatoes.

354 posts
9,048 battles

Saw some classic potatoes in a coop match yesterday - a division of 2 Tirpitzs and a Sims. Their chat was soooo newbieish that I checked 1 guy's stats - highest tech tree ship was a Bogue with 1 coop battle, a grand total of 169 coop battles plus 3 randoms - yet owns Tirpitz, Arizona, Alabama and Sims. I don't worry too much about real newbies buying high-tier ships but, for their own good, I think WG should limit prem purchases to levels that they might expect to see in their games.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,824 posts
4,091 battles
24 minutes ago, FG_IMONABOAT said:

I can’t even get a battle in the Vampire without waiting and risking a 4vs4

I’ve had more luck off peak than during peak hours.

Yeap.  Peak times are a bad time for low tiers ATM.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,452 battles

Today while in my Dresden (my captain is close to his next skill point!) I encountered a Smith... firing red tracers. I think that might be the ultimate clubbing experience I've witnessed.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,630 battles
1 hour ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Yeap.  Peak times are a bad time for low tiers ATM.

Not to be unexpected since every mission/campaign requires mid to high tier ships

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles
13 hours ago, FG_IMONABOAT said:

I can’t even get a battle in the Vampire without waiting and risking a 4vs4

I’ve had more luck off peak than during peak hours.

I love 4v4 in my vampire... It has my 14 point Perth captain in it...

IFHE... Muwahahahahaha

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles
4 hours ago, FG_IMONABOAT said:

Nah I want full teams, ideally with plenty of BBs. 

95k damage games are fun.

Yeah but quick, easy wins?

4v4 enables you to carry the games much easier!

Edited by S4pp3R

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
176 posts
6,412 battles

Wow I thought here was an over supply, some of the true brilliance I've seen in the last week or two has been staggering.

Entire Team goes to bottom of map in a 3 cap game, T9 match, they outnumber the enemy at the bottom cap by 2 to 1, the enemy gets all 3 caps and wins in less then 10min, I'm in a T7 and get top XP for the match :/ 

I assumed there was an influx of special people, not dumb or anything else that might be construed as a personal attack, or whatever, just really bad players, I mean OMG, game after game, my skills are low so I notice it more as I can't carry probably.  

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles
On 24/06/2018 at 9:41 PM, Soloun said:

Wow I thought here was an over supply, some of the true brilliance I've seen in the last week or two has been staggering.

Entire Team goes to bottom of map in a 3 cap game, T9 match, they outnumber the enemy at the bottom cap by 2 to 1, the enemy gets all 3 caps and wins in less then 10min, I'm in a T7 and get top XP for the match :/ 

I assumed there was an influx of special people, not dumb or anything else that might be construed as a personal attack, or whatever, just really bad players, I mean OMG, game after game, my skills are low so I notice it more as I can't carry probably.  

That sounds pretty normal...

270 posts
23,546 battles

There is no Potato Famine, this thread is a cesspit of deceit and misdirection. May the ancestors curse your spirit for getting my hopes up :(

shot-18.06.26_05.04.48-0931.jpg

Edited by Pervis117

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles
9 hours ago, Pervis117 said:

There is no Potato Famine, this thread is a cesspit of deceit and misdirection. May the ancestors curse your spirit for getting my hopes up :(

I'm not sure if I should be feeling sorry for you for believing it...

315 posts
4,631 battles
13 hours ago, Pervis117 said:

Compared to that kind of result though everyone starts looking like a root vegetable.

(You definitely earned your keep that game.)

Sign in to follow this