You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Superb_Owl

Arson award unreachable now??

16 comments in this topic

6 posts
970 battles

Hi, I'm wondering what is the best ship and setup for trying to get an arsonist.

Seems the game dynamics have changed from when I first started and had 5 Arsons all with different ships.

I now want to get an ARSONIST to complete the Hunt for Bismark" Stage 2

Has been very trying to get the dang award... (on T4+) for 3 months now.

Every flag and commander skill on my cruisers have been upped to get that extra percent of chance of fire.

Most results have been :

Ship dies of damage from HE shells, rather than burning, as fires are harder to keep going.

Other ships come along and sink it on me. (Isolating a coward is rare as it is)

Ship runs away (DD or fast crusier)

Closest I have gotten recently is with CC VI Perth, Last got it with BB Bretene about 6 Months ago

Recommendations for ships and tactics welcome

Capt Superb Owl

Edited by Superb_Owl

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

I skip/avoid/do-later almost all of Heroic & Honorable achievement quest. It's need some luck and a lot of trial & error to achieve them.
But the closest thing you can achieve of that skill is just shot HE to any random ship, then after they burn 1 or 2 burning status, I switch to other target and repeat the routine.
Do not keep shooting the enemy ship you just burn, just give the DPS burning status do the damaging job.

The requirement of Arsonist if 40% damage came from the burning status, not HE shell damage.
After it reach 40% damage cause by burning of the same ship, then you can destroy it with any way you want, HE AP or another burning.
Of course those burning damage must cause by you, not by the other teammate burn.
2 things that help achieve this status are, use CV with alot of Dive Bombers and/or target the most cowards BB in the back so you won't share damage with other teammate.

People in here tend to advice you with ship T8~T10 which had good armament to burning ship, but that advice is void since it doesn't help anything to lower level player like me & you who still far away obtain T8-T10.
So my advice is the closest thing for lower level players to achieve those Heroic & Honorable achievement. Again, it's need luck and a lot of trial & error. You can achieve it on the next match or need 50 match finally get it.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

My last arsonist was with Bismarck in a ranked battle. No, the conditions haven't changed, it just requires luck. Once you know you have burnt a target for enough damage, proceed to get the kill.

6 posts
970 battles

Cheers all... I can adapt all those tactics I think (to non CV play)

Dang perfectionist chromosomes... they want to find/earn every reward and explore every map 100%.

Still... there's no perfection in battle, especially planning (unless your plan is to get killed).

So icy_phoenixhow do I 'know' 40% dam has been done by fire to a target ??

That had me waiting until the end of the game for stats.. is there an in game stat sheet?

Shchors is my next CC in that line and in my reach to get.. so will definitely go with that. Thanks _Sammich_

Fires at each end is a key tactic I've not used my remaining brain cell to think of.Thanks Balzarknam

I'm set to flame now.  Whhooosst!! 

161 posts
5,905 battles
Just now, Superb_Owl said:

That had me waiting until the end of the game for stats.. is there an in game stat sheet?

Roughly, there can be only estimations in an active match. You can only know how much damage your fire cause, but not the percentage. You'll have to do the math yourself, check the detailed report for more in depth damage caused.

I felt that Witherers are more common than Arsonist, but not as hard to come by as liquidator. As both require that you're the one that make the kill, except witherer.

Higher tiers are much more easier, but still do-able on lower tiers from T6 onwards with HE spamming ships, and possibly, some luck that enemy damage con at one fire. Usually, CA (or CL for lower tiers) will do but certain BBs, such as the whole RN line that have absurd HE, or T7+ Germans BB with secondary spec in the right situation will get you at least a witherer.

Maybe, try to be more aware with the enemy use of damage control, i.e. try to spam HE at the ones that recently used it and have more than enough HP to get you arsonist.

1,011 posts
7,473 battles
1 hour ago, Superb_Owl said:

Dang perfectionist chromosomes

I often see Shchors mentioned when people discuss fire. I have tried the ship when there were missions that required a certain amount of fire damage. Shchors can certainly set fires, but I just didn’t find her overwhelming compared to other ships.

I find that rapid firing guns (Atlanta, Fletcher/Gearing, maybe Akizuki) are more reliable at setting fires, even if the chance of an individual shell is lower.

Schchors has 12% chance of fire, 8 sec reload. Fletcher/Gearing/Akizuki have 5% of fire and 3 sec reload. Atlanta has 5% fire chance, 5 sec reload, but a lot of guns.

In comparison, Zao has 19% chance of fire and 13.7sec reload and Zao has the reputation of a flame-thrower.

Not sure if you were aware, there is a chance catching fire associated with ship type and tier. Lower tier ships catch fire easier: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

Regarding the perfectionism, the problem is you can be as perfect as you want, but there are many factors outside of your control.

Trying to set more than one fire is important if you aim at damage 40% total HP, and killing the ship but burning it to death. Learn to spot where the ship already burns. Then adjust your aim to set additional fires, rather than hitting parts that are on fire already.

There is no way to count fire damage you do to a particular ship. After you set a ship on fire, you see your damage counter tick.

You don’t have to wait until the end of the game. When you destroy a ship and the criteria are met, you will be awarded Arsonist straight away.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
1 hour ago, Superb_Owl said:

Naah, you just need a rough estimation. Lets just say, you keep tab on how much fire you can keep on target. Each fire roughly causes 10% of max hp to damage. So if you can remember how many fires set and for how long, that should give you a good idea.

For a 65k hp BB, you just need to do 24k in fire damage. That's roughly 4 full duration fires.

But like everyone else said, you need to be lucky. If you know probability theory, as you keep combining conditions, the probability keeps decreasing.

455 posts
8,038 battles

@Superb_Owl For getting arsonist, it is best to play high tier cruisers since fire damage is percentage based and high tier BBs have more HP. Kiting cruisers are preferable as they can chase fleeing BBs to some extent to attempt to set more fires. The best case scenario is when enemy BBs are pushing and you are either kiting away and shooting them from a safe-ish distance or just using an island to spam them without being spotted. Also, try to change target once you set 1-2 fires on a BB (unless that ship is a priority target) and light more fires on other BBs. Keep track of which BBs used damage control so you can start setting perma fires on them.

shot-18_06.16_23_36.31-0775.thumb.jpg.6f0b6611d994fe00ad03f93a32653bf2.jpg
^ 2 arsonist and 1 witherer in 8 minutes. Notice how I was kiting away from the two BBs pushing that way and I kept both of them on fire till they melted. Note that this will be harder to do in a more fragile cl like chapayev, in which case you would need to stay a bit farther away to avoid getting hit while keeping your guns firing.

354 posts
9,048 battles

With only 700 or so battles, I guess the op will not have access to any high tier ships but, take heart, my last arsonist was with a t4 Phoenix.

156 posts
4,055 battles

Nobody mentions the RN BB line? I got more arsonists with my Iron Duke than any other ship. Just keep track of who is using up there damage con and re-ignite them.