You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mxx_iron

Controlling the Spotter

8 comments in this topic

14 posts
13,786 battles

The spotter is the only element in the game we cannot control. We should be able to plot its course like carrier planes. It will fly 2km or so behind me initially......what's that about? I need it flying in the direction my guns are pointing. Plot the spotter.

353 posts
5,012 battles

Having played 12k games you should be aware the extended spotting range have nothing to do with the direction of the spotter plane

260 posts
4,649 battles

4 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

That would probably be a cool visual effect... wait, that would be too many controls for average players.

Average player will not care/realise, and leave it to auto-pilot.

Pro player might use it to only spot a particular area for torps, almost like a sector limited hydro.

Then afterwards, people will call spotter plane OP.

2,220 posts
13,691 battles
On 15/06/2018 at 4:19 PM, cplbao said:

Having played 12k games you should be aware the extended spotting range have nothing to do with the direction of the spotter plane

Is it though?

I thought the extended shooting range didn't change, but I felt the target spotting did depend on the radius from the plane.

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
22 hours ago, keskparane said:

I thought the extended shooting range didn't change, but I felt the target spotting did depend on the radius from the plane.

There are the spotter planes and catapult fighters, the OP seems to talk about the catapult fighter, but he says "spotter plane". Slightly confusing.

Both planes operate in the same way, except that the spotter also extends artillery range, the catapult fighter does not. When either plane enters the "spotted by plane" radius of an enemy ship it is spotted and when the plane leaves the radius, the ship goes un-spotted. Similarly, torpedos will be spotted, but only if the plane is overhead.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Spotting_Aircraft_Data

It would be a distinct advantage to be able to have the plane fly a particular course, instead of a circle around the ship. When you would need it to the right of the ship, it may be at the left. If there is a DD, for example, you can send the plane to check for torps, for an extra warning. At the beginning of a match, it would be an advantage to send the spotter ahead, to spot enemy ships early.

Being able to control planes would be an advantage, but the additional control may confuse most players.

156 posts
4,055 battles
On 6/17/2018 at 1:53 PM, PeterMoe1963 said:

Both planes operate in the same way, except that the spotter also extends artillery range, the catapult fighter does not.

I believe the catapult fighter also deals damage to enemy aircraft when in range and It also helps panic enemy CV drops on your ship which the spotter plane does not. 

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
12 hours ago, Anger_Lehner said:

I believe the catapult fighter also deals damage to enemy aircraft when in range and It also helps panic enemy CV drops on your ship which the spotter plane does not.

Good point.