You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Thunderchild_5

How to deal with so much radar in a DD

36 comments in this topic

1 post
5,560 battles

How do DD's  deal with so much radar?

With the new US cruiser line and the new Russian cruisers with 11k radar and with 4-6 radar ships per side it have become very unpleasant to play a DD  in its normal role.  And when you play more passive to live, your team harasses you because your not doing your job.  Yes In an ideal world the team works well together and supports each other to mitigate the problem,  but as everyone knows in randoms that is a fantasy, no one listens to common sense. Is War gaming going to recognize the imbalance with DD,s and radar ships? 

The video link is to give reference to the problem, credit to Zerra and

Flambass for highlighting the problem on their videos.

#ddlivesmatter

Edited by Thunderchild_5

256 posts
14,511 battles

@Thunderchild_5If you cannot beat them, join them. Play radar cruisers. Eventually there will be no dds and cruisers/battleships will have to work their asses off instead. 

This is what happened in ranked season 9. Almost negligible dds. Teams that win are the ones where the cruisers/battleships go in and work.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
341 posts

Do You know what is the name of this game was called in the beginning?

They are now working towards it :cap_haloween:

It's "working as intended" for them

Edited by spixys

1,050 posts
7,755 battles
2 hours ago, Thunderchild_5 said:

Flambass 

The video should be 2min, it is 12, repeating the same stuff over and over.

Anyway, there is your answer, play Russian DD or don’t play DD. Why start a thread?

1,138 posts

in a past few days, I've been playing shimakaze with 6.4 km torpedo

and do a lot of suicide run to those damn radar ship.

it's risky, but it's feel so good to see those radar ship die

every time I score a kill especially radar ship, I shout in open channel chat 'die radar! die!!'

they deserve it.

ha ha ha ha ha

[HMASW]
1,550 posts

Play lower tiers, where there is NO radar, problem solved...

You DD's have got your stealth, got your smoke, got your concealment, got your insane speed, got your ship speed boost, got your deep water torpedoes, got your torpedo reload boost, got your torpedo speed boost, got your 20k torpedoes, may be getting armour change to lower AP shell damage..... 

What more do you want???

Us bigger ships have got to have SOME way of trying to spot you buggers, before we get a gut full of torpedoes....  Yes some have hydro, but good DDs know to keep out of range anyway.... RDF is pretty useless, we can't rely on CVs (esp if there's none)

& before the whinging starts, I DO agree that radar should NOT be able to see through mountains, the radar range COULD be lowered to make the ships take risks, & the MM SHOULD balance radar ships better (or limit to 1 or 2 per match), AND.... I'm not defending the dumb BB if he goes off & YOLO or pushes too hard too fast........

BUT....... Just like we had to get used to the multiple DD perks, you will just have to get used to these perks... & you will....

Or you can leave your DDs in port, I can live with that.....  :cap_haloween:

There's no rules saying you have to play high tiers...

& because of seal clubbers, there's still plenty of challenge....

Ordrazz

Beta Tester
926 posts
15,511 battles

The issue is radar through mountains. Thats where the problem is and noob BBs that dont take out radar threats for their DDs. 

161 posts
5,905 battles

Smoke up in front of radar ships

2/3 of nations in the game have it, they keep adding in and making it stronger. We just have to deal with it I guess.

I left my high tier DDs in the ports, and only touch T6-T7 ones sometimes. Problem solved, sir.

400 posts
7,243 battles
8 minutes ago, HeidimarieW said:

Smoke up in front of radar ships

2/3 of nations in the game have it, they keep adding in and making it stronger. We just have to deal with it I guess.

I left my high tier DDs in the ports, and only touch T6-T7 ones sometimes. Problem solved, sir.

So WG cant balance this game and the best answer is to not play a particular ship or entire line of ships? Wow, Just wow!

161 posts
5,905 battles
2 minutes ago, dieselhead said:

So WG cant balance this game and the best answer is to not play a particular ship or entire line of ships? Wow, Just wow!

Mind blowing, is it not?

Beta Tester
1,170 posts
7,707 battles

I think, for starters, that Special Radar Module could have its ridiculous +40% bonus tuned down to something more reasonable. Maybe move it back into Slot 5, too, where it originally was. If you want a super Radar, then you have to sacrifice something important for it.

[PEEDZ]
22 posts
5,789 battles

Just wait until the Wooster arrives, 9.1 concealment, 9.9 radar range..

With the legendary mod, 1min 6 secs radar..

By the time you spot it, and it renders, you'll be 8.8-8.9 km from it. Good luck escaping, not broken at all.

A cv can't go near it, and a dd can't spot it.

1,138 posts
1 hour ago, Ordrazz said:

You DD's have got your stealth, got your smoke, got your concealment, got your insane speed, got your ship speed boost, got your deep water torpedoes, got your torpedo reload boost, got your torpedo speed boost, got your 20k torpedoes, may be getting armour change to lower AP shell damage..... 

What more do you want???

Us bigger ships have got to have SOME way of trying to spot you buggers, before we get a gut full of torpedoes....  Yes some have hydro, but good DDs know to keep out of range anyway.... RDF is pretty useless, we can't rely on CVs (esp if there's none)

& before the whinging starts, I DO agree that radar should NOT be able to see through mountains, the radar range COULD be lowered to make the ships take risks, & the MM SHOULD balance radar ships better (or limit to 1 or 2 per match), AND.... I'm not defending the dumb BB if he goes off & YOLO or pushes too hard too fast........

BUT....... Just like we had to get used to the multiple DD perks, you will just have to get used to these perks... & you will....

Ordrazz

than you bigger ship go up front spot and cap by yourself so DD can stay at mid-range to avoid radar

I CAN LIVE WITH THAT too

:D

400 posts
7,243 battles
1 hour ago, Ordrazz said:

What more do you want???

Ordrazz

Absolutely no use to the discussion at hand. Some BB's have great stealth and insane speed and mind blowing secondaries. Some BB even have a "new ship" button. Its pretty obvious that you don't really think about your comments here. The OP was asking how to counter all the radar in the game atm. Not playing a ship or an entire line isn't the answer as much as YOU would like it to be.

1,390 posts
9,082 battles

I hardly play DDs nowadays because of this. I expect it is only going to be worse once the full USN CL line is released.

Not a good time for CVs either.

161 posts
5,905 battles
1 hour ago, dieselhead said:

Absolutely no use to the discussion at hand. Some BB's have great stealth and insane speed and mind blowing secondaries. Some BB even have a "new ship" button. Its pretty obvious that you don't really think about your comments here. The OP was asking how to counter all the radar in the game atm. Not playing a ship or an entire line isn't the answer as much as YOU would like it to be.

So, do you have a suggestion for OP on this matter or not then?

And its Ordrazz what do you expect?

Seeing where USN CA/CL put/leads to current meta, and possibly nothing gonna change about Wooster, I don't see the reason to keep try harding in DDs.

Edited by HeidimarieW

231 posts
11,913 battles
3 hours ago, Unraveler said:

I think, for starters, that Special Radar Module could have its ridiculous +40% bonus tuned down to something more reasonable. Maybe move it back into Slot 5, too, where it originally was. If you want a super Radar, then you have to sacrifice something important for it.

tbh any radar beyond 15s is just op

268 posts
6,381 battles
5 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

What more do you want???

All valid points.

In regards to radar, in addition to not being able to go through islands as soon as you use it you should be spotted for the duration.  This would encourage risk vs reward behaviour and wouldn’t make it automatic an anti-dd device.