You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

[Literally] Manual control for secondary guns

14 comments in this topic

378 posts
4,298 battles

I see that in World of warships Blitz, there are a feature that allow players to switch between main guns and secondary guns. But why this feature are not implemented to the PC version of the game? Yes there are commander skill for it. But i think it's a good idea to implement it.

[BOTES]
Modder
447 posts
3,971 battles

the entire BB class would be outrageously OP if players can fire both the main and secondary armaments

Edited by 9mm1n

Beta Tester
1,170 posts
7,702 battles

I don't get why anyone would want this. The AI-controlled secondaries are already very well aimed - it's their dispersion characteristics that cause the wild accuracy, not any actual problems with the aiming point. That is, a player will generally be slightly worse at aiming than the AI in most circumstances.

So player-aimed secondaries would have to also come with a significant boost in dispersion and sigma to be of any real benefit. Probably wouldn't make much difference when fighting enemy battleships but would make them a lot more potent against destroyers. Not sure that's what the game needs right now.

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
439 posts
15,387 battles
38 minutes ago, Unraveler said:

I don't get why anyone would want this.

Probably because there was similar functionality in Battlestations and it worked really well. Not sure that'd be the case in WoWS, however.

Beta Tester
1,170 posts
7,702 battles

Yeah, I just meant that merely giving aiming control over to the player would only make secondaries worse than they currently are (ie imperfect aiming, missed firing opportunities, weapon switching, etc). There would have to be additional (probably massive) buffs just to retain the effectiveness they have at the moment.

249 posts
14,494 battles

Which of the 14 secondaries on the GK would you like to have control of? One? Two? Port side or starboard side? And while you are controlling your secondaries, who is going to maintain your main guns? And oh yes, who is going to be the driver?

FYI, mobage are dumbed down versions of whatever is on PC/console.

As it stands, I like my GK AI controlled secondaries scoring 300+ hits on multiple ships while I CQC a Yamato at point blank.

[SEARN]
524 posts
8,053 battles
1 hour ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

If so, then why WG implement it into Blitz? Maybe different developers?

Completely different game also. Not to mention it is a mobile game. 

I have got citadel hits and completely wrecked cruisers with Yamatos 155mm AP shells on cruisers. I'm not even running a manual secondary build.

If secondary guns were way stronger due to being able to land a large number of hits vs shots fired, like main guns it would unbalance the game completely. 

1,050 posts
7,743 battles
15 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

But i think it's a good idea to implement it.

If you want that control, nobody stops you from playing WOWS Blitz.

I personally would not be in favour.

378 posts
4,298 battles
4 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

I have got citadel hits and completely wrecked cruisers with Yamatos 155mm AP shells on cruisers. I'm not even running a manual secondary build.

Oh i get it. But wait. in the PC version, those A.I controlled secondaries are also penetrate the main belt of a cruisers right? But when i tried that with GK, it shattered. Maybe IFHE is the solution?

[SEARN]
524 posts
8,053 battles
49 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Oh i get it. But wait. in the PC version, those A.I controlled secondaries are also penetrate the main belt of a cruisers right? But when i tried that with GK, it shattered. Maybe IFHE is the solution?

It depends on what shell the secondaries fire. IFHE skill will only benefit HE shells. For German BB T7- T10 and all US BB secondaries are HE while IJN BB have a mix of both AP and HE. You can check by opening the artillery overview on any ship and mouse over the secondary guns to see what shell they have. IFHE cost of 4 points is a waste of time if only a small amount of guns are HE or if secondary guns are very short range. IFHE secondary gun build works for German BB but not only do you have to go with a full secondary build for it to pay off but it isn't very practical in reality in game. 

AP secondaries are fairly useless as they suffer the same penalties on angled targets as main guns AP shells. With the AI aiming the secondaries it is very hard to deal damage to bow on and angled target with AP secondary guns as shells don't reliably hit the superstructure and will shatter and bounce off the angled armour.

When a target is side on though and not turning aggressively sometimes the AP shells, like the 155mm guns on the Yamato and Musashi, will deal citadel hits on cruisers. It doesn't happen often though.

My point is that if you could take control and aim these secondary guns manually all the time you would deal way too much damage and unbalance the game the way it is now.

161 posts
5,905 battles
1 hour ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

iirc, the German ships worth taking IFHE for secondary builds are Gneisenau and GK. With IFHE, 128 gain the ability to pen 32mm plates i.e. Battleships bow/stern. 

As mentioned, German secondaries are all HE.

Spending 4pt for IFHE is a very questionable decision, not to mention how secondary build itself is already situational enough. You give up the potentioanl of spec'ing into tank/concealment builts or even buffing you secondaries with more useful skill that cost less points (AR, BFT or even DM if you really want to use it). Secondaries tends to aim for center mass not specific parts of the ship, unless bow in and very specific situations you will be better off without it. IFHE reduced fire chance which I consider to be the main source of damage from secondaries. Without IFHE German secondaries already have no issue with penning CA/CL/DD (except Russian ones with 50mm plating) 

TLDR, you already make something situational, even more situational.