Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Status report from Rina_Pon at 3000 (plus) games

15 comments in this topic

349 posts
4,853 battles

3000 games means I've sunk about 1000 hours into pew-pew-pew'ing warships. I'm not especially proud of this, but here we are. How's the view? Glad you asked...

Somewhere around 2500 things got ... metaphysical. Yeah, laugh all you want but it's true: how I thought about the game changed fundamentally. It's hard to explain unless you've experienced it, but let's give it a shot.

So, for most noobs getting killed is frustrating, losing games is frustrating, and grinding up the ship lines is frustrating. It's all about not getting what you want, the way you want it, and that's why things tend to get all salty - you blame your team, you blame your ship, you blame WG. At the same time, you try really hard to win and progress - there's a lot of emotional investment both ways.

At 2500 games I dumped that all overboard and for some reason I found myself playing in a more emotionally detached, calculating way. Whether my team wins or loses stopped bothering me. Of course I always try to help my team to win, but getting out-played and losing is no longer frustrating, it's become satisfying instead: Losing means my opponents that game were good enough to challenge me. They pulled off some maneuver I hadn't anticipated, and I appreciate being shown that. Next time I'll be ready for it.

So yeah, I play the game now more for the satisfaction in performing individual "maneuvers" than wins or points or achievements. The structural elements of the set up and payoff are what I'm into. A perfectly executed double-tap on a pair of enemy BBs with a Clemson for example, or playing chicken in a Furutaka against an enemy Kaiser and watching his entire volley bounce before you skew sideways and launch your torps. Getting the distances and firing angles on Cleveland just right so your shells skim the ridgeline of the island before roasting the ship on the other side. Even a well-executed cooperative smoke drop. We lost? Meh, everyone loses. Did you see my spectacular torpedobeats back there though?

Current port status:

Premiums: Scharnhorst, Atago, Sims. Enjoyable ships all, though I continue to suck wienerschnitzel at Scharnhorst.

Preferred sealclubbers: Wyoming, Clemson.

Fun scrappy underdogs: Furutaka, Hatsuharu

Team carry: Myoko

Works in progess: Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu, La Galissoniere , Farragut, Mogami.

Ships I really want but do not have yet: Fletcher

Ships I really want to be better at playing: Mogami

I had so much fun in Clemson that I gave Nicolas a whirl and quickly ended up with Farragut, as well as buying Sims. Being able to gun down any enemy DD at close range the USN DD line can dictate the battle outcome in ways few other ship lines can match. After playing the IJN DD line so long it's quite a power trip. DDs are where I am right now, though cruisers are still my main expertise and first love. BBs I'm not really into so much, I only really sail out in one for some lols or to show potatoes the value of playing aggressive support in a battleship.

Mogami is my stake in the whole T8-10 gameplay thing, and where I still get routinely punished. It's kind of a double whammy - I'm in a ship which is bottom tier and can be cut to ribbons by just about anything, and I'm most likely one of the least experienced players on the team. N. Cal much the same story. T8 really does feel like going back to school. Still, good I guess that there is no sign of running out of challenges anytime soon.

Edited by Rina_Pon

435 posts
6,221 battles

You step off other games where you control the campaign, achieve victory and get an end result, win!

This game can be a slap in the face when you can’t control the win. :Smile_sad:

129 posts

no matter how skilled are you, you cannt beat DC and electric blackout...

prefered ship : Gadjah Mada for fun

Carry ship : IJN or Premium CV (except Hiryu & Kaga) or essek and Memeway or BB lel

the truth is...i am more skilled at playing CV or BB  and very noob DD captain lol, yet i pick DD for gunboating fun.

[PANTS]
188 posts
10,443 battles
10 minutes ago, Balzarknam said:

the truth is...i am more skilled at playing CV 

You are welcomed to play CV when I'm in the Mino and as enemy side  :Smile_hiding:

129 posts
5 hours ago, _AkaNo said:

You are welcomed to play CV when I'm in the Mino and as enemy side  :Smile_hiding:

i already destroy memetaur and desmeme just saying. in the end luck matter.......

[LBAS]
4,579 posts
26,002 battles
4 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Current port status:

Premiums: Scharnhorst, Atago, Sims. Enjoyable ships all, though I continue to suck wienerschnitzel at Scharnhorst.

Preferred sealclubbers: Wyoming, Clemson.

Fun scrappy underdogs: Furutaka, Hatsuharu

Team carry: Myoko

Works in progess: Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu, La Galissoniere , Farragut, Mogami.

Ships I really want but do not have yet: Fletcher

Ships I really want to be better at playing: Mogami

join when u still at mid and low tiers

high tiers much more hurt

156 posts
4,055 battles
4 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

At 2500 games I dumped that all overboard and for some reason I found myself playing in a more emotionally detached, calculating way. Whether my team wins or loses stopped bothering me. Of course I always try to help my team to win, but getting out-played and losing is no longer frustrating, it's become satisfying instead: Losing means my opponents that game were good enough to challenge me. They pulled off some maneuver I hadn't anticipated, and I appreciate being shown that. Next time I'll be ready for it.

So yeah, I play the game now more for the satisfaction in performing individual "maneuvers" than wins or points or achievements. The structural elements of the set up and payoff are what I'm into. ..... We lost? Meh, everyone loses. Did you see my spectacular torpedobeats back there though?

giphy.gif

349 posts
4,853 battles
2 hours ago, MatterCore said:

join when u still at mid and low tiers

high tiers much more hurt

Yeah, I think I started posting here still wet behind the ears at 500-1000 games.

Now I have to deal with Yamato shells making big holes in my Mogami.

'plus ça change'

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles
8 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Pepe_REEEE_AK47.gif.c39e9496fad094ce68d65427a8be8104.gif
. . . TRAITOR . . . ! ! !
THIS IS BLASPHEMY . . . ! ! !

231 posts
11,913 battles
On 6/6/2018 at 4:25 PM, Rina_Pon said:

Yeah, I think I started posting here still wet behind the ears at 500-1000 games.

Now I have to deal with Yamato shells making big holes in my Mogami.

'plus ça change'

never managed to get my mogami to work. its just too bad at taking damage although angled

349 posts
4,853 battles
14 hours ago, Lowyat said:

never managed to get my mogami to work. its just too bad at taking damage although angled

On ~80 battles my cumulative stats are still below average but I feel I'm starting to get the hang of her.

My nutshell advice is "stay safe, shoot lots". I'm talking about the 155mm IHFE DPM monster version here. The 203mm build presumably plays more in the "sneak up and shoot, disappear" mode of Myoko/Atago/(Ibuki).

With the 155mm, you need to be able to open up windows of opportunity where you can rain down sustained volleys on an enemy without taking significant return fire. You have to make that 90 round-per-minute dakka dakka work, and to do that you need to be shooting continuously, and to do that you need to stay in a safe spot. Concealment modules and captain skills aren't much use since you'll always want to be shooting, safety for the Mogami comes in sitting behind cover and/or staying close behind friendly ships. With the rudder shift mods, she is also an excellent kiting ship.

I find that despite having hydro Mogami cannot give close support to friendly DDs contesting caps because she cannot engage enemy KM or USN cruisers at par. You just don't have the necessary durability. In fact I find it nearly impossible to dictate the flow of the battle at all at high tiers, it's basically up to the BBs on my team to decide what they are going to do, and then I go with them and try to help them accomplish it. My best games typically involve pairing up with a friendly top tier BB and shooting at whatever they shoot at. It's when you can work closely as a part of a group that the Mogami really shines though. Putting 40k on a Conqueror by yourself will just be mopped up on his next heal, it's putting 40k on a Conqueror with another 30k from another cruiser and a CV torp drop and a few pens from friendly BBs to put it under that wins matches.

265 posts
4,731 battles

You should be having at least 1 tier X at 3000 battles, but I guess you must be enjoying lower tiers.

349 posts
4,853 battles
1 hour ago, GRADAN31 said:

You should be having at least 1 tier X at 3000 battles, but I guess you must be enjoying lower tiers.

I was thinking about that. I'm definitely not the most efficient WoWS player. I've got close to 1 million XP on elite ships, and a dozen 10-12 point captains but nobody with 13+, and am grinding 7 different tech trees concurrently. So my effort is all really spread out, and largely worthless from an advancement point of view.

But, yeah, I do enjoy lower tiers...

265 posts
4,731 battles
20 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

I was thinking about that. I'm definitely not the most efficient WoWS player. I've got close to 1 million XP on elite ships, and a dozen 10-12 point captains but nobody with 13+, and am grinding 7 different tech trees concurrently. So my effort is all really spread out, and largely worthless from an advancement point of view.

But, yeah, I do enjoy lower tiers...

I see, I am just a bit more efficient than you, partially grinding/playing multiple tech tree, which the usual starting point is tier 6(:Smile_hiding:). (partially because still playing tier X to earn elite commander xp)

Sign in to follow this