You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Somedude_Yudachi

Am I the only one who thinks Hermes is the worst operation?

26 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
212 posts
4,131 battles

:v

Still not bad as ultimate front line, still atleast get 4-5 star most of time and get victory with a so so team:cap_tea:

212 posts
13,724 battles

Hermes is easy given the lack of ship choices. Maybe its the lack of ship choices that makes people dislike it.

I would say between Defence of Newport and Killer Whale and Ultimate Frontier, the three are my least desirable ops when lemmings play them.

Newport being that if your team are so passive you lose.

Killer whale being people don't target the secondary objectives and run off to the escape zone... when EVERYONE IS STILL ALIVE.

Ultimate Frontier being people go campy at the heal, forget that damn atlanta, ignore the cleveland and go YOLO for the 2 dds at the beginning. Oh, and also the T7 bbs play sudoku with a TIER 4 CLEMSON and get mauled.

1,271 posts
8,549 battles
1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Hermes is easy given the lack of ship choices. Maybe its the lack of ship choices that makes people dislike it.

This is why I dislike Hermes. Probably not going to like the upcoming Operation because of this as well.

381 posts
9,887 battles

Hadn't run it for a while and I used to think it's better than the buffed Ultimate Frontier. At least until yesterday when I decided to complete the 5* mission for 1 day of premium.

Things went pretty well and we sailed for 2/3 of the way to the extraction point fairly smoothly. Then by some magic, our bot Rouan decided to sail in a straight line and eat all 8 torps from enemy Gaede which I spotted with sonar from 5km away and was left with 6k hp.

To make it worse, all ships from the last enemy wave before the extraction point literally ignored everyone surrounding the Rouan and focused on it instead. 30s later we received a "Defeat" message.

So yeah, Hermes is the worst operation in my eyes now :Smile_sceptic:

58 posts
3,225 battles
3 hours ago, Thyaliad said:
4 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

This is why I dislike Hermes. Probably not going to like the upcoming Operation because of this as well.

No. if those people doesnt like, let them dislike as they please. Otherwise "historical accuracy" will get worse.

In example, Lets imagine theres a "Battle of Tsushima" Operation. where enemy is Japanese or Russian and youre stricted to take the opposite nation ships of whatever the enemy is. Now removing this striction means *Le TAKE MURICAN SHIPS* :cap_haloween:

1,441 posts

Our clan loves operation Hermes, if you don't shoot down the first planes, you get more attacking later on,which is good, so we turn off our AA first, then switch it back on , & the enemy ships keep spawning from different sides....    (& we can shoot each other without doing any damage or turning pink :cap_haloween:)

& even for us, there's no guarantee we 5 star it, & it makes keep doing it until we do, so its a great team mission...

Also the fact of limited selection of ships, makes us use skill more, instead of relying on OP ness & toughness of some ships.... & the thunderstorm, love it.... & the Graf Zeppelin, great too, especially with those screaming stukas

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

[LNA]
1,613 posts
10,233 battles
1 hour ago, Ordrazz said:

Our clan loves operation Hermes, if you don't shoot down the first planes, you get more attacking later on,which is good, so we turn off our AA first, then switch it back on , & the enemy ships keep spawning from different sides....    (& we can shoot each other without doing any damage or turning pink :cap_haloween:)

& even for us, there's no guarantee we 5 star it, & it makes keep doing it until we do, so its a great team mission...

Also the fact of limited selection of ships, makes us use skill more, instead of relying on OP ness & toughness of some ships.... & the thunderstorm, love it.... & the Graf Zeppelin, great too, especially with those screaming stukas

Ordrazz

just bring 4 atlantas + 2 heavy BB specialized for brawling+ 1 heavy cruiser to chase the CV , auto win.

I dont even know how ez it is. Atlantas just shred planes and their RoF will rain destruction on any closing bots.

317 posts
10,385 battles

I love when enemy German BB's come in the game in 3rd wave deliver a salvo and deal mass damage or kill u instantly  like nobody business.

Muahahaha

39 posts
5,212 battles

Ah Hermes... today's run was a classic. An Algerie at the start had no idea why I was trying to move to port in my Fiji (to get at the early scout planes). Much blowing of horns ensued. Fortunately another Fiji knew what he was doing and helped with the scout planes. 

Then at the first wave of BBs a Richelieu turned hard a-port across (actually right through) me and just kept plowing on regardless so that he could sail straight into the midst of them. Enthusiastic to 'get at them', I guess? He actually survived (barely), but subsequently was so out of position that he had absolutely no chance of getting to the heal area (it didn't seem that he understood anything about the scenario) so the first wave of planes finished him off. 

When I checked his profile post-scenario I was expecting newb stats. But the guy had nearly 4,000 battles and was a 10 in ranked play!? Perhaps he'd simply never done Hermes before? 

I'm still enjoying Hermes. A 5-star pug doesn't come easily but isn't impossible.

Conversely, Ultimate Frustration has just descended into a chaotic sea of floating carnage and I'm not bothering with it for a while.

Killer Whale is hit and miss. Strange how suddenly so many captains simply dash for the exit, abandoning completely achievable mission elements; but occasionally one or more captain/s will read (and understand) text messages and  all goes well. 

I find Newport is a good challenge. It's only from reading the forums here that I learned not to hit the CVs early (a mechanic that I think applies across scenarios?). Winning usually depends on how many suicide or how many think they need to withdraw to heal after receiving 10% damage :/ But as long as the final attack isn't allowed to start early I enjoy the frequently close finishes the Newport dishes up: three of us left fighting for our lives to protect the base installations and repair ships.

[CLAY]
193 posts
5,693 battles
On 02/06/2018 at 11:44 PM, dejiko_nyo said:

Killer whale being people don't target the secondary objectives and run off to the escape zone... when EVERYONE IS STILL ALIVE.

On 03/06/2018 at 12:07 PM, Farlesquew said:

Killer Whale is hit and miss. Strange how suddenly so many captains simply dash for the exit, abandoning completely achievable mission elements

Killer Whale is one of my favourites, if not my favourite. Especially in my Ryujo. (Lots of large, slow moving, or stationery targets with little to no AA defence to target). The mission itself is easy, but the challenge comes from the secondary objectives.

I actually find the opposite problem to the above, there are some players who just won’t go to the end cap. Though there have been some who have capped early as well. But the fact is you can usually 5 Star it with half a competent team.

75 posts
2,648 battles

First time I have played it on Friday and probably got a dozen runs at it over the weekend. I only have an Atlanta, which is pretty ideal for this one. All wins, and by the 3rd time had it figured myself and got a heap of points, one I had 86 planes shot down. Mostly 3 and 4 stars (BB not sinking GF) a couple of 5 stars.

Good fun and I really like it.

@ordrazz ... now I know why more planes turned up on one occasion, I missed being on the port side a couple of times and they didn't get all the planes at the start.

212 posts
13,724 battles
3 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Killer Whale is one of my favourites, if not my favourite. Especially in my Ryujo. (Lots of large, slow moving, or stationery targets with little to no AA defence to target). The mission itself is easy, but the challenge comes from the secondary objectives.

I actually find the opposite problem to the above, there are some players who just won’t go to the end cap. Though there have been some who have capped early as well. But the fact is you can usually 5 Star it with half a competent team.

I do understand your issue. That does happen with the failure to cap and mainly because people want to stretch the timer to farm kills. And then their plan horribly backfires leaving no one near enough to exit. I feel though that failure to achieve secondaries is more annoying since it is very doable. Some people sacrifice themselves for the objectives, the others escape.

Frankly, it's not the ops that have issues; it's the cluelessness.

[CLAY]
193 posts
5,693 battles
1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

I do understand your issue. That does happen with the failure to cap and mainly because people want to stretch the timer to farm kills. And then their plan horribly backfires leaving no one near enough to exit. I feel though that failure to achieve secondaries is more annoying since it is very doable. Some people sacrifice themselves for the objectives, the others escape.

Frankly, it's not the ops that have issues; it's the cluelessness.

Killer whale in and of itself is very easy, the thing which makes it hard is what I call the player Intelligence Test at the end.

1,271 posts
8,549 battles

Imo Killer Whale is the easiest of all the ops, perhaps with the exception of Cherry Blossom.

The problem is players get too greedy and selfish, and try to farm kills instead of escaping. 

[LONER]
55 posts
2,447 battles

I love Killer Whale. I can grind Elite Captain XP in my Graf Spee, run riot in my Ernst Gaede or my Nürnberg, or slug it out in my Bayern.

I don't think it's too hard to figure out why I don't like Hermes or Cherry Blossom that much.

10 posts

I must be in the minority as I enjoy Hermes.  Mainly for the credit farming, not as good as Narai used to be (per nerf) but the Atlanta is virtually built for this scenario

a.thumb.jpg.d6fa541f7b48c87e083af308fa700124.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Edited by CaptAjax

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,761 posts
3,988 battles

If you think this is worse than Ultimate frontier then you've got rocks in your head.    Most scenarios fail due to player incompetence and UF tends to be the most complicated.

Bring AA cruisers and firepower ahead of the Ruan in this scenario and you generally win  by pressing WWWWW left mouse button.

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles

Isnt Hermes the simplest OP? You just go in a straight line from start to finish, 3 appear in right, then some german annoying BBs on left, then some torpedo bombers feed you from back, then some dive bombers from GZ appear from front-right... some random 360 degree turning cruiser on right again, you ignore them and kill the gz... then a few DD and cruisers and OP is done.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,761 posts
3,988 battles

It seems Scenarios are proving too hard for the majority of players and the overwhelming majority of players in Ultimate Frontier.

0.7.8 patch notes

To satisfy numerous requests from our players, we simplified the "Ultimate Frontier" operation:

• Bots’ reaction time to torpedoes has been slightly increased. You’ll now find it easier to hit them.
  • Bots’ shooting accuracy has been reduced, and the time it takes to aim at players' ships increased.

•