You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SycoraX81

DO RN CL's have a purpose in this servers Meta T8+

13 comments in this topic

7 posts
4,448 battles

Hi all.

A question, After grinding my way through the British CL line to the Neptune, and sinking to a record low of a sub 10% win rate with a ship, I find my self in the position of deleting the ship and not returning to the line.

I'm tired of blaming the match maker, but team after team just keeps melting and due to how the RN line has to be played, if this occurs on the other side of the map, you can't get over to help, as you are stuck looking for escape cover from the place you're already behind. In this situation it has no ability to push in the open on your flank without a team, and team play is none existent. To me, simply the RN ship line does not have a place, it is so team dependant to get into a position to assist dd's with capping, ie they need to play for a cap. Once you're there your ability to do damage revolves around your dd not hiding in smoke, or hiding behind a rock, then the other team needs to push so your range comes into something effective 11-15km. Then I find every match ends in a team collapse around 7mins in, 3-5 ships instant disappear, I've found the entire line fragile but on occasion able to sway a match in certain occasions. The Edignburgh was crap but I thought, it's all the t10 MM, The 9 will stand a better chance, but it isn't that, I watch videos of the good players playing. Those situations simply don't arise on this server. You would have to wait 14 mins to fire your guns and hope your team has not already lost before I ever see a BB push past their start line so you could actually inflict damage.

Anyway, I'm just salty, so many hours on this line, and it's purpose is to support your team, who at the moment, run somewhere in a big mob, get encircled and die. Oh its redeeming feature  it has amazing AA, lucky I've never seen A CV in it. Useless ships.

Anyway, if someone can offer something constructive other than play better, on how you can actually sway a match in this line at high tiers, I'm all ears. Think you've lost 4 ships on one flank, enemy is pushing, and you're in mid or other flank. In this situation I find the T8 and T9 unable to change a match outcome. it is a coin flip from 5 mins onwards, if they get blatted you win, if your team gets blatted you lose, and unfortunately all I get at the moment is my team blatted.

[LNA]
1,692 posts
10,538 battles
1 hour ago, SycoraX81 said:

Hi all.

A question, After grinding my way through the British CL line to the Neptune, and sinking to a record low of a sub 10% win rate with a ship, I find my self in the position of deleting the ship and not returning to the line.

I'm tired of blaming the match maker, but team after team just keeps melting and due to how the RN line has to be played, if this occurs on the other side of the map, you can't get over to help, as you are stuck looking for escape cover from the place you're already behind. In this situation it has no ability to push in the open on your flank without a team, and team play is none existent. To me, simply the RN ship line does not have a place, it is so team dependant to get into a position to assist dd's with capping, ie they need to play for a cap. Once you're there your ability to do damage revolves around your dd not hiding in smoke, or hiding behind a rock, then the other team needs to push so your range comes into something effective 11-15km. Then I find every match ends in a team collapse around 7mins in, 3-5 ships instant disappear, I've found the entire line fragile but on occasion able to sway a match in certain occasions. The Edignburgh was crap but I thought, it's all the t10 MM, The 9 will stand a better chance, but it isn't that, I watch videos of the good players playing. Those situations simply don't arise on this server. You would have to wait 14 mins to fire your guns and hope your team has not already lost before I ever see a BB push past their start line so you could actually inflict damage.

Anyway, I'm just salty, so many hours on this line, and it's purpose is to support your team, who at the moment, run somewhere in a big mob, get encircled and die. Oh its redeeming feature  it has amazing AA, lucky I've never seen A CV in it. Useless ships.

Anyway, if someone can offer something constructive other than play better, on how you can actually sway a match in this line at high tiers, I'm all ears. Think you've lost 4 ships on one flank, enemy is pushing, and you're in mid or other flank. In this situation I find the T8 and T9 unable to change a match outcome. it is a coin flip from 5 mins onwards, if they get blatted you win, if your team gets blatted you lose, and unfortunately all I get at the moment is my team blatted.

The problem lies with you. You are either too agressive ( picking the wrong rock to anchor ) or not reading carefully enemy line up and expect what come your way.

There are rocks that enemies , esp BB with float planes can shoot past if you position yourself to shoot at them with all your guns. My advice is stay angled even when behind cover and use only forward guns to spam if you are facing experienced opposition or radar sweep.

Also bewary when poking corner , torpedoes love corner i tell you , never go all out around corner unless it is a suicidal charge.

Problem with RN CL is that you pick a flank and stall it long enough so that the other flank can steam roll the enemy team. They work suprisingly well with a dd spotter or a kiting cruiser ( roon, ST louis , ibuki) or an active BB drawing attention and forcing the enemy to advance so you can pepper them.

The most ideal is that you are behind cover , shooting at enemy side by moving inbetween position to cross fire.

DO NOT EVER FORCE YOURSELF into resort to last man banzai charge , dont let it happen in the first place. Reposition and shoot from different angles.

Your torpedoes can scare the shit out of a lot of ships , even dd with the selective single fire mode. Try to make a maze and trap enemy ship away from you.

Dont manfight , this is the last thing you want to do with RN CL , instead try delay actions , dropping torpedo , smoke , cover your retreat and advance.

If your flank is winning hard , you might want to relocate to another flank that is losing hard and anchor the defence , RN CL is a tough nut to crack with allies spotting targets for you to shoot.

NEVER STAY ALONE

Cheers , hope those help.

7 posts
4,448 battles

I'm not getting blatted, I'm unable to get damage as the battle and collapse is always on the other flank. Generally due to the threat once you start pumping out shells the enemy turns away, limiting ability to do damage. Your smoke runs out, you sit there they sit at 18km range taking pot shots with your BB's, then the other flank collapses, match over. Again and again.

As for relocating, on most t10 matches, (unless you sit in the middle which is highly dangerous with the giant citadel) by time you relocate to the other flank they're on 850+ points while your team is 400 region. it is a lost cause, and how can a T9 RN CL change that.

Anyway I've sold it now, such a waste of effort. 

455 posts
8,038 battles
3 hours ago, SycoraX81 said:

Anyway, if someone can offer something constructive other than play better,

Unfortunately thats exactly what you need to do. The line is pretty good and the t10 is amazing. Granted neptune itself is a it hard to play given its bad concealment and smoke firing range, but the problem mostly lies with you.
The way you play RNCL is finding a good position to smoke up and start dishing out constant damage that adds up faster than people expect, while making sure you have an escape route if you are radared or smoke runs out. Now positioning is one of the key skills in this game and theres really no shortcut to learning it. And this line is highly dependent on positioning and planning ahead. So I advise you go back to mid tiers to learn the crucial skills required to play this line. These ships are not for everyone

1,386 posts
8,325 battles

I have exactly 500 Minotaur games under my belt, 449 of them solo. I cannot say I'm excellent at it, but with 56% WR almost entirely solo, IMO I was able to positively affect the games.

And what I feel about RN CL beyond T8?

Unless you have a highly cooperative division to play with all the time, do yourself a favor and stay at Fiji, buy a perma-camo for her, and stay there. This is the pinnacle of the line, and the last time a solo player gets well rewarded for his efforts.

I never played my Minotaur in random after my 500th game, she still works well in a well cordinated division, but for one without a constant division (like me), I'd say no. Unless you are really into this RN CL development history thing.

248 posts
14,453 battles

RN cruisers are support. Not frontline tankers. Use cover and your Mercedes F1-like handling to hug islands and torpedobeats. Play them like a huge DD. If soviet dds are cruisers in a dd skin, then RN cruisers are dds in a cruiser skin.

And when you get to T10 and polish your work, the enemy will ABSOLUTELY HATE and report you with every report they have for your machinegun fire while your team will love you.

Remember, hide and support your team. Then again, at times your team cannot even take advantage of the huge annoyance that you are doing disrupting the enemy formations and plans.

7 posts
4,448 battles

If the other side of the map is collapsing constantly are you then saying I should be crossing the map at the start???? I'm not being blatted getting into position, I get into position and the other flank collapses and match over. No chance for recovery, 12-8 ships at minute 15-13ish, every match. The only way to counter this, is for me to push against the radars, but as I said, due to prevalence of radar and passiveness of BB's, it is instant suicide to push where you know there is a radar, as second your lit up it's 7 people targeting you, and it is not the ship for that kind of stuff. 

To be honest I have not been observing if every cruiser is avoiding their radars, hence why we're getting the side collapses, but a RN CL is not going to patch that hole.

And you're also saying I'm so bad in this ship that it cancels out the entire teams ability to win a match. I wish I could have that much influence. Anyway as stated I've deleted it now. My issue is not with doing damage, I'm only 5k behind the server average, and had quite a bad time at the start while my captain was on cooldown. My issue is the damage I do, whether it is 40 or 120 never leads to a win. I don't feel this ship can swing a losing match???? Are you saying it can, and how. How can you recover a collapsing flank in this ship?

455 posts
8,038 battles
9 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Unless you have a highly cooperative division to play with all the time

Smoke mino may face that problem a bit but have you tried playing radar mino solo? I have 62% solo wr with mostly radar mino because it can have so much impact.
With the radar you can ambush dds and removing a dd early on is a huge advantage, especially if the cap has islands you can use to disengage or even cap after killing the dd. When there are no more dds to kill, you simply stay behind islands and farm other ships.
With smoke you still can have a lot of impact with good positioning that allows you to deal a lot of damage.
So no, you dont need a division to do well in it

455 posts
8,038 battles
3 minutes ago, SycoraX81 said:

Are you saying it can, and how. How can you recover a collapsing flank in this ship?

I am saying it can. But also, at your skill level, an essay from me isn't going to help you at all. You will be better off watching a good CC playing the ship and learning how they do it. Also, being below server average means you have a lot to learn. So instead of blaming the ship, you need to acknowledge that you need to improve.
Just go to youtube and search for neptune and minotaur videos

1,386 posts
8,325 battles
4 minutes ago, Adm_Kunkka said:

Smoke mino may face that problem a bit but have you tried playing radar mino solo? I have 62% solo wr with mostly radar mino because it can have so much impact.
With the radar you can ambush dds and removing a dd early on is a huge advantage, especially if the cap has islands you can use to disengage or even cap after killing the dd. When there are no more dds to kill, you simply stay behind islands and farm other ships.
With smoke you still can have a lot of impact with good positioning that allows you to deal a lot of damage.
So no, you dont need a division to do well in it

Oh I forgot to mention, I have played no radar games in random, only smoke.

Radar in ranked and CW yes. 60% WR in ranked this season with radar Mino.

but

we are only

one patch away

from

Worcester

#powercreepizreall

248 posts
14,453 battles

Basically what @Adm_Kunkka said. I would like to add that you play with the ship, not force the ship to play your style. Be one with your waifu shippu. Wait, even that sounds dodgy... ^^;;;

455 posts
8,038 battles
1 minute ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Oh I forgot to mention, I have played no radar games in random, only smoke.

You disappoint me :cap_viking:
have you not learned anything from Yuro