Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AntifoulAwl

Citadel?

8 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

On a ship, a citadel is place where the crew can retire to in the case of pirates boarding.

Is this really what my shells are hitting?

Must be a strange navy to feel the need to hide from pirates... I would think the terms superstructure or deckhouse would be more apt, as that is what is actually being hit.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Read this.

The all or nothing system was intended to ensure that battleships could survive against the heaviest armor-piercing shells in use in the early part of the 20th century, while at the same time being able to carry a powerful armament and retain useful speed and endurance. This was made possible by dispensing with the large areas of relatively light armor which had been used in previous battleship designs; the weight saved was used to strengthen the armor protecting the vital areas of the ship; and to design a more compact interior space, where more; and, more vital systems would be located. The logic of the design was simple: If the ship was hit in vital areas (the ammunition and propellant magazines; the propulsion plant; the fire-control, command and communications sections), her survival was in jeopardy. On the other hand, if the ship was hit in non-vital areas (non-explosive stores, crew berthing and rest areas, offices and administrative areas), it would most likely not result in the ship's destruction.

This heavily-armoured section is the citadel.

Edited by Syanda

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

I see. Thanks.

Edit, been involved in ship construction for many a year, don't recall coming across the term used in that manner. Either it's an antiquated term, or i'm just ignorant.

Probably the latter.

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Beta Tester
10 posts
652 battles

The Super structure is a fun place to do a dance number and wave bright flags around-See picture left.

Edited by MonashSQ

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

I see. Thanks.

Edit, been involved in ship construction for many a year, don't recall coming across the term used in that manner. Either it's an antiquated term, or i'm just ignorant.

Probably the latter.

I remember the first time I did DC training, one of the instructors discussed the citadel, and what it was used for. 

Been many years since I have heard citadel use this way

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

The Super structure is a fun place to do a dance number and wave bright flags around-See picture left.

Cher had her legs burnt after my last engagement with the enemy.That'll teach her to sit on my guns and sing.

Sign in to follow this