You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

25 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,390 battles

Back when the game was being developed, many thought that the Japanese Naval flag, with the red bars emanating from the center red sun, was offensive as it was the flag used by their navy during WW2.

Well just look what their ships fly these days. 

japaneseflag.jpg

1,534 posts
56 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

I'm more offended by those camping cruisers in the background.

Its probably a bot CV, steaming towards the middle of the map, leaving the human players behind...... 

Scene 2 of this movie will be edited out because of bad language about CVs , from the rest of the fleet...

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

1,534 posts
37 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

They are positoned correctly - they are supporting the helicopter "destroyers". :Smile-_tongue:

Wouldn't it be tactically easier to shoot down a helicopter compared to a plane?? :fish_book:

Ordrazz

[MEGA]
4,654 posts
17,883 battles
1 hour ago, ProvoBob said:

Back when the game was being developed, the Koreans thought that the Japanese Naval flag, with the red bars emanating from the center red sun, was offensive 

FIFY

they were the only ones whineing hard enough to get it removed

1,381 posts
9,045 battles
21 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

Wouldn't it be tactically easier to shoot down a helicopter compared to a plane?? :fish_book:

Ordrazz

Eh? No I was making light of the fact that the JMSDF don't classify their helicopter carriers as carriers but destroyers.

So the cruisers aren't camping, they are following the DDs into the cap. :Smile_hiding:

[KGHSF]
3,247 posts
6,175 battles

Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force adapted Naval Flag from IJN

but others defined that naval flag with rising sun was offensive :fish_palm:

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
335 posts
5 hours ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

It's a flag.

tenor.gif?itemid=5016748

Sadly certain group of noisy people failed to do that so.....find mod and deal with it.

Edited by spixys
vocab. added

[SIF]
36 posts
3,317 battles

There are many many things in our human history that will be found offensive today by others from all over the world.

What our forefathers did is not our burden to carry and nore should we. So I agree with LtDan and spixys.

PS. Growing up helps!!!!

Alpha Tester
197 posts
2,390 battles

Well I personally don't find it offensive.  It is, after all, a naval branch flag.  It is not like the German Swastika.  THAT is an offensive symbol used by all branches of the German military.

69 posts
3,879 battles

The problem was that this flag was also used by the military during the Pacific War period(especially in events such as the Nanjing Massecre) which sparks the hatred against it. Since deciding a 'symbol' being offensive or not is up to the victims, it's not up to us to decide whether it is offensive because people who don't have relations to it cannot understand the innate hatred against the symbol from the victim's side.

69 posts
3,879 battles
19 minutes ago, FrankTheShip said:

you could argue that every flag offends someone, and that includes the USA and British flags.

But the difference is that there are no activists using those flags to call for the revival of the old imperialism while in case of the Rising Sun, there are right wing activists in Japan using it out of nostalgia for the old Japanese Empire. If they had not done so, the Rising Sun would have been forgotten just like any other old symbols. I am not saying we should burn it down and condemn it as much, but when using and discussing such symbols, people should be more considerate.

[HMASW]
34 posts

Just FYI, the current national flag, the single red dot on white has always been the national flag including being the flag of the Empire of Japan. The flag with 16 radials was the IJN flag and is the current Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force and the flag with 8 radials was and is the army flag. 

Of bigger concern to me is the reuse of names such as Kaga and Soryu.

1,534 posts
3 hours ago, Kapitan_Zur_See_Hoffmann said:

Just mod it rising sun and Kriegsmarine flag. Job done. Well that's what I do after EVERY update.

The same here, & deck paint on German ships too... (Aids aircraft recognition for friendlies) :Smile_trollface:

1,077 posts
3,884 battles
2 hours ago, Mxx_iron said:

The Japanese battle flag is OFFENSIVE??? ......... War is offensive......so, what's ur point?? It's a historically accurate flag.......morons.

Yep,can't have the proper flags in a war game where we are blowing everything up using representations of 'mostly' real ships!