You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SGTAWE

Help regarding cruiser gameplay

27 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,531 battles

Hello 

I am back home for vacations and am grinding my way through the american cruiser line. Thing is most of my time spent is joining a game, getting blown up, and going back to my DDs for solace. I have no doubt the fault lies in the way i play them but i cant figure it out. Till omaha i could dodge shots with WASDing(the occasional AP hit didnt do much). Cleveland was a good bonfire igniter but pensacola has really left me reeling....:cap_wander_2:

i try to maneuver and stuff but even if a single shot hits me, it removes a MAJOR chunk off my HP. Whenever a BB spots me , it always switches targets to aim on me.

i have tried hiding and using islands but that way I contribute nothing to the team . 

Any advice would be nice.

PS I rarely visit the forums so if this is the wrong place to post this ... I apologize in advance and request that this be moved at the correct spot. 

354 posts
9,048 battles

Pensacola is notoriously fragile - you might as well wait a few more days until 0.7.5 goes live and Pepsi is moved to t6 and replaced at t7 by New Orleans. At their new tiers, they might both be a bit more competitive.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,906 posts
4,190 battles

Basic USNCL play.  Don't go by yourself.  hug islands and hide.  Use arcs.  Pepsi has far better AP that previous ships in line but is harder to play that the Cleveland but this is indicative of the rest of the line as you progress.  As the line progresses it gets more versatile with radar and heal

Super Tester
7,704 posts
8,025 battles

Pensacola may be fragile but she is an AP monster. The key is not to go alone and make yourself the closest target.  Also, choose targets carefully. Poke something that is already engaged with someone else. And from my experience, she can dodge decently as well. You will always lose HP, that is not a problem, but when you place your salvos properly, you already deal huge amount of damage, especially to enemy cruisers and broadside battleships. She is NOT like cleveland, she is a heavy cruiser and should be played as such. Watch some YouTube if you have spare time, it will help you to pick up map positioning and properly using or switching ammo types.

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,531 battles

thanks for the advice.

I ll look out for some videos and stuff.

One question though, Is the NEW ORLEANS like this as well?

if yes , then i would simply not bother with this line since this play-style doesn't suit me at all.

Super Tester
7,704 posts
8,025 battles

Pretty much all USN cruisers play the same, you camp at your position and keep defending till you die. new Orleans is no difference. She has great concealment, which allows her to move into position without getting spotted. If you do not like the camping style, then yes, USN isn't for you. Better to go with German or Russian line first. They are great mobile firepower.

USN Cruisers excel in close range brawls, but make sure you do not try to fight something that over matches your armor everywhere. And when you get to shove your AP into enemy citadels, its glorious :D

On a side note, New Orleans AA is actually pretty bad tier for tier.

354 posts
9,048 battles
52 minutes ago, SGTAWE said:

very well German ships it is.. PREPARE TO FACE MY KOLBERG !!!:cap_rambo::Smile_izmena:

The Soviet cruisers progress nicely from tier to tier without any real blips (Kirov's 180mm caliber being the small exception) and their laser-like guns are very easy to use if you're not too experienced. Their armour is paper thin though and you have to be prepared to engage at long ranges and never show your broadside.

34 posts
3,136 battles

Hi,

Please allow me to share some experience. I was from CV line before whole my life, and had the misery life like you do when I start on my Cruiser line.

For beginner (pros please don't complain me. This is beginner experience):

1. Stick with the team, don't advance forward like what DDs used to do or experienced CA used to do. This mean you don't kick your engine right at the battle start.

2. Choose a position that covered by other ship rather than the most outer line from enemy position. Let them open fire first. You will see who turn the ship away, who charging like no brainer Spartan, and who try to dance under the "rain".

3. Choose your opponent. Take out the weakest, crippled, and frightened first. Know your ship spec well, so you can measure at what range you can perform citadel hit against target ship.

4. Start with HE. Open fire and then burn burn burn until you sure target used her damage control item. Then you charge forward to a range you can use AP to citadel hit. Make sure you aware the situation is safe for you before proceed. Don't make yourself the no brainer Spartan.

5. Get more experience on how other experienced cruiser player game play.

Good luck and fair seas! I'll see you at battlefield.

Edited by Robby_Hermanto

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,531 battles
1 hour ago, Robby_Hermanto said:

Hi,

Please allow me to share some experience. I was from CV line before whole my life, and had the misery life like you do when I start on my Cruiser line.

For beginner (pros please don't complain me. This is beginner experience):

1. Stick with the team, don't advance forward like what DDs used to do or experienced CA used to do. This mean you don't kick your engine right at the battle start.

2. Choose a position that covered by other ship rather than the most outer line from enemy position. Let them open fire first. You will see who turn the ship away, who charging like no brainer Spartan, and who try to dance under the "rain".

3. Choose your opponent. Take out the weakest, crippled, and frightened first. Know your ship spec well, so you can measure at what range you can perform citadel hit against target ship.

4. Start with HE. Open fire and then burn burn burn until you sure target used her damage control item. Then you charge forward to a range you can use AP to citadel hit. Make sure you aware the situation is safe for you before proceed. Don't make yourself the no brainer Spartan.

5. Get more experience on how other experienced cruiser player game play.

Good luck and fair seas! I'll see you at battlefield.

Thanks . 

I really appreciate the responses fellas.I ll try to follow these tips.

P.S.Since i am from DD background so i find it hard to stay at one place for long.....

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

Just the topic I want to join in. Probably as some said, hiding behind Island, spam HE if you meet BB & DD. Use AP when meet another Cruiser. This is a general idea, because in my experience, showing front side not really helping, I still getting citadel or critical damage, let alone broadside, 99% 1hk to death. The other 1% is, you survive but getting limped with 1/10 hp for the rest of the match.

461 posts
8,505 battles

Lots of sound advice, I'd only add that you should pay attention to your build as well to make it easier to dodge and survive.

Concealment expert is a must on the Pensacola, as well as either incoming fire or the other one that I forget the name of (it gives you a counter for the number of enemies targeting you.) I'd also be sure to have the rudder shift module to make yourself a bit more agile. Hopefully that should help you dodge when it counts.

One good thing about her is she has very good AP, she can make mince meat of other cruisers.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,906 posts
4,190 battles

Ship comrade give some excellent commander builds.  Your captain will all depend on what you want to do with your ship.    The USN cruisers really lend themselves to being excellent at AA.   You just need to find a game with carriers in them.

1,050 posts
7,700 battles
15 hours ago, SGTAWE said:

very well German ships it is.. PREPARE TO FACE MY KOLBERG !!!:cap_rambo::Smile_izmena:

With most lines it’s a toss-up and you have to see what you like. You may like some ships, not others.

Hindenburg was one of my first T10 ships and she is worth the grind. However, since I reached T10, I have actually not played many high-tier games… too many other new ships, I guess.

When you go up the KM line, T5 Koenigsberg and even moreT6 Nurnberg are fun. I sold the ships to T4, cannot remember much. With Nurnberg, you can kite BB’s beautifully, burn them down, dodging their shells fairly well.

T5, T6 and T9 Roon have A/X/Y gun arrangement with two turrets at the rear, takes some getting used to. This setup discourages Banzai attacks. A technique that works well is to move into position, then turn around and then open fire, heading away from your target. If it gets too hot, stop firing and after 20 sec you drop back into concealment.

Up to Nurnberg KM cruisers are quite fragile. If you don’t like Pensacola’s armour, I wonder how you will like Nurnberg? Compared to T6 Cleveland, T6 Nurnberg is very fragile.

T7 York is an in-between, not as fragile as T6 Nurnberg, but not nearly as tanky as T8 Hipper/Prince Eugen. York has larger calibre but slower firing guns, compared to Nurnberg’s 150mm’s. Slowish turrets and great HE and fire starters.

I remember that I struggled with York at first. Always loved T8 Hipper and up.

From T8 the KM cruisers are a little bit like mini-Tirpitzes: quite tanky, A/B/X/Y gun layout with 6km fast and hard-hitting torps.

I say all that to point out there are shifts in the KM cruiser line also. However, for tanky cruisers, it’s KM over all the other lines. You have to reach T8, though.

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,531 battles

Which cruisers play the most like DDs?

by far i am liking kolberg more than saint louis...

354 posts
9,048 battles
11 minutes ago, SGTAWE said:

by far i am liking kolberg more than saint louis...

That's funny, St.Louis (not Saint Louis the t9 French cruiser) is just about the tankiest cruiser in the game (tier for tier).

156 posts
4,055 battles
56 minutes ago, SGTAWE said:

Probably RN CL's come closest to performing the DD role with best in class concealment, fairly usable torps and smoke. That doesn't however mean that RN CL's should be played as DD's. 

1,050 posts
7,700 battles
17 hours ago, SGTAWE said:

Hmmm, if you want to play DD, why not play DD?

But fair enough, you have ships that appear “out of class”, Graf Spee plays like a small battleship, Kongo like a big cruiser.

I agree RN cruisers are similar-ish to a DD. They are fragile, have smoke and good torpedos. With CE and camo Leander has something like 8.8km detection range, so quite stealthy. But I would say RN cruisers have a unique playstyle, rather than play like a DD.

34 posts
3,136 battles
16 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

But fair enough, you have ships that appear “out of class”, Graf Spee plays like a small battleship, Kongo like a big cruiser.

I agree RN cruisers are similar-ish to a DD. They are fragile, have smoke and good torpedos. With CE and camo Leander has something like 8.8km detection range, so quite stealthy. But I would say RN cruisers have a unique playstyle, rather than play like a DD.

Exactly. I agreed with that. I love the Germany lines. They are unique.

My background is from CV lines (both nations). When I play conventional surface ships, I want the characteristics as: fast moving, fast shooting, good damage, and... tank as well. I can't find those at BB gameplay. They move slow, fat, and their loading time is painfully scourging. So something that reloads 28 secs or more is not definitely for me. On the other hand, US CA has rapid fire rate but too squishy for me, and they can't heal too.

At the end, I found myself fits Germany ships. Graf Spee is one of my favourite. She possess acceptable speed, good AA, great brawler, fairly heavy punch, and great reload time (20 secs)... And torpedoes too! Too much if I would say about Graf Spee; hydros, defensive AA fire, all are just splendid. One thing if I may give correction about Germany CA: from T5 above, they are not fragile at all. Especially Graf Spee, she is the most tankiest cruiser I ever had, and she also has access to heal. For her tier, I could consider that she is a tier bully.

Other than Graf Spee, I would recommend you to try her bigger sibling: Scharnhost. She is considered as a BB, but she feels like very Graf Spee, with more guns and powerful heal.

Edited by Robby_Hermanto

48 posts
6,281 battles

now i'm really tempted to create a USN cruiser how to guide :cap_look:

1 hour ago, Robby_Hermanto said:

Exactly. I agreed with that. I love the Germany lines. They are unique.

My background is from CV lines (both nations). When I play conventional surface ships, I want the characteristics as: fast moving, fast shooting, good damage, and... tank as well. I can't find those at BB gameplay. They move slow, fat, and their loading time is painfully scourging. So something that reloads 28 secs or more is not definitely for me. On the other hand, US CA has rapid fire rate but too squishy for me, and they can't heal too.

At the end, I found myself fits Germany ships. Graf Spee is one of my favourite. She possess acceptable speed, good AA, great brawler, fairly heavy punch, and great reload time (20 secs)... And torpedoes too! Too much if I would say about Graf Spee; hydros, defensive AA fire, all are just splendid. One thing if I may give correction about Germany CA: from T5 above, they are not fragile at all. Especially Graf Spee, she is the most tankiest cruiser I ever had, and she also has access to heal. For her tier, I could consider that she is a tier bully.

Other than Graf Spee, I would recommend you to try her bigger sibling: Scharnhost. She is considered as a BB, but she feels like very Graf Spee, with more guns and powerful heal.

well you can't get them all, need to sacrifice something to get something else. but if you want a ship that is fast, agile, having strong guns and durable then why not the FR BB ? you get the speed of CA's and the tankiness of a BB.

all cruiser starting from T9 has heal, you just need to endure a little bit more. cruiser players had it rough in terms of starting up, but it's the most demanded roles in WoWs nowdays. go for des moines, you'll love it :cap_like:

Beta Tester
35 posts
1,531 battles

2 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

I already have 2 tier 8 DDs and mahan. So i want to try some other lines...BBs are too damn big and slow for my liking(though i used them in my early days). Hence Cruisers seem the way to go...

97 posts
6,493 battles

I don’t usually post in these but here’s some basic advice outside of the usual that is hugely important but 75% of Cruisers players never follow.

- Controlling when you are detected is the MOST important thing in cruisers, especially fragile ones. Ie never turn broadside when detected unless absolutely nessicary, just stop shooting for 20 sec.. go dark then turn broadside and angle away, then start firing again. This is the no1 noob mistake that often results in dev strikes.

- On top of this control the engagement, decide when you have the advantage and when you want to engage.. be patient, lasting the whole game means doing more dmg, not that extra salvo early on that gets you killed or costs you half your hp. It’s ok to not fire for a few mins even until your in a favourable position or have the advantage.

- Be unpredictable, ie use a & d yes.. but with propulsion mod w & s can be a lot more effective. As soon as you see a B.B. fire at you, slam into reverse and turn in or out. Do this a few times, then don’t do it, often B.B. gets so annoyed after hitting nothing for 3 reloads will just ignore you. French cruisers can be totally troll with this, think I’ve had 3 mil + potential in the Martel before dodging B.B. shells.

- Along with B.B.s.. always try to watch where they are positioned so they don’t sneak in and strike you.. always watch where they are aiming and try to count their reloads in your head to predict their next salvo.

There’s a lot more but these are a good starting point to follow outside of the usual tips and focus on survivability which sounds like what you need help with at the moment.

Edited by KillStealz

34 posts
3,136 battles
7 hours ago, n00b1e said:

now i'm really tempted to create a USN cruiser how to guide :cap_look:

well you can't get them all, need to sacrifice something to get something else. but if you want a ship that is fast, agile, having strong guns and durable then why not the FR BB ? you get the speed of CA's and the tankiness of a BB.

all cruiser starting from T9 has heal, you just need to endure a little bit more. cruiser players had it rough in terms of starting up, but it's the most demanded roles in WoWs nowdays. go for des moines, you'll love it :cap_like:

Indeed. One must choose either Hydro or AA. Despite any of the option chosen, both are still excellent features.

About the French BB, are you referring to Dunkerque? There are some reasons of why I choose Graf Spee instead of Dunkerque. Here are some of my personal consideration:

1. Reload time: Graf reloads for 20 secs compared to Dunk at 28 secs. Means more firing spree for my impatient trait. Lol.

2. Detectability: Graf has 13.14 km compared to Dunk at 16.92 km (original without any other influence factor). It means more space to swimming around with dolphins.

3. Turning Circle Radius: Graf has 680 m compared to Dunk at 730 m. Everybody loves tight hole, isn't it?

4. Rudder Shift Time: Graf has 10.3 secs versus Dunk at 14 secs. Honestly both are still big ass lame snail for me. XD

5. This one is the decisive factor that is a deal breaker of Dunkerque: AA Capability. Graf has excellent AA capability, Dunk has a meh one. I can't paste the whole AA comparison due to the details of gun variant to gun variant.

Meanwhile in T6, AA capability is one of the keys to survive. As you you can see how tight is T6 Independence torpedo wall (With Air Superiority skill), T7 Kaga's enomormus aircraft stock, or even T8 Enterprise fearful AP bomb. Those AAs on Graf are actially not capable to swat the squadrons off the sky but at least, it will make Graf Spee become a less appealing target than Dunkerque.

About Des Moines: Hell YESSS she is a must have. Aye Capt! Working on her now.

PS: Please let me know if you actually referring to a ship other than Dunkerque. 

Edited by Robby_Hermanto