Sign in to follow this  
Double_Helix_DNA_1

Hosho; How to not get shut down?

5 comments in this topic

4 posts
191 battles

Okay, so I play IJN CV's (they're the only CV's I play), and I'm really new to said CV lines.

Now, I've been losing really badly right now, and part of that is due to the fact I get shut down really easily as a Hosho and I have no idea on how to stop it.

When I play, if I get uptiered, my torpedo bombers get found and destroyed by the higher level CV's.

If I am at same tier and I fight a Langley, same thing happens; He finds my Torpedo bombers and destroys them -- my fighters almost always lose.

So, how do I not get shut down by the enemy CV?

What can I do to keep hitting enemy ships with my TB's if the enemy CV has won the fighter war, or is just about to?

What can I use my fighters for if they often lose to Langley planes?

How do I engage enemy fighters if they are better than mine? 

These are the questions I ask on Hosho. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance 

Edited by Double_Helix_DNA_1

[DIY]
65 posts
5,192 battles

Fighters: You can't win the dogfight directly; however luring her fighters to dense AA ally such as BB can help winning the fight or, at least, reducing enemy fighters that will attack torpedo bombers. Another approach is to sacrifice them and buy enough time for bombers to drop payload.

Bombers: At that tier, fighters can't break off from dogfight unless in specific condition. Either sacrifice your fighters to make good torpedo run or risk dogfight over ally and hope that it can survive the dogfight or at least destroy half of the squadron while sending the bombers to attack enemy ships.

578 posts
7,415 battles
1 hour ago, Double_Helix_DNA_1 said:

Which ships should I try and lure the enemy fighters over at tier 4-5?

If you got a Texas in your team,lure them to texas

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles

You have to lure enemy fighters on top of friendly ships. You just need to keep enemy planes away, not necessarily chase them to the end and kill your own planes while doing that. When you approach an enemy group, also notice his plane tiers, and whether he is willing to take the fight. If he is, pull back to nearest ship that can give you additional boost to AA. If he is pulling off, do not chase, deploy your planes to better places. You mostly use your fighters to scare away enemy attack squads, or, often sacrifice them by locking up enemy fighter so that you can get your strike packages through.

As to which ship can support you with AA, basically anything bigger than a DD. 

I have recorded one Hosho game in the past (new Hosho). May be helpful since I'm also a CV newbie.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Sign in to follow this