You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

Public Test Wild Dispersion

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,170 posts
7,702 battles

Has anyone else noticed unusually poor dispersion on Public Test? It feels like the Target Lock isn't registering properly and most of my salvos are being penalised with the 30% Blind Fire modifier. I'll run some Training Room tests on Lyon and Baltimore and see if I can pinpoint anything.

[KGHSF]
3,249 posts
6,186 battles

Me too since Normandie until Alsace

Moskva gone to hell and other nation too

Edited by THAI_THIEF

Beta Tester
1,170 posts
7,702 battles

In the Training Room, Lyon seems to perform normally. There's a very noticeable difference between shooting with and without Target Lock. With Baltimore, the difference isn't quite as obvious (probably due to both the good natural dispersion and high sigma of cruisers) but I think it's working normally as well.

Training Room bots don't wear camouflage, though, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Maybe there's a typo in the camo values - instead of 4% extra dispersion, it might be 40% - and could be a bug specific to that new stars-and-stripes camo that everyone on Test is wearing. I'll do some more tests in real battles and see if it's related to the target's camo.

Beta Tester
1,170 posts
7,702 battles

After more testing, It doesn't seem to be related to camo and just seems to happen randomly. You can be shooting at a particular target and everything is fine, but the next target will see your shells spraying around like a German Battleship - except you're not a German Battleship, you're a Des Moines. Hope this gets fixed before it hits the Live Server.

Modder
44 posts
297 battles

I'm seeing the same thing.  I've just been doing co-op battles to test some of my custom loading screens.  Dispersion is horrendous and it's not limited to a single ship, it's most ships.

354 posts
9,048 battles

I noticed it too with US cruisers - I don't normally play them, so I thought it might be normal. I played quite a few battles with DM though and it seemed ok.

2,248 posts
13,957 battles

I have felt it's been like that for quite a while on the live server.

When I jump in a ship with fast shells it is easy to see my shells land where I aim, and I get a lot of hits. However in ships with slower shells they don't seem to land where I aim, even when the ship holds a steady course (naturally I would not include cases where the ship has maneuvered). I realize that that is probably not the reality, yet mention it because I feel that it does indicate I can actually lead correctly. I find that often I will fire and hit miss well below the waterline, raise my aim a tiny fraction then fire over the hull. To me it makes no sense.

IMO it is directly related to the rendering of the ships. I expect there are some error in the formulas that calculate the angles to display. This is often clearly visible in the disparity between the image rendered in the scope and the minimap. Very often they will show conflicting directions. For example many times a ship will appear to be approaching, coming towards you with bow lower then stern, yet the minimap will display the ship as moving away which should show stern lower than bow.

This relates to dispersion because I believe that dispersion is worse based on accuracy (or have I got that wrong?). So if you have a bad aim caused by the incorrect rendering of ship angle then your dispersion will be worse. This is somewhat lessened in ships with fast shells because due to the travel time your aim is technically not as bad. So I fell this could be an explanation that matches up with the theory and observation.

Edited by keskparane

Beta Tester
1,170 posts
7,702 battles

I'm not sure if you have noticed this, the shell dispersion is getting much worse in PT. I played tier 6-10 US cruisers and Yamato, and all of them have the same dispersion issue.

I don't have any pictures right now so I'm taking some from a Chinese forum I visit quite often. (http://nga.178.com/read.php?tid=14100195&_ff=441) They suspect it is a bug with the locking system. I agree with that because I noticed that the dispersion gets better sometimes.

3.thumb.png.00347ba87505222476aeb803aacf

2.thumb.png.2e90bf8c1bd9c8c48ad1d166c6f7

1.png.0f5efc70d312920273825cca2362038c.p

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/158994-075-public-test-bug-reports/?do=findComment&comment=3774564

It seems to have been noticed by a lot of players, so hopefully it'll be fixed before going Live.

461 posts
8,517 battles
On 5/19/2018 at 1:40 PM, keskparane said:

I have felt it's been like that for quite a while on the live server.

When I jump in a ship with fast shells it is easy to see my shells land where I aim, and I get a lot of hits. However in ships with slower shells they don't seem to land where I aim, even when the ship holds a steady course (naturally I would not include cases where the ship has maneuvered). I realize that that is probably not the reality, yet mention it because I feel that it does indicate I can actually lead correctly. I find that often I will fire and hit miss well below the waterline, raise my aim a tiny fraction then fire over the hull. To me it makes no sense.

IMO it is directly related to the rendering of the ships. I expect there are some error in the formulas that calculate the angles to display. This is often clearly visible in the disparity between the image rendered in the scope and the minimap. Very often they will show conflicting directions. For example many times a ship will appear to be approaching, coming towards you with bow lower then stern, yet the minimap will display the ship as moving away which should show stern lower than bow.

This relates to dispersion because I believe that dispersion is worse based on accuracy (or have I got that wrong?). So if you have a bad aim caused by the incorrect rendering of ship angle then your dispersion will be worse. This is somewhat lessened in ships with fast shells because due to the travel time your aim is technically not as bad. So I fell this could be an explanation that matches up with the theory and observation.

I have been having similar issue occasionally as well, sometimes it seems to get the lead wrong and the shells will land under the targetting reticule when the ship is moving a reasonable speed. I've also had my guns fire in a different direction to my aim, not by a little either.