You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

How to play the fat IJN DD line?

8 comments in this topic

289 posts
4,361 battles

The IJN DD line is split in two. I find I prefer the alternate tech tree boats, the stealthier Minekaze/Hatsuharu/Shiratsuyu over the larger, main line DDs, Mutsuki/Fubuki/Akatsuki. Though I liked Mutsuki well enough, I could not adjust to the high detection radius and low speed / maneuverability of Fubuki or Akatsuki. My favorite ship of the combined lines up to T7 is Hatsu. Over time my IJN DD playstyle has adapted to (and stuck at) the ultra-stealth ability of that particular ship so I'm struggling to do much of anything with Akatsuki.

How do you do well in Akatsuki when you are so easy to spot and so sluggish to move? I can't seem to be able to effectively contest caps given the high number of Russian and USN gunboats in play, and even spotting for the team risks being outspotted by enemy DD and deleted by the supporting high tier, high DPM cruisers... I'm definitely missing some key point somewhere. Maybe play much closer support to friendly ships? Maybe do the lone flank run and torp enemy BBs?

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles

You've already got up to T7, so there is not much to say about it anyway.

However, I disagree with being the lone flanker. IMO Akatsuki's one of the good sides is the she can pretty much spam torpedoes, more than most other T7 DDs. And your concealment is still one of the better ones in T7. All the other gunboats have worse detection than you.

How to cap with IJN DDs? It actually involves a lot of pressing "F3" button. So make sure you are contesting a cap where people can actually support you. Another hint: Make sure you don't have to turn away after getting spotted. You will get murdered if you are caught off guard. You should already be facing outwards when inside the cap, and save your speed boosts for emergency times. Use initial torps to flush out DDs from smoke. I remember Suzy once posted a thread about how to effectively torp with IJN DDs. Im sure you can find that using the search option.

Another common mistake I see from typical IJN DD players, they pop smoke when they are almost dead, as if they could not find the button 10 second earlier. Your smoke is not much of a team utility in most cases. Use it for yourself generously.

Next point, when to open fire? Another common mistake, IJN DD players often try to torp someone with 1/2k HP, that's a waste of torp salvo, IJN guns are still good, and you can kill them with guns. Just don't open fire when 4 other ships can shoot at you. Again, make sure you know which deck you can pen and which you cannot. You may see a low HP bismarck nearby, but opening up on him without proper cover or support may be detrimental.

Damage stacking: Once you flood out ships, and they repair, make sure you spam some HE on them to set a few fires (ofcourse from safe location).

Just remember that, having an escape plan is much more important than going somewhere. Always think: If I go in from this side, can I get out? Will save you a lot of times and games.

Last but not the least, IJN DDs relies on torp damage, which is unreliable source of damage. There will be games where you basically did nothing at all. Don't feel worried much about those. I myself am usually USN/RU DD player, shared my experience from playing against countless IJN DDs. Grinded Mutsuki few days ago, got a few < 15k dmg games, still managed to keep a 44k average damage. IJN DDs aren't bad, the players are.

289 posts
4,361 battles
54 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

I remember Suzy once posted a thread about how to effectively torp with IJN DDs. Im sure you can find that using the search option.

I managed to muddle through Fubuki somehow. It was about a year ago and I left IJN DDs as soon as I got Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu, except for Hatsuharu, which I kept playing occasionally. Sold Fubuki. Just recently decided to take another look at the two T7 ships I had sitting in port.

Point is I'm looking at this from the perspective of a fully upgraded Hatsuharu with a 11 pt captain vs. a stock Akatsuki with a 7 point captain. 

Still, with Shiratsuyu I can somehow grasp the tactics and operational window. Akatsuki ... it's Fubuki redux. A whole bunch of, nope .. nope .. nope ... no-ope.

Thinking about it my main problem is I can't  instinctively judge when I am about to enter the danger zone. With Hatsu, it's easy to duck out and run so its less of a worry - the native spotting advantage and quick acceleration is a great life preserver. With Akatsuki you need to be able to get ready before you are detected.

Edited by Rina_Pon

907 posts
7,183 battles

In the table below I have marked the 3 slowest tech tree IJN DD's in yellow, the 3 with worst concealment in pink.

image.png.cbbaca5d987859afd7574d30999a0ea1.png

So you may out-spot some gunboats, but you will be detected by most IJN DD's before you detect them.

You also see the impact Concealment Modification has from T8. Shimakaze is the odd one out, however, I believe a concealment buff has been announced for her.

Fubuki gets a double-whammy, being among in the slowest and worst concealed three... but she has 10km torps and 3x3 launchers = flexibility. I feel attached to Fubuki, because she was one of my first T6 and earned me my first 10 pt captain... but looking at parameters, errrrmmmh.

With most IJN DD's, you do damage with torps, guns are situational... and thinking/planning/positioning is very important. An "oh, I'm being spotted, surprise, surprise" often last words.

Well, and what Icy_phonix said.

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles
47 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

With Akatsuki you need to be able to get ready before you are detected.

Yep, you are correct here. But it is true for every DD as well.

289 posts
4,361 battles
2 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

In the table below I have marked the 3 slowest tech tree IJN DD's in yellow, the 3 with worst concealment in pink.

image.png.cbbaca5d987859afd7574d30999a0ea1.png

The data laid out like that really helps to explain things.

For DDs the 0.55 km spotting advantage Hatsuharu has over Akatsuki means for all practical purposes in Hatsu I will always be able to see the enemy DD coming and be able to react before being spotted. It's that critical few seconds where I get to see the enemy before he sees me which makes the life-or-death difference.

On the other hand Akatsuki is nice and fast. Need to work on making that advantage work for me I guess.

Edited by Rina_Pon

907 posts
7,183 battles
13 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

The data laid out like that really helps to explain things.

Thanks. Happy to hear you find this useful.

When I put this together, I found it quite revealing, even if this is only for IJN DD’s and only speed and concealment. Looking at the table explains, for example, why the concealment buff has been announced for Shimakaze. And it shows that not all IJN DD’s can be played exactly the same way, because some key parameters are shifted.

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles
6 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Thanks. Happy to hear you find this useful.

When I put this together, I found it quite revealing, even if this is only for IJN DD’s and only speed and concealment. Looking at the table explains, for example, why the concealment buff has been announced for Shimakaze. And it shows that not all IJN DD’s can be played exactly the same way, because some key parameters are shifted.

Just to let you know, some of the values are incorrect. You might want to fix those before future references. 

Mutsuki - 5.4 km

Fubuki - 6.1 km

Shimakaze - 5.9 km (before), 5.6 km (now)

Edited by icy_phoenix