Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Swiftsure_08

Can anyone explain this meme plz?

6 comments in this topic

294 posts
4,416 battles

Explaining the joke makes it not funny. What makes it funny in the first place is that the joke is made in unusually poor taste. It's funny because it's embarrassing to laugh at it.

So, Dresden was known as a picturesque German city famous for making China. It was targeted by British bomber command and was indiscriminately burnt to the ground, inccuring very high civilian casualties. The attack would be considered a war crime if committed today.

So the Conqueror, being a British ship, setting massive blazes on enemy (German) ships, remarks that he is reminded of the time (they, the British) bombed Dresden, with an injection of modern slang just to make the incongruity stick.

It's Yuro at the top of his game, as usual.

1,386 posts
8,094 battles
10 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Explaining the joke makes it not funny. What makes it funny in the first place is that the joke is made in unusually poor taste. It's funny because it's embarrassing to laugh at it.

So, Dresden was known as a picturesque German city famous for making China. It was targeted by British bomber command and was indiscriminately burnt to the ground, inccuring very high civilian casualties. The attack would be considered a war crime if committed today.

So the Conqueror, being a British ship, setting massive blazes on enemy (German) ships, remarks that he is reminded of the time (they, the British) bombed Dresden, with an injection of modern slang just to make the incongruity stick.

It's Yuro at the top of his game, as usual.

Well, I asked this for my friend's subtitle project for the Chinese community. You can't expect every Asian citizen to be damn good at WWII history.

(For the European theater, IIRC only Chamberlain's appeasement, German's invasion of Poland, France and USSR, the battle of Stalingrad, the invasion of Normandy and the march into Berlin were included in Chinese high school textbook)

As it's uploaded as a separate video (to a Chinese site since YouTube is inaccessible in mainland China. It was under Yuro's permission BTW), my friend can use very small characters to explain this, so anyone with the knowledge will still enjoy the sick humor just like everyone else watching the original video while those who don't get it can pause, read through the explaination and resume.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

160 posts
7,861 battles

I recently watched World War II in HD color in Netflix.  Wish it had more warships coverage, or more coverage of sea battles but found it a little lacking which was expected due to the volume it has to cover in only so many episodes.  But it covers Dresden in episode 7.  Strategic Bombing AKA carpet bombing. 

Sign in to follow this