You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Syanda

Toxic behaviour

62 comments in this topic

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Posting this in forum issues because it's something that happens both in the forums and in the game. And yes, I know this isn't anything new, but it bears repeating and it needs to be said.

2.1 Forum etiquette

Users are not allowed to abuse others, make personal attacks or behave disrespectfully. This prohibition applies to both public threads and private messages (PMs).

Disrespect can include but is not limited to:

• Flaming
  • Trolling
  • Harassment or Defamatory remarks
  • Profanity, Inappropriate language or abbreviations there of
  • Personal abuse or attacks
  • Racial, Religious, Sexual, National or Ethnic, slurs or insults, this includes "jokes" in bad taste.
  • Excessive Capitalization
  • Inappropriate or adult content

This behaviour has no place on the World of Warships forums due to its extremely offensive and inappropriate nature.

2. Prohibitions, restrictions and conditions of use, for all game chats and channels.

You agree not to do any of the following while using the Game or any Wargaming.net game chat or channels.

2.01. Excessive profanity and inappropriate language is not welcome. It is suggested to ensure that the censor filter is switched on. The censor filter is not an excuse to break the existing game and chat rules, and excessive profanity will still be sanctioned.
2.02. Typing in such a way to bypass the censor filter is prohibited.
2.03. Insults, personal attacks, abuse or harassment are not tolerated on any level.
2.04. Derogatory comments based on race, nationality, religion, culture, sex, or sexual preference are prohibited.

Today, I logged in to see this particular gem.

ydPkxc8.jpg

I know most of us know perfectly well what "pleb" refers to in this context. It refers to players of lower skills playing the game. It's insulting and derogatory, and yet, people have no problems with casually throwing the term around in all the WG games (or in fact, most games). It really, really needs to stop. While I'm not naming names (since that's against forum rules and all), it's not uncommon to see some players constantly using the same terms: "plebs", "noobs", "idiots", "learn to play, jackass", "f****** retards", all of which are examples I've seen used in-game and on the forums with no one batting an eyelid. It's also creeping in the feedback threads, where genuine discussion about balance can be interjected with posts along the lines of "the game is fine, you just need to learn to play". I'll be the first to admit that I've done this too, but I do also provide tips and strategies on how to get better rather than saying "learn to play, noob" and leaving it at that.  

That's not constructive criticism. That's not "teaching players to get gud". That's insulting, derogatory and abusive behaviour from players revelling in their perceived superiority.

I do understand that some players are frustrated when they lose matches due to players on their team. But those players have as much right to play the game as you do. Furthermore, we're all here for testing purposes at the moment, so I don't understand why some people are already concerned with their stats now.

I certainly hope this post doesn't fall on empty ears. I fully expect to be accused of being a noob whining about being called a pleb, for that matter. But I do hope the moderators and administrators here will enforce the spirit of the rules and help promote a less toxic environment for players.

Edited by Syanda

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

I know who that highlighted words belong to, I also saw some of my chat in that screenshot (not highlighted mind you lol)

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

The chat should have the chat bot like in twitch ;)

Automated Ban FTW!!

But, then the Mods don't get free cuddly rabbits per chat-ban. :teethhappy:

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Heh, I'm not looking for specific actions to be taken against players, just trying to raise awareness.

Nice to see all the various colours actually reading the topic, though :v

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I'm pretty certain that everyone who has posted this thread can, in the past and maybe even in the future, be found to use rather similar language.

As my memory serves me, this vocabulary was, and as we see, remains, a standard feature of our 'clan war elite'-type clans and a vast majority their members, being in turn a hand-me-down of the Westernised 'WoT culture' we brought with us from other servers. Others simply ape the example, in an effort to appear like these 'elite'.

Ranting about it in the forums, well, shows that you and all of us ranters don't clean our mirrors quite as often as we should.

Oh, I certainly don't deny this. But I just want to acknowledge that what we're doing when we use this behaviour is both disrespectful and derogatory. I might be like that in the future, especially once OBT hits and we get an influx of new players, but I certainly hope to be officially warned and sanctioned for it if I am.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

To satisfy my curiosity, was this in battle chat or on a channel?

Usually all I see in bchat is 'poi'.

Beta Tester
58 posts
676 battles

Toxic behaviors is to expected due to increasing number of players i just hope players like schrader won't be playing this gem of a game also when will you guy implement anti team killing,trolling,toxic chat,etc to the game?

Beta Tester
856 posts
746 battles

looks like WoT 2.0 really is expected to happen when WoWs is officially released :teethhappy:

I do understand that some players are frustrated when they lose matches due to players on their team. But those players have as much right to play the game as you do. Furthermore, we're all here for testing purposes at the moment, so I don't understand why some people are already concerned with their stats now.

lol by the way, who said about concerned on their stats? poor proper testers can't get to really try the capabilities of their ship, just because they've been rained shells by half of the enemy team since most of the other players either go lemming, or what I have seen earlier on my battles (20 battles, 2 wins, 18 defeats), hiding behind islands O_O...........besides, that guy is telling the truth, and I agree with him.....:teethhappy: but at least this will give a heads up to those proper players who have read that part of the message, that when OBT, or worst, official release comes.....this is what they will ALWAYS encounter....at least they are prepared :great: more like it serves as an "early warning device"

:honoring:

Edited by GeneralPaps

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

looks like WoT 2.0 really is expected to happen when WoWs is officially released :teethhappy:

not if I can help it Paps, there is no place for any of the crap that WoT has, not here, not now

Beta Tester
856 posts
746 battles

not if I can help it Paps, there is no place for any of the crap that WoT has, not here, not now

like how BB's perform like HT's that are camping behind and peekabooing? :trollface:

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

like how BB's perform like HT's that are camping behind and peekabooing? :trollface:

See, thats what torpedoes were invented for, make the camping BB's go peekabooming

Beta Tester
856 posts
746 battles

See, thats what torpedoes were invented for, make the camping BB's go peekabooming

they are just.........dunno......cant express it in words (why is it that there is no facepalm emoticon in this forum unlike the forum in WoT :angry:)

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

hold to your own upbringing and what you feel/know is the right way to treat others...

The rules are there for guidance and to provide a framework for all to converse civilly with each other.

The mods work should be the exception rather than the norm.

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

hold to your own upbringing and what you feel/know is the right way to treat others...

The rules are there for guidance and to provide a framework for all to converse civilly with each other.

The mods work should be the exception rather than the norm.

This. Don't make things worse for the community by reacting to a problem with a different kind of problem. If you see someone worth abusing and you really can't control yourself, just punch the wall. You're not hurting anyone with your hatred but yourself. :trollface:

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

This. Don't make things worse for the community by reacting to a problem with a different kind of problem. If you see someone worth abusing and you really can't control yourself, just punch the wall. You're not hurting anyone with your hatred but yourself. :trollface:

Unless the wall collapses :teethhappy:

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

The main thing is to move on, or in-case of the wall collapsing, hold up one of them small umbrellas :P.

The other thing is the determine what words are right or wrong, like I would be a Pleb, because im not royalty, im just a common man; I would also be an Aussie Banana (Yellow on the out side, white on the inside, and born/raised in Australia =I'm half chink half pom=)

To that guy complaining of losing all the time, just give them a hug and tell them its all right, after all, they in the beta ;).. soon more new players will be there to join him.

""This behavior has no place on the World of Warships forums due to its extremely offensive and inappropriate nature.""

Aside from the spelling mistake due to english not being their first language; I'm sure who ever it was, would point out it was in-game chat and not in the forums.

Beta Tester
142 posts
484 battles

FPfrosty, I believe it was pointed out that these rules apply both on the forum and in the game. They both restrict the use of certain derogatory comments, words and profanity within those areas.

Believe me, I've been guilty of commenting on certain players inability to get the jist of the game (WoT) on occasion, but normally reserve my commentary to my mates on TS or keep it to myself. 

However, with the lack of proper communication between players of different cultural and language backgrounds, the game can create annoyance in being unable to explain to your fellow team mates a viable plan to help your team win the game or even create an 

effective ambush, concerted attack, strategic retreat or any number of other possibilities. 

These factors can lead to frustration, which then normally leads to verbal assault due to the above reasons. It doesn't make the profanity or verbal assaults any less against the rules, but I can comprehend the frustration. It's about educating the populace of the appropriate measures to be taken should there be persons present who are botting, inactive, or team killing, or doing other inappropriate things which needs to be brought to the attention of those with the power to do something about it. 

I just hope that in WoWs the reported offenders are acted upon and sanctions placed against them instead of the  apparent lack of interest I've noticed in WoT.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

""This behavior has no place on the World of Warships forums due to its extremely offensive and inappropriate nature.""

Aside from the spelling mistake due to english not being their first language; I'm sure who ever it was, would point out it was in-game chat and not in the forums.

Nope - ALL forms of communication provided by WG are covered by the EULA and Game Rules.

Alpha Tester
416 posts
17 battles

If that is ban worthy, I'm going to be very disappointed. 

They haven't sworn, they have used proper sentence structure to express their opinion on a selected area of the player base. 

OP, you need to harden up. There have been no 'Personal Attacks' as you so refer to in your quoted rule. 

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

If that is ban worthy, I'm going to be very disappointed. 

Be ready to be disappointed then......,only kidding

It would be a warning at best.