14 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
976 posts
5,738 battles

I love the Graf Spee. But always remember she is soft like a cruiser, so bow on when in danger and remember the torps can fire forward so don't be afraid to charge a lone BB and torp him to death.

She is a bully against cruisers with that large alpha damage (but can still take a citadel hits from them).

Has the sigma value to deal with DD's.

best jack-of-all-trades I have.

hope that helps you a little.

Super Tester
7,755 posts
8,040 battles

She can sustain prolonged damage, just make sure you don't receive burst damage.

Also keep in mind, she is not fast like other cruiser. So think twice before making a move.

The guns are horrible, and you need to switch between AP / HE to maximize damage output.

Play her like a lightweight BB.

Super Tester
3,916 posts
4,196 battles

The Graf is a ship that will punish a bad move and rewards good playing.   Long reloads make it essential that you plan your shots.    Using AP on the wrong ship will just result in overpens.   Every now and again you get a player that wants to engage you close in but they don't realise you have torps.  As icy said.  It can sustain some damage but not a good ship to get in a face off with other ships although a broadside cruiser will regret coming near you.

Modder
249 posts
347 battles

You are a BB with a cruiser symbol, use that to your advantage

You have weak armor so dont try 1v1 with BBs. But you have the largest gun caliber as a cruiser.

Play like cruiser, punish like Battleship.

Super Tester
3,916 posts
4,196 battles
26 minutes ago, Shifty_Panzer said:

Play like cruiser, punish like Battleship. 

Take damage like a cruiser, shoot slowly and inaccurately like a battleship

[CLAY]
24 posts
5,877 battles

Cap Skill Wise:

First 10 skill point: Priority Target, Adrenaline rush ( for extra DPM), Superintendent ( for Extra Heal), Concealment Expert ( so u can surprise enemy broadside) 

Then you can go: Demo Expert, Expert Marksman, and Advance Fire Training ( for Protect your self from plane since Low tier so many CV player)

How to play it?

Play like a cruiser but you significant strong against enemy broadside since you have BB Gun

If you don't know how to play a cruiser then here it is : Always on the move , If you can shoot behind rock then keep it up your position , your not tanky so if number on priority target is high stop shooting and flee, always on angle don't give your broadside to anyone , if you want reposition to  find your self undetected and you can reposition.

I hope this is helping

144 posts
2,798 battles

Try littlewhitemouse's review on graf spee. You can find it on google. Btw Didn't you read reviews first? I would never made any premium ships purchase without reading reviews about it first.

144 posts
2,798 battles
On 8/16/2018 at 9:59 PM, Minifirefly said:

no, you shouldnt buy her at the beginning, this ship sucks

I have to agree, cant seem to be doing good in it. Thankfully I got it from the missions.

1,050 posts
7,755 battles

What you have to keep in mind is that Graf Spee has the armour of a cruiser, the guns of a (T3/T4) battleship and manoeuvrability somewhere in between. She is a good example for the warship design philosophy “outrun ships that outgun you, outgun ships that outrun you.” That said, Spee does OK in T6 battles, she does not up-tier very well. In T7 and especially T8 battles you meet BB’s that go faster than 28 knots.

Repositioning Spee is more difficult, compared to a cruiser, because speed lacks.

You can do good damage to cruisers. A game with many enemy cruisers that wander within 10km or 12km range showing broadsides can be a very good game and you can do a lot of damage. Unfortunately the enemy team will not always give you this cooperation.

You can engage battleships, your AP only does good damage if you have a clean broadside to shoot at. Your HE isn’t great, but there are situations when it does more damage than your AP. It is feasible to attack a BB bow-in and rely on your torps for the kill, the launchers have good arcs and the torps are fast and hit hard. Your cruiser armour means you can die suddenly and unexpectedly from a single BB salvo.

Spee can struggle with many DD’s in the match.  For a cruiser, she has fairly good torpedo protection and she has some secondaries, but not enough to keep DD’s away. And the battleship-ish 20 sec reload gives DD’s opportunities to attack.

You have access to hydro which helps avoid torps, however, AA isn’t great and many players rather select defensive AA.

Steering gear module is a useful upgrade for that slot.

173 posts
5,035 battles

I have ~360k xp on the ship and still struggle nicely. Now I barely play her any more.

Graf Spee has almost all the disadvantages of a cruiser and a BB.

She has a Heal, so pick captain skill SuperintendentFire Prevention is also a good consideration.

Armor is really good for a T6 cruiser, but is still a cruiser so don't brawl. 203 mm guns and larger will hurt like hell if you show them the broadside of your ship. 

Guns are similar to BB guns in most characteristics: huge, slow to reload, slow to turn. And there are only 6 of them. And glorious German dispersion (ideally only shoot at a target from 10km and less). Do not shoot at DDs unless they are really close. Secondary is mostly useless for any cruiser at T6, but invest in Basic Firing Training and Advanced Firing Training for your captain can help your AA power and secondary when you need. Those skills are not required, but consider them.

Torpedoes on Spee are the best on any German cruiser ingame Why Hindenburg doesn't have 8km torps But only 4 per broadside. The ship has very good torpedo arc/angle so you can try rush torping a BB coming into a brawl. Don't invest captain skills for Torpedo skills in a German cruiser, it just doesn't work. 

Anti-Air is... meh. IMO having a Catapult fighter (on a separate slot) can help against CV planes, spotting torpedoes and ships on other side of islands. For the first row of captain skill I do recommend Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft. It's only 1 point. Consider it.

Speed is okay for the tier. You can run away from most BBs you'll meet, except Kongou and Giulio Cesare. Rudder shift is somewhat good.

Captain skills: 

First row: 
Primary: Preventative Maintenance
Optional: Expert Loader, Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft

Second row: 
Primary: Adrenaline Rush (I recommend this skill for all German BBs and T8-10 cruisers)
Optional: High Alert, Jack of All Trades, Expert Marksman

Third row: 
Primary: Superintendent
Optional: Basics of Survivability, Basic Firing Training

Fourth row: 
Primary: Concealment Expert
Optional: Fire Prevention, Advanced Firing Training 

[AE]
202 posts
9,618 battles

I deliberately got her because I am a Germaniphile. Hardly play it. Six guns simply do not guarantee enough hits with such a low rate of fire. Torps are nice. There are a LOT of better ships to spend your money on.