You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
30cmtruedamage

Tips on avoiding radar detection ?- Resolved

16 comments in this topic

534 posts

Stay off the detection range of radar,assuming you're playing high tier game only,remember the range of these radar ships,if you're talking about hard to hit ships with torps cuz of radar,don't rely on predict line

740aa6141ba3b35abf885d44f4a2bb5b.png

Edited by Somedude_Yudachi

170 posts
3,837 battles
4 minutes ago, Somedude_Yudachi said:

Stay off the detection range of radar,assuming you're playing high tier game only

yeah thanks

Btw , should I always try to go around the cap detecting targets for my team ? And I guess you will agree with this , Once detected , turn away right ? I guess thats a noob question but thanks :)

534 posts
2 minutes ago, 30cmtruedamage said:

yeah thanks

Btw , should I always try to go around the cap detecting targets for my team ? And I guess you will agree with this , Once detected , turn away right ? I guess thats a noob question but thanks :)

I am not a dd player but I will try to answer,you main shimakaze?if yes,only caps when enemy team has torp boats instead of gun boats,if you're in a cap where enemy gearing/Z52 is staying as well,try not to get involved in the gun fight since they have ten times better guns and Z52 use hydro,I personally wouldn't worry too much of Khabarovsk because its detection range is close to Zao which is high compare to other T10 dds,most Khabs I teamed with don't cap the points and leave it to other dds

Super Tester
7,755 posts
8,040 battles

If you want to avoid RADAR, you need to avoid the radar ship. Be mindful about enemy radar movement from minimap. Usually getting spot by radar doesn't mean you are going to die. Make sure to move in such a way that even if you are spotted, the possibility of incoming damage is limited.

Also, you must know the radar range, duration and cool down for radar ships. Do your risky moves in-between.

161 posts
5,905 battles

I mainly play German DDs.

Using island works, if you're certain that you will get jump by radar ship.

They can spotted you but there's no point if they can't kill you. Still, you'll have to position yourself in a way that they can't hit you and relocate after the radar ended.

And if there're too many radar ships near the cap then screen and delay, or maybe go for other caps, no need to suicide into them. If nothing else is possible then screen friendlies, bait their radar usage, and hope your team will eventually sink those radar ships.

Edited by HeidimarieW

1,138 posts

easier said than done because avoid radar mean avoid game objective since most of them are camp near cap area wait till they see red bar ticking and hit the magic button

sure 1 radar ship isn't hard to deal with but 2-3? hell no! 

it's DD dilemma that I found myself in so so so so often.

to be in position that is fine even being detected by radar mean in cover of island and can't see a thing but my stupid camping BB & CA call for 'I need intelligent data'

to be in position that can spot for team and gathering data mean to be in open water for line of sight and exposed to radar and since CA these day are so stealth to that the moment you see them, you're in their radar range.

I really wish WG nerf radar so they can't see through island anymore

if you want to spot someone, you have to put yourself at risk at some degree

but to see through island is damn cheat... you'll never see it coming.

Edited by PGM991

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

It hard to avoid radar in higher tier, because the the ship like Chapy and Desmeme or even Pan-asia DD have radar range nearly equal or lower they concealment so the time you spot them pretty much you will get in they radar range, that not mention in the begin of math radar ship just need to camp behind the island near cap base and good luck to deal with it,  you cant even expect CV do something against those ship since  most of them have ridiculous AA.

So better that if you see the radar ship in game, watch where they go and better avoid them if you could, in worst case looking for the way to flee before cap and if you get radared, press Y run to the nearest cover (and pray).

156 posts
4,055 battles

If you look at it, its somewhat possible to avoid getting radar detected in open waters. Most radar ships (except DD's) need to get themselves detected in order to radar detect other ships, meaning there radar range is just a couple of 100 mtrs more than there concealment if not less than there concealment (exception being Chapa & Minotard with concealment upgrade and concealment expert captain). So the moment you see such ships popping up from concealment during 1st few minutes in the game, be sure they will use radar on you. So be prepared to hit spood beest, kite & maneuver at the same time whenever they pop up. Real problem is with PA DD's. But then again kiting, maneuvering & playing with speed helps a lot and you can end up minimizing a lot of damage taken if you proactively maneuver based on when and where from the shots are being fired on you. 

For maps with ample island coverage for campy CA's its best to tactically position your DD in a way so that you have enough shelter using these islands from incoming shells. Also, entering butt first into caps or coming to a stop keeping your butt pointed at enemies so that you can bail immediately if required. The butt-in strategy also helps you to escape radar range quickly should the need be. 

And if there are too many radar ships to deal with its best to re-cap the objective at a later point than risking your life. 

Radar is definitely a threat but not really a DD-killer if the DD is smart enough to know when to expect it and can work its way around radars but maneuvering, knowing radar ship locations and keeping track of cooldowns. 

1,050 posts
7,755 battles

There is good advice here. Radar is one of the main enemies of DD’s in games with T7 ships and up.

In low tier games, the DD’s storm the cap and smoke up when spotted. That works fairly well, if you angle against incoming torps, or if you have hydro to spot torps early.

In higher tier games, you may have a radar ship wait for you, behind an island, next to the cap. He may have never been spotted, does not show minimap. When he sees a DD starts capping, he switches on radar spots you.

This means you have to be careful, especially at the start of the game.

A carrier or spotter plane spotting the radar ship early is of great value. If there is a carrier on the team, I prefer to go to a cap where planes have spotted the surroundings. But often you don’t get that, so you have to take a risk. Either you take the risk to get radar spotted, or you take the risk the enemy team takes the cap unopposed. Pick, ahaha.

If you are spotted by radar and you have “Priority Target” captain skill, you may see the number of ships targeting you go up. If this happens, get out of there. Try to give them the smallest possible target and wiggle. Try to dodge behind an island. Press <F5>. Radar duration varies a fair bit, so does the distance.

There are occasions when you get spotted, but nobody has a line of fire on you. That’s when you have to keep a cool head. See what is the best thing to do, it may or may not be running away.

Dealing with radar is something you have to practice. When I first encountered radar ships in a DD, I almost always died. Now with a bit of practice, I may lose health but get away. Not always, though, hehe.

One of the game mechanics I dislike is that radar passes through islands. Hydro, fair enough, sound does not only travel in straight lines in water. But radar needs line of sight. But for now, we have to live with the radar ships lying in wait behind islands.

Super Tester
3,916 posts
4,196 battles

I'm confused.

Type93's have a 20km range and the best radar in the game is 11.7.    You've got over  8km of space to play with before it gets risky.

1,390 posts
9,082 battles
11 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I'm confused.

Type93's have a 20km range and the best radar in the game is 11.7.    You've got over  8km of space to play with before it gets risky.

Hardly anybody uses the 20km torps on the Shima, and for good reason.

Most people use the 12km ones.

1,050 posts
7,755 battles
9 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Hardly anybody uses the 20km torps on the Shima, and for good reason.

Most people use the 12km ones.

I don't think that comment was meant seriously.