You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fear_the_Reaper

is there a reason we do not get to aim/fire secondary cannons?

112 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Once you get in range of a target why do these guns not simply become available for use instead of being shot in random directions in the water and at mountains achieving nothing?

Seems silly that a battleship should have to point its 300+mm cannons at destroyers to kill them because whoever it is aiming the secondary cannons went to the bad guy school of aiming, i mean who hired these guys to shoot the secondary cannons on battleships anyway?

AbT4Oar.gif

Not only that it feels cheap having to rely on an auto aimer that can not aim when you do actually kill another ship with these cannons, i would much rather have control over them and the option to switch between using main battery and secondary.

Edit:

On the topic of destroyers, if this is done torpedo range should be buffed by around an extra 2 kilometers and speed by around an extra 5 knots.

Seeing a lot of bias on the forums towards whatever people choose as their favourite ship class in the BETA and it needs to stop, battleships and destroyers are both currently underpowered and it is hurting both of their gameplay.

And on the topic of underpowered... American cruisers need to have torpedo tubes if they are not going to have the anti torpedo weapons so that they have a defense against other cruisers that do, in long range fights the american/japanese cruisers are fairly balanced but as soon as the distance closes the japanese cruiser wins because of the torpedo capabilities.

And before someone says "that is historically inaccurate" well so is the ship not being able to blow torpedoes up in the water.

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Beta Tester
65 posts
397 battles

Once you get in range of a target why do these guns not simply become available for use instead of being shot in random directions in the water and at mountains achieving nothing?

Seems silly that a battleship should have to point its 300+mm cannons at destroyers to kill them because whoever it is aiming the secondary cannons went to the bad guy school of aiming, i mean who hired these guys to shoot the secondary cannons on battleships anyway?

AbT4Oar.gif

Not only that it feels cheap having to rely on an auto aimer that can not aim when you do actually kill another ship with these cannons, i would much rather have control and the option to switch between using main battery and secondary.

That picture puts it quite nicely.

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

Your secondary and AA guns are automated, no need to control them unless your switching from torpedoes to main guns.

Um, ok, maybe try have a closer look at what the OP write?

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Your secondary and AA guns are automated, no need to control them unless your switching from torpedoes to main guns.

Yea, but the OP doesn't trust much on his crew's aiming their secondaries at the nearest target.

[BMRSF]
420 posts
1,221 battles

if you want how the secondary gun aiming to or AA gun aiming to 

Just click "Animate small object" you will see where they striking to or attacking to :) just require a bit more Performance of your graphic card though :) 

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Honestly, its a pretty good question. Battlestations did it pretty well by giving local control of AA guns to the player if they desired. My guess is that its a pretty complex system that will take players some time to get used to, and WG is unwilling to implement that sort of thing.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

if you want how the secondary gun aiming to or AA gun aiming to 

Just click "Animate small object" you will see where they striking to or attacking to :) just require a bit more Performance of your graphic card though :) 

I know the secondary battery works, though that is a bit of an over statement, the auto aim feature lobs shells in every direction, i have seen it lob shells not even a kilometer from my ship straight into the water.

It would be much better if you actually had control over the secondary batteries so that if you aim and miss it is your fault not RNG, it would also be nice to be able to choose the ammunition load of the secondary battery.

There is also the part where killing ships using an auto aim feature in an MMo is so dirty.

It is not like battleships do not have 30 seconds of reload time on their main battery to switch over and fire the secondary guns.

Beta Tester
282 posts
12 battles

the auto aim feature lobs shells in every direction, i have seen it lob shells not even a kilometer from my ship straight into the water.

Its probably to balance each class of ships, but i think the aim is just too inacurate

Edited by ShuffleCapz

Beta Tester
301 posts
113 battles

I like to think of it as the secondaries controlled by not-as-experienced crewmen under command of junior officers with free fire/hold fire commands while the main battery crew are the old dogs under direct command of commander.

Though that idea I got from that one 2005 Yamato movie where the fresh recruits were stationed in Yamato's secondaries.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I think its merely for balance.

BB usually have huge amount of secondary guns.

They can totally wreck any DD or CL/CA if player can manually control them.

Well thats the point of the secondary guns, Destroyers can run circles around BB's at the moment because the secondaries are not a threat in any way shape or form,  you can not kill a destroyer before it kills you without wasting your 300mm+ shells shooting at it and half the time your main batteries are aimed in the opposite direction to where a Destroyer is attacking you from meaning they simply get free experience on you without a threat of return fire.

I swear there seems to be a bias going on towards the Destroyers because the majority of the alpha/BETA testers will only drive one claiming all the other ships are terrible while crying red rain if anything happens to their beloved.

I mean i like the destroyer game play and i honestly have no problems exclusively playing them once the game comes out because the BETA testers declared "this ship shall be OP" but it will not be fun for people who want to drive other ships.

I thought we were supposed to be testing the game and finding flaws with it not picking favourites and making the game less fun to play for anyone who will not exclusively drive the chosen vessels.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Well thats the point of the secondary guns, Destroyers can run circles around BB's at the moment because the secondaries are not a threat in any way shape or form,  you can not kill a destroyer before it kills you without wasting your 300mm+ shells shooting at it and half the time your main batteries are aimed in the opposite direction to where a Destroyer is attacking you from meaning they simply get free experience on you without a threat of return fire.

I swear there seems to be a bias going on towards the Destroyers because the majority of the alpha/BETA testers will only drive one claiming all the other ships are terrible while crying red rain if anything happens to their beloved.

I mean i like the destroyer game play and i honestly have no problems exclusively playing them once the game comes out because the BETA testers declared "this ship shall be OP" but it will not be fun for people who want to drive other ships.

I thought we were supposed to be testing the game and finding flaws with it not picking favourites and making the game less fun to play for anyone who will not exclusively drive the chosen vessels.

Because, as it stands, torpedoes and destroyers are intended to be the hard counter to battleships. Given two players of equal skill, one in a destroyer and one in a battleship, the destroyer is better equipped to kill the battleship. Likewise, CAs kill DDs, and BBs kill CAs, and everything kills a CV if the CV is in gun range. Of course, there are ways to weight the battle in your favour (like a carefully-aimed hit with main guns on the DD to instantly kill it, and the DD still has to negotiate the secondary batteries in order to approach close enough for a sure-kill spread).

Giving local control of secondary weapons to BB captains for anti-ship use negates the destroyer's role as that hard counter, and simultaneously takes out one of the CA's primary roles. It weighs the balance between classes EXTREMELY heavily towards battleships. Calling it destroyer bias is not constructive.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Because, as it stands, torpedoes and destroyers are intended to be the hard counter to battleships. Given two players of equal skill, one in a destroyer and one in a battleship, the destroyer is better equipped to kill the battleship. Likewise, CAs kill DDs, and BBs kill CAs, and everything kills a CV if the CV is in gun range. Of course, there are ways to weight the battle in your favour (like a carefully-aimed hit with main guns on the DD to instantly kill it, and the DD still has to negotiate the secondary batteries in order to approach close enough for a sure-kill spread).

Giving local control of secondary weapons to BB captains for anti-ship use negates the destroyer's role as that hard counter, and simultaneously takes out one of the CA's primary roles. It weighs the balance between classes EXTREMELY heavily towards battleships. Calling it destroyer bias is not constructive.

If making battleships more fun means increasing torpedo speed and range so they can still counter them i am all for that. make it so they go 10km and 5 knots faster and let battleship captains actually use their secondary cannons making the gameplay more fun for both.

solution for CV's is also pretty simple, put torpedoes on all of them, the japanese ships with them can counter DD's just fine because of it.

its win win win for everyone.

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

because there will be too much buttons to press.. :/

multitasking will be a pain if you have to switch between main guns, 2ndary guns, AA guns because you still have to drive your ship, dodge torps, etc.

though, I would love to have a POV on the bridge of my ship :D

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

because there will be too much buttons to press.. :/

multitasking will be a pain if you have to switch between main guns, 2ndary guns, AA guns because you still have to drive your ship, dodge torps, etc.

Have you ever played world of warcraft?

exauJ6u.jpg

That is a feral druids cast bar for PvP. There are never enough buttons to press.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

My suggestion is add manual but when not select the secondary, it would be back to auto mode

but my suggestion is against my own rule

IF Secondary Guns get Manual, No one will play Destroyer

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

Have you ever played world of warcraft?

exauJ6u.jpg

That is a feral druids cast bar. There are never enough buttons to press.

I haven't played it, but I played other games with far worse multitasking :/

then again, this is World of Warships, not World of Warcraft :v

and with that, World of Warships is somewhat an Arcade (that's what they said, right?) rather than a full warship simulator.. :/

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I think its merely for balance.

BB usually have huge amount of secondary guns.

They can totally wreck any DD or CL/CA if player can manually control them.

^ This reason. This game is set in arcade game model, after all. Not simulation or realistic.
Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

My suggestion is add manual but when not select the secondary, it would be back to auto mode

but my suggestion is against my own rule

Sure they will, if secondary guns become manual torpedoes will need a buff in range and maybe speed too, and cruisers will all need to be fitted with torpedoes, it only results in better gameplay for everyone.