Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dieselhead

Wows......

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
406 posts
7,295 battles

Please fix your lagging, crashing bloody game! Been the same for 3 patches and no decent fix. Game crashes during ranked and we lose because DD is afk and I cop 2 reports because YOUR useless program is unstable. Seriously why am I paying for premium time on a game that lags and crashes and has to be restarted all the time? I've got 10 year old games that are more stable than this! Seriously NOT impressed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MEGA]
Member
4,675 posts
17,991 battles
57 minutes ago, dieselhead said:

Please fix your lagging, crashing bloody game! Been the same for 3 patches and no decent fix. Game crashes during ranked and we lose because DD is afk and I cop 2 reports because YOUR useless program is unstable. Seriously why am I paying for premium time on a game that lags and crashes and has to be restarted all the time? I've got 10 year old games that are more stable than this! Seriously NOT impressed!

i was wondering why we didnt see you for so long that match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
406 posts
7,295 battles
1 minute ago, drakon233 said:

i was wondering why we didnt see you for so long that match

I had just killed your DD and had free reign on your 2 BB when it crashed....would have changed the game. So sick of paying money for crap product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
283 posts
3,712 battles

Well, unlike you. My game doesn't crash while I'm in a match but every time I finish a game, I have to log back in and can't see my results because you cant view results after you have logged out. It sometimes does this just as the match is about to start when the teams are loading in and then the client crashes and I start the game nearly 3-5 minutes late and recently, I have been trying to log in in the mornings, I'll enter my email and password but then it takes a million years to load and then it decides, error, unknown error and I have to re-enter all my info and try again close to 5-8times before it works and it's getting ridiculous. Something has to be done about crashes and other time-out glitches and server-wide lag problems, WG needs to move to focus away from the in-game development, and onto the server support fixing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,050 posts
7,786 battles

The problem for any software for the Windows platform is the large number of hardware and software drivers the software has to deal with.

I'm running the game on a fairly standard HP laptop with built-in nVidia graphics, my game crashes maybe once or twice a month, often after I don't reboot for several days.

You may have a combination of hardware/drivers that crashes, whereas the majority of players never see that issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
406 posts
7,295 battles
7 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

The problem for any software for the Windows platform is the large number of hardware and software drivers the software has to deal with.

I'm running the game on a fairly standard HP laptop with built-in nVidia graphics, my game crashes maybe once or twice a month, often after I don't reboot for several days.

You may have a combination of hardware/drivers that crashes, whereas the majority of players never see that issue.

 

Thats all well and good but windows is by far the most popular platform so the game should be stable on that platform at least. Not random lagging and crashes etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
537 posts
8,118 battles
2 hours ago, dieselhead said:

Thats all well and good but windows is by far the most popular platform so the game should be stable on that platform at least. Not random lagging and crashes etc.

Any game is going to have issues with individual PC's having driver issues and crashes related to software problems on that PC. WOWS problems run deeper, they even admit it in the new waterline video series. Changing to a 4 week patch rotation is completely due to far too many bugs slipping through the cracks and into the live release version. Constant disconnects and not able to reconnect despite internet working 100% , Port interface extremely laggy and almost unusable at times, recent major FPS drop that has been fixed, torpedoes firing backwards, tab key not releasing causing team list to get stuck on screen, torpedoes that pass through solid objects like islands and ships....... etc......etc.....

Since around the French BB line entering the game things seem to have gotten worse. My clan mates have mentioned several different issues relating to crashes and disconnects. Others on forum have reported the same issues.

WOWS is without a doubt one of the buggiest and most crash prone games I have played.

Edited by HobartAWD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,050 posts
7,786 battles
On 5/7/2018 at 6:44 PM, dieselhead said:

Thats all well and good but windows is by far the most popular platform so the game should be stable on that platform at least. Not random lagging and crashes etc.

In one of the WG videos they say that they have something like 200 Windows PC configurations they test the games on. And then they do the beta-tests, where testers report problems. So WG is certainly putting a lot of effort into the Windows platform. But the number of configs they can test is not unlimited. Just imagine the number of available CPU’s, motherboards, graphics cards, windows versions, motherboard firmware, graphics card firmware, other software installed. The total number of combinations would be astronomic.

 

At least here on the forums, there seem very few complaints about crashes.

 

You are one of those few, and fair enough, that’s frustrating. Especially if WoWS is the only games that crashes your computer. Or is other software crashing?

 

All that aside, complaining here and making demands will achieve little or nothing. You have to work through the issues. The obvious question would be if you have updated the drivers and various firmware? I guess you did. Have you tried re-installing or repairing the game? Reboot?

 

I once had an issue with my photo editing software, drove me nuts. I tried forums and google searches and everything that came to mind, no luck. Then I said, I pay for the software, may as well use tech support. A tech asked me if I had upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10 and I said yes. He said, create a new user, install the software under that new user and switch to the old user. Apparently, there are some things that are not done properly by the Win 10 upgrade. I did followed the advice and it fixed the problem. That’s what I mean with “working through the issues”.

 

If nothing helps, start a support ticket and give WG your hardware and software configuration. They may even be able to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
406 posts
7,295 battles
6 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

In one of the WG videos they say that they have something like 200 Windows PC configurations they test the games on. And then they do the beta-tests, where testers report problems. So WG is certainly putting a lot of effort into the Windows platform. But the number of configs they can test is not unlimited. Just imagine the number of available CPU’s, motherboards, graphics cards, windows versions, motherboard firmware, graphics card firmware, other software installed. The total number of combinations would be astronomic.

 

At least here on the forums, there seem very few complaints about crashes.

 

You are one of those few, and fair enough, that’s frustrating. Especially if WoWS is the only games that crashes your computer. Or is other software crashing?

 

All that aside, complaining here and making demands will achieve little or nothing. You have to work through the issues. The obvious question would be if you have updated the drivers and various firmware? I guess you did. Have you tried re-installing or repairing the game? Reboot?

 

I once had an issue with my photo editing software, drove me nuts. I tried forums and google searches and everything that came to mind, no luck. Then I said, I pay for the software, may as well use tech support. A tech asked me if I had upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10 and I said yes. He said, create a new user, install the software under that new user and switch to the old user. Apparently, there are some things that are not done properly by the Win 10 upgrade. I did followed the advice and it fixed the problem. That’s what I mean with “working through the issues”.

 

If nothing helps, start a support ticket and give WG your hardware and software configuration. They may even be able to help.

I'm not the only one having issues. Lots of my clan mates are having the same problems. The issue has only risen in the last few updates and I've done nothing to my system in that time so clearly the fault isn't my end. If WG want to supply a game and charge money for premium time etc then it's on them to deliver a playable game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
2,254 posts
13,968 battles

For me there are certain known issues that indicate the WG culture. Take for example CV autopilot. They know it's broken yet they would rather invest time into things like spaceships than fix the underlying game. Even if your new stuff is bug free if you patch it into a buggy core then things can still go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
537 posts
8,118 battles
5 hours ago, keskparane said:

For me there are certain known issues that indicate the WG culture. Take for example CV autopilot. They know it's broken yet they would rather invest time into things like spaceships than fix the underlying game. Even if your new stuff is bug free if you patch it into a buggy core then things can still go wrong.

Yep. I realise that WG knew that there was a CV control interface rework coming, but the players who play CV day in day out still have to put up with broken autopilot until then. Why not fix it for us? It is a know issue for quite a long time.

When will we get the CV rework? Typical WG SOON ™. In the long meantime while you are still playing broken CVs, here have this stupid flashy game mode with lasers (that is just WOWS with invisible water, shells re-skinned as lasers with same slow shell velocity and gimmicky ship skins) that makes us look like we are doing good things for our player base. :Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,050 posts
7,786 battles
14 hours ago, dieselhead said:

I'm not the only one having issues. Lots of my clan mates are having the same problems. The issue has only risen in the last few updates and I've done nothing to my system in that time so clearly the fault isn't my end. If WG want to supply a game and charge money for premium time etc then it's on them to deliver a playable game.

Does that mean you refuse to work through the issues and whinge instead?

Do what you want. But that's not how you fix problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
3,926 posts
4,202 battles

The game records crash files.  Maybe WG need to build it into the game that this is returned to the devs for analysis to help with these crashes.   The consistent part is that the do occur every patch, but rarely affect a large number of players which is a source of frustration for those few that have issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
231 posts
11,934 battles

The rate of crash to desktop during 5 seconds before game start have pretty much increased currently. Lets not forget the operation bug where you have to try change leader after re-invite just to get non-ops of the week running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
406 posts
7,295 battles
9 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Does that mean you refuse to work through the issues and whinge instead?

Do what you want. But that's not how you fix problems.

You know, If this was an isolated incident then I wouldn't be too fussed about it as these things happen. But 3 patches in a row is getting a bit much. Exactly what am I supposed to work through mate?? I'm a diesel mechanic by trade so what do I know about coding etc??

I've already looked into my system which is all I can do from my end. I bet when you pay for something that doesn't do what its supposed to you don't whinge do you mate? What do you expect me to do?

I will do what I want no matter what you say and I'm 41 years old and well aware of how problems are solved.

Your comments about me whinging(not that I think I really did whinge anyway) are completely useless to solving this problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
537 posts
8,118 battles

I agree. A bit naïve to say there are not many people complaining about crashes. If you are having a smooth crash free WOWS experience well good luck to you. You are obviously not going to be seeking out all the threads about crashes
and DC and lagging choppy port screen to fix your game if your game is working fine.

Then there are the poor sods who have issues with crashes and DC and when they have had a gut full of the problems they tell people about it and get told it is a waste of time and it will not achieve anything!

Many of my clan mates too have mentioned laggy port screen making it hard to apply camo and signals plus crashes and DC occurring with increased regularity since the last few patches. Add to this all the people looking for help and answers here on the forum. Many posts about crashes and other problems. How many do not post here and just put up with these persistent issues? How many are going to simply just drop the game because of the seemingly lack of interest and/or help from certain parts of the forum community?

The only way we are going to "work through the issues" is by telling WG about the problems so they can be fixed. For me also, WOWS is the only program or game that has any regular crashes and disconnects. I am not going to waste my time going over my PC with a fine tooth comb when the problem lies with WG's product that I like many support financially. I used to be a PC tech so I know when the problem is outside my control. I would encourage anyone experiencing regular WOWS crashes, poor game performance or disconnects to let WG know and complain about it. Enough voices might mean something actually gets done about it.

The first step in resolving any issue is drawing attention to it and acknowledging that it exists. WG are a profit driven business and until the wheel gets very squeaky they will not apply any grease. 

Edited by HobartAWD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,050 posts
7,786 battles
19 hours ago, dieselhead said:

Your comments about me whinging(not that I think I really did whinge anyway) are completely useless to solving this problem.

That's a fair comment.

I am not entire sure if you have been in contact about WG? Have they asked you to send your computer configuration, that kind of thing?

11 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

The only way we are going to "work through the issues" is by telling WG about the problems so they can be fixed.

Well, have you been in contact with WG about the crashes?

 But you are not telling Wg, you complain on a public forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
3,926 posts
4,202 battles

Whilst not trying to trivialise the effect this has on individuals, it would be interesting to see an actual percentage of players that are suffering these issues.

10K players and a handful of threads would indicate it is not widespread and may be either system or network related.   The combination of OS/programs/drivers that may cause a conflict would be staggering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
537 posts
8,118 battles
34 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Well, have you been in contact with WG about the crashes?

 But you are not telling Wg, you complain on a public forum.

At the end of the day I am able to play the game. I do not have the more severe and regular crashes and/or disconnects that others do. Being a former PC tech I do fully understand how all this works. Every single time a new patch is released despite all the testing on many many different configurations of both hardware and software there are always people who will have problems because they have older hardware untested by WG or software/driver conflicts. I get it. This is an issue on all software and games not only with WOWS.

This is a WG run and moderated forum. WOWS is a WG product. By talking about these problems here we are telling WG. On top of my contact with WG telling me these issues are under investigation, talking about it with other players that are having problems who are also mentioning that others in their clan have had problems with (crash, disconnect, lagging UI, etc...) is only going to bring more attention to make WG realise how wide spread (or not) these problems are and decide what to do about it. Information is power. Talking about it to at least get an idea of how many are experiencing what problems is surely a good thing? That is what a forum is for. If we cannot talk about WOWS on the WOWS forum where do you suggest ? Please enlighten me?

The WOWS player base is always growing and changing, so a suggestion like what @RalphTheTheatreCat said about crash logs being able to be returned to WG can only be a very good thing for the future stability of the game.

My clan is comprised of totally random people who met while in battle and were given an invite to join that clan. If many in that one clan are mentioning crashes, disconnects and the lagging port interface it is obviously a more wide spread issue. That is just my clan. Many posts I have read the same with someone mentioning offhand that others in their clan have experienced the same problems. I am also seeing in battle AFK ships which come back into the game several minutes in and apologise for being late into the game with a crash or disconnect. In my experience this is occurring way more in the last few patches than it has ever before. Again MM is random so maybe I am getting teamed up with everyone with 10 year old PCs who have never updated drivers. I can't say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,050 posts
7,786 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 4:34 PM, HobartAWD said:

By talking about these problems here we are telling WG.

You are a paying customer. Why in the world would you not give WG at least the chance to help you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,050 posts
7,786 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

10K players and a handful of threads would indicate it is not widespread and may be either system or network related.   The combination of OS/programs/drivers that may cause a conflict would be staggering.

Yes, agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
461 posts
8,546 battles

I'd suggest anyone having lag issues should try turning down their graphic settings. Experiment a bit (using co-op battles to test) to find what works a bit better. I have a 10 year old machine and surprisingly have fewer issues than many people. It's likely because I basically have most of the graphics options turned down/off.

I also find the port screen more laggy than it used to be, so something is definitely worse than before. Whilst I seem to have lower ping times than previous I end up with weird network related situations sometimes. Sometimes when I shoot at a moving vessel (going reasonably quick but not full speed necessarily), I give appropriate lead and the shells land under my aiming reticule as if the ship were stationary. I've also recently had my guns shoot in another direction entirely, and been unable to fire despite being loaded and on target in the client (the turrets and aim were desynced essentially). Luckily I seem to have these issues less frequently than many others do.

There shouldn't be that many different hardware/OS combinations. The only OS's they officially support are windows Vista,7,8 and10. They have two different DirectX renderers DX9 and DX10. There are only really two GPU vendors, each with unified drivers that cover almost all their hardware except the exotic stuff. With the 200 odd machines they use for testing they should be able to test most configurations except the obsolete or exotic.

The old days of computing were much worse. There were many more hardware vendors and many more standards, and in the days of DOS no software abstraction to make things easier for developers. Software devs had to write their own drivers for each piece of hardware, so if yours wasn't supported you were out of luck. The whole point of modern OS design (apart from looking nice and easy to use) is to abstract that stuff away so that devs can just work on their software.

What makes it hard for them is the complexity of their software, they'd have a fairly large code base. That can make it very hard to track down bugs, especially when different configurations behave differently. It could take a while to track down problems like this, memory leaks and performance issues are difficult to fix. Once they find the problem that's only half way there, then they have to fix it, which could be a small job, but could also be very large if it requires something be redesigned or refactored. I've had to do it with software in the past, and it's no walk in the park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×