You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IndominusWrath

Remove IFHE from Commander skill

17 comments in this topic

58 posts
3,227 battles

I know some people might find this as a joke. but I think IFHE as a commander skill is bad. As it restricts us from only taking certain amount of commander skills instead of actually changing playstyle for myself. I dont know how others manage, but in Akizuki, Atlanta, who has some "JOKE" gun HE penetration cannot do anything on uptiered. And once I spend life on ifhe either i have to sacrifice something that I really shouldnt (i.e. Concealment or Radio location).

I know developers will never read this but I still want to hear your opinions.

Wouldnt it be better if IFHE was as part of a Module/Upgrade because it is a part of ship which has nothing to do with commander so I think IFHE in ship's upgrade slot is better. Like Shell Modification 1/ Ifhe = HE shells do more penetration. (and fire chance reduced by 40%)

if youre wondering what to put as empty commander skill now, how about "advanced flooding resistant crew" or something like that, "-15% flooding damage per time"

Edited by HawkPotato

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
439 posts
15,354 battles

I think Akizuki is the only ship that it really is a "must have" skill. Even then, some clever ammo switching can overcome most of the caliber limitations it has. Atlanta was fine without it tbh and even with it, the IFHE is pretty situational. I find it only really help against BBs of equal or higher tier. Tier 5's and 6's get a free ride against an IFHE Atlanta.

So no, I don't think it needs removing.

381 posts
9,973 battles

CE/AS should be removed first. IFHE is a situational skill for some ships while AS is mandatory for a whole class and pretty much every ship in the game takes CE.

104 posts
9,328 battles

How about no. 

You keep removing skills on the basis of "I had to sacrifice skill points", you'll continue to use that excuse on every new build anyways. 

First you remove IFHE, so people spec in MAA or RPF instead, then people lobby for those skills to be removed, and so on... 

114 posts
3,889 battles
2 hours ago, HawkPotato said:

I know some people might find this as a joke.

Im pretty sure you can change 'some people' to 'almost everyone'.

Video Contributor
2,279 posts
10,881 battles

Remove IFHE

run another things that better than IFHE instead 

Atlanta = IFHE+AFT+CE to MAA+AFT+CE (my actual Atlanta is IFHE+AFT+MAA)

Akizuki = IFHE+AFT/CE to MAA+AFT+CE

Cleveland = IFHE+AFT+CE to MAA+AFT+CE or AFT+CE+DE

that’s what you want?

Edited by Onlinegamer

1,135 posts

skill that need to be remove is the skill that 'universally taken' by every player, every ship and every class in game.

it's made game lack of variety build

349 posts
4,845 battles

In practice I can't say it is that onerous. I've opted for a dedicated IFHE captain for Mogami, and will do the same for Akizuki - but since my Shiratsuyu captain will get 10 points around the time he can move on to Akizuki it should work out nicely. By 14 points he finally gets CE I guess.

It's just simple prioritizing. What do you get first? What do you leave for later? Progression past 10 points is painfully slow, so the selection must me done carefully, but on the other hand 10 points already get's you a capably spec'd ship, it's not going to be completely outclassed by a 14 or 16 pt captain the way a 3 point captain might be.

(look at it this way, most people out there are going to have just one 4 pt skill. Choosing IFHE means no CE, choosing CE means no FP, choosing FP means no RDF. Even if 90% of people take CE, that's fine: the important thing is people who choose something else don't have CE. not until they reach a very high level anyway.)

Edited by Rina_Pon

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

Most of Admiral Skill doesn't have anything to do with Admiral but upgrade of module technology.
It just matter of placing & combination of skill, not really similar to reality.

But I do support OP, as 50% of my Admiral really need skill reset. If WG make changes to Admiral Skill, like before, they give free admiral reset. :cap_like:

1,384 posts
9,060 battles

I like the OP's idea. Makes IFHE less of a mandatory pick than it is now for ships like Akizuki.

Besides, I also look at it more from a ship balancing perspective. Captain skills are usable across several ships. Problem is IFHE is that it gives such a big power boost to those ships that use it. CLs like 155 Mogami and Chapayev can easily out-DPM their CA counterparts with it. Akizuki only gets it fearsome anti-DD reputation thanks to IFHE. But for other ships IFHE does not have much of an effect. But if WG were to buff IFHE to make it more attractive to those ships which normally don't use it, then they run the risk of making the ships that do use IFHE too strong.

Does WG balance ships with the inclusion of captain skills or without? If IFHE was made into a ship upgrade, then WG can have more control over balance. A ship is too strong with the IFHE ship upgrade? Then prevent that ship from using it.

287 posts
23,960 battles

No. Absolutely not. IFHE is amazing and makes the game better, leave it the hell alone.

And by makes the game better, I mean I use it on my KGV commander to HE citadel every T5-T8 cruiser in the game all day.

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

The problem is HE penetration mechanic  in this game is kinda weird, still no ideal why they use 1/6 of the shell's diameter for most ships, but 1/4 for British BB, German BB/CA. In case of German BB it make sense due they need to use secondary gun, German CA don't need it since they already have superior AP , but Brits's BB.......really?:Smile_facepalm:

Mean while the ship that need it especially high tier ship with low caliber gun  don't access that bonus. In case of Akizuki (or bull B Harekaze), it even worse since her will need both CE and IFHE  to make her work probably in room 8+ (which like 70% of time).  that make will need  14 skill captain and that a lot of investment .( i will not complain if i can pay to get 10+ skill captain, but sadly not)

Well. at least IFHE as a skill still make more sense than CE for me.:cap_book:

Edited by K135Blitzkrieg

1,386 posts
8,325 battles

If you look through the skill tree more carefully, you will find other "almost mandatory" skills like IFHE. Concealment expert for surface ships, last stand for DDs, air superiority for CVs…

The way I see it, IFHE is a clever way to increase the performance of ships with small caliber without breaking the current HE penetration system. It also takes four points away, making full AA build for ships like Atlanta, MK and Akizuki (and Worcester in the future) less viable. Many CLs have exceptionally good AA suite, limiting the amount of full AA build makes sense.

Well, having a smaller caliber means a price to be paid, and that is four extra points to invest on IFHE. I see no problem with where this perk is going.

1,050 posts
7,717 battles

And I think it’s safe to say that  IFHE is something most players accept a valuable skill for destroyers and cruisers with 4 and 6-inch guns, it becomes a question of prioritizing the 4 point skills.

I don’t think you will get consensus, or even a majority when you want to remove it.

331 posts
7,013 battles

Should put IFHE as a T2 skill and move Adrenaline Rush to T4 skill. 

229 posts
11,904 battles

AP works fine on my akizuki at the moment. Not such a big deal tbh.

i need to re-spec my glorious kgv to make use of 1/4 for British BB now that i know it

35 posts
11,105 battles

I think WG just wanna make ATLANTA and AKI as the ship for DD hunting and attack light cruisers not farming dmg on BB. ATLANTA may be unable to penetrate BBs' hull but to destruct bridge and set fire is totally enough. For AKI, your primary primary primary job is hunting DD. Maybe for this reason, they set HE penetration of this ship very low but enough to penetrate light armour ships. I think the ships which really have IFHE issue should be new US light cruisers with 152-155mm deck guns, which is coming soon. For these ships, they have responsibility to be a damage maker in a combat. Without IFHE, they cannot even hurt UK BBs' hull. For these new US cruisers, the AA def, Concealment and IFHE all vital skill but IFHE need 4 skill point, which means the new US cruisers must give up one of these three vital skill. It would be a tough choice.