You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

BBs running scared? "The Asashio Effect(tm)"

50 comments in this topic

295 posts
4,416 battles

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but, wow, after the introduction of Asashio into the game the starting lineups in Random have gone from 4-5 BBs per side to 1-3 per side, even in T5 battles where the Asashio is guaranteed never to show up.

Actual number of Asashio's sighted in game still relatively rare, though I suppose not that uncommon when playing T8. So it's not the ship, but the very idea that the ship exists, that is apparently causing people to queue up their cruisers and gunboat DDs and leaving their BBs in port.

Hats off to WG. The ship itself may be irritating, but as a tool for correcting the ship type balance in Randoms it's working brilliantly.

Edited by Rina_Pon

[LNA]
1,624 posts
10,256 battles

@Rina_Pon you might want to remove the C word , it is a violation here dude.

Idk about that , asashio is quite rare. It has a negative impact on MEANINGFUL BB play , the sucker at the back is still safe , while pushing and active BB are getting punished.

321 posts
10,403 battles

When BB's too many roaming in the game, players complain about "balance".

When DD's too many roaming in the game, players complain about "balance".

When CL and CA too many roaming in the game,  player complain about "balance".

When CV plane roaming the sky and help to scout enemy's movement, players complain about "balance".

Geez... Its hard to please everyone.

Back to the story, whenever I saw Asashio's at my enemy side's in the game, my DD's very please to met them.

354 posts
3,633 battles

I still see lot of bb in q.

And i still play bb. Who care about that 20km torp.

Edited by th3vikings

1,444 posts

Asashio or pistachio, still makes holes, so it makes no difference to me.... I won't run scared of it, so it will only catch those stupid enough not to watch the minimap.....

Now Kamikaze, that's the real villain in the game, you can't even see them then bang! Your dead, without even a blip on the minimap..... Even the R rated version....

They are the ones to fear....  Unless I'm in a cruiser, I know I'm pretty dead if I see one in the enemy line-up (unless a team mate wipes it out )...

Ordrazz

295 posts
4,416 battles

Asashio is useless at pretty much everything but killing BBs. A DD that is completely helpless against enemy cruisers.

I must admit I'm happier to see one on the enemy team than on mine, but I must also admit I haven't bothered playing T6-8 BBs recently either. (just bought Sims ...)

7 posts
6,456 battles

I mostly play bbs, but did pick up an Asashio as a curiosity.  I disagree that this ship is a threat to 'meaningful' bb play.  Actually, all the success I have had with it is against those annoying bb players that line up bow on and just sit stationary at range or go backwards...they are the ones I hit with Asashio torps.  If anything, I think this dd is making high tier bb play more interesting because now bbs know they cannot sit in just one place and snipe into caps. 

295 posts
4,416 battles

I also disagree that it punishes BBs who push especially. BBs who push face torps from all enemy DDs, pan-asian etc, it's only the backmarkers that are seeing a radical change in threat level. 

OK, there's the ultra-low spotting distance / high speed to contend with I admit, but torps is torps - any BB who behaves predictably is going to suffer for it.

I think what gets people annoyed about Asashio is this idea that it can hit you and yet remain completely out of reach. In practice though from what I've seen  Asashio drivers have been running forward and playing the ship much like any other IJN DD: getting as close as they can to the enemy without being spotted. The long range gives some tactical advantage, but as everyone knows the closer you are the more torps will hit, so its not something which is done to the exclusion of all else, far from it.

270 posts
23,249 battles
5 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

I also disagree that it punishes BBs who push especially. BBs who push face torps from all enemy DDs, pan-asian etc, it's only the backmarkers that are seeing a radical change in threat level. 

That's a bit of a skewed representation of the sort of experience frontline bbs had in a pre Asashio meta. BBs that support right up near the cap all run vigilance and are perfectly happy to have to torpedo beat or even take a few torps for the trade off that the enemy dd has to bring himself within the sort of range where risks getting spotted by my allied dds, or within radar range of USSR cruisers, etc. We prioritize baiting enemy dds to try and torp us, forcing an engagement between our dds and the enemy dds, and shoot the enemy dds with AP, hoping for broken amounts of AP damage (which should be removed from the game imo) and thus eliminate enemy dds early on.

Asashio doesn't need to risk that, she can spam torps towards us from 15-16 km away, never having to engage that trade off. Even Gearings and Shima's need to come a bit closer so they don't hit their team mates infront of them with their torps (and shima 20Km are super easy to dodge). Asashios torp from behind their allied cruisers and destroyers with impunity. 

So yeah as a BB player who likes playing from near the objective 5-6 km behind allied dds, I've definitely experienced a radical change when asashio's enter the equation.

Edited by Pervis117

980 posts
12,617 battles

Asashio's torpedoes aren't very accurate at long ranges. It definitely needs a buff. 

I think WG needs to put in some sort of homing system on the Asashio's torpedoes that activate after the torpedoes have run more than 15km without hitting anything, and then automatically track and kill the biggest target within the area. Otherwise, Asashio is kinda underpowered. 

321 posts
10,403 battles
16 minutes ago, LordTyphoon said:

I think WG needs to put in some sort of homing system on the Asashio's torpedoes that activate after the torpedoes have run more than 15km without hitting anything, and then automatically track and kill the biggest target within the area. Otherwise, Asashio is kinda underpowered. 

For god sake, please don't suggest to WG that kind of idea.

Later the game will turn to something like this & everyone just play DD's later on.

1cWpPCb.gif.00246a0f08844e7ea8226cb1292b6036.gif

Edited by ArchKongou

341 posts
3,973 battles

On the other hand, I've had the opposite experience with Asashio, having played... exclusively BBs for the last 2 weeks while grinding some captains and lines.

My first game with Asashio went something like this.

The enemy has 2 Asashios, my team has none. I'm a North Carolina. 5v5 BBs, Two Brothers Domination. Oh no, I'm soooo dead. 
*Pushes up to cap against island*
*Sees DWTs miss.*
*All le allied BBs camp minus me and one KGV abusing island*

*Enemy Asashios try to hunt our BBs and never contest the caps, dying to our DDs on the borders*
*Enemy never pushes, my team never pushes, only our DDs contest the caps so our points tick over and we win with only 4 ships dead on both teams, 3 on the enemy including both Asashios*

And the situation repeats itself.

I really dislike the playstyle Asashio draws out of its players and the community in general. Plenty of games with allied Asashios have gone to a disadvantage as they do the Dreaded IJN-DD-MUST-FLANKTM tactic chasing passive BBs (Quickly followed by the Asashio's painful death out of position). Games with Asashio are generally... more boring and more passive. At the same time Asashio's good concealment and capping ability go neglected.

As for me? My playstyle didn't change too much and I've only actually been torped once by Asashio to date (Which did not stop me from scoring above average damage that game and winning).

If the Asashio has had positive effects on the decrease in BB numbers and that was intended, I must concede that isn't... bad. But truth be told I've seen 5 DD per side matchmaking far more often recently. I haven't exactly smiled to see an Asashio on my team.

My perception of Asashio's downfalls add on to my current belief that a good portion of the playerbase really needs to be educated on how to make good game decisions and to play properly.

But then again, I don't actually own an Asashio :Smile-_tongue:

980 posts
12,617 battles
13 hours ago, ArchKongou said:

For god sake, please don't suggest to WG that kind of idea.

Later the game will turn to something like this & everyone just play DD's later on.

1cWpPCb.gif.00246a0f08844e7ea8226cb1292b6036.gif

WHY U NO UNDERSTAND JOKE

Super Tester
7,386 posts
7,907 battles

Asashio is extremely potent at the right hand. I don't think people calling her useless are being serious, either trolling, or doesn't really understand DD play. Does it punish pushing BBs more than other DDs do? I do not think so. Now, if a BB pushes alone, he should already know its a suicide run for most cases. Being close to friendly ships actually present you more opportunities to avoid torpedoes. And I do not really think Asashio has any impact on BBs running away, they would do it anyway lol.

1,062 posts
3,824 battles
2 hours ago, PGM991 said:

shot-18_04.29_13_39.08-0564.thumb.jpg.1ac44a35a1fad9e0c358d6c4cef822b9.jpg

yeah.... rare alright

I see 'WG's NEW AND IMPROVED'  MM is working well.

Still can't split same type ships between teams evenly!

164 posts
5,389 battles

Nothing changed much honestly, i'm a main BB player. If played as an actual team with dds in front screening for torps then Asashio is just a hopeless ship to be around.

shot-18_04.29_13_39.08-0564.thumb.jpg.1ac44a35a1fad9e0c358d6c4cef822b9.jpg

yeah.... rare alright

You must be very lucky running into that, opponents be like 

W2ZULYq.png

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,897 battles
On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018‎ at 2:57 PM, BanditSE1977 said:

I see 'WG's NEW AND IMPROVED'  MM is working well.

Still can't split same type ships between teams evenly!

Ummm what's wrong with the MM? Both teams have the same number of class ships and tier level of ship?

1,062 posts
3,824 battles
2 hours ago, yobbo1972 said:

Ummm what's wrong with the MM? Both teams have the same number of class ships and tier level of ship?

5 DD per team but:

4 Asashio on team A

2 HSF Harekaze on team B ( plus 1 Asashio )

Instead of splitting them more evenly between the teams,the MM has split them this way.Its just so that the teams are more evened out by individual ship types so their capabilities are more evenly split with them ( like when there is a premium version of a ship and tech tree version and they have different stats).

Their have been complaints before about this before,and given the improvements WG were on about lately with the MM I thought this would have fixed as well.WG did claim that it was 'too hard' last time I seen it brought up,so I guess it still is!

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,897 battles
14 hours ago, BanditSE1977 said:

5 DD per team but:

4 Asashio on team A

2 HSF Harekaze on team B ( plus 1 Asashio )

Instead of splitting them more evenly between the teams,the MM has split them this way.Its just so that the teams are more evened out by individual ship types so their capabilities are more evenly split with them ( like when there is a premium version of a ship and tech tree version and they have different stats).

Their have been complaints before about this before,and given the improvements WG were on about lately with the MM I thought this would have fixed as well.WG did claim that it was 'too hard' last time I seen it brought up,so I guess it still is!

MM only making sure each team has the same numbers of BBs, CA/CL and DDs it doesn't matter about the same type of ship.

I see no problem with this.

but I'm sure they will get it right at some point.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,779 posts
4,027 battles
16 hours ago, BanditSE1977 said:

Expect long wait times if you want perfectly mirrored MM.  I'll stick with equivalent classes and get a quick entry into a game thanks

129 posts

its time to bring back kitakami with LOLwater torpedo (not pan asia lelwater). except its only 12km and the speed is only 59 knot.....

Torpedo : hit anything

Lelwater Torpedo : CA/CL, BB, CV

Lolwater Torpedo : BB, CV

everyone said asashio is punishing pushing BB, well, the only thing that to be nerfed is torpedo SPEED. German BB got hydro, yet still got hit -_-

i think the main purposue of Asashio is not punish camping BB, but punish the whole BB. there is a lot of BB and CV as counter got nerfed, so we need new counter.....

next time BRING PREMIUM CRUISER WITH 20km LOLWATER torpedo!!!!

Asashio is the next META CHANGER! BB need to be reduced!