You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xMidnight_Bladex

How to even play New Mexico?

16 comments in this topic

1 post
284 battles

Man, where do I start with the problems of this ship that I encountered...

The firing range is just god damn awful at 14.6 km and I already find my New York having 16-ish km firing range quite bearably, but this just takes it up a notch. Because of this firing range, I am trying my best to sneak across the map, hopefully undetected or tagging along with other ships, trying and !@#$% praying on getting a kill somehow but then there will be other BB that rains down on me from long range, which makes up 90% of my matches and it is especially worse when I get placed with the other tier 7 ships very often and they just simply rain me down at range, while im struggling to get into a close range to at least some AP damage and when that happens, half of HP pool is already gone due to HE shells fires, and them just AP at my citadel, and probably laughing at how am I such as easy ship. I am still relatively new to this ship, but at the very least I can somewhat angle my guns and not show my broadside as much as possible but once I get into that firing range, there are already other ships surrounding me at all directions. Also, what is the use of good armour when you are soaking up x3 more damage at that range and good concealment when spotters are everywhere. At least I can somewhat yolo and mindlessly shoot down a target, while this ship requires to perform mathematics calculations on its angle or more. 

And no, don't simply tell me to upgrade my Hull and Artillery, cos those cost quite some XP and all my matches so far is getting 300 ~ 600 XP range per battle and this is demoralising.

Edited by xMidnight_Bladex

[LBAS]
4,329 posts
25,292 battles

American BBs have a unique upgrade

Icon_modernization_PCM028_FireControl_Mod_I_US.png

Artillery Plotting Room Modification 1

500000Credits
  • +16% to main battery maximum firing range.
  • +5% to secondary battery maximum firing range.
  • -5% to maximum dispersion of secondary battery shells.
Available only to American battleships.

more to learn >> http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades

Edited by MatterCore

1,062 posts
3,824 battles
1 hour ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Upgrade your hull and artillery 

Unfortunately this is the answer if you are worried about range.A lot of ships have crap range on Hull A,and you have to suffer through it till you can get enough XP to get the range module.

The only other thing if you are earning enough credits to afford it is get the Spotter 2 module so you can use it more often.

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles

If you manage to get a 10 point captain on New Mex, take concealment expert skill. New Mex is very stealthy and this will help you to land precise salvos. She has 12 guns, any cruiser's biggest fear. Your main target are cruisers. Your concealment range with CE is around 12 km (I forgot exact numbers), stay around that range for earlier engagements, so if you are getting a lot of incoming fire, just stop shooting and go into  concealment, heal up and join the fight again.

NM is a very good BB at T6.

354 posts
9,048 battles

Why don't you grind out the upgrades, at least, in operations? I did the whole grind very quickly that way because I'd just got the Missouri and I wanted to push the NM captain up to 19pts and use him on it, but figured it would be better to have him on a t7 ship so, as it would be much cheaper to retrain him when he was still 11pts rather than 19, it meant a rapid grind to the  Colorado.

I'm a little sorry about that though as I liked the NM a lot more than the Colorado and I intend returning to it sometime and doing a proper number of randoms in it rather than the handful I've currently done.

449 posts
8,073 battles

Most of your problem is that it's a stock ship and you haven't got the plotting room upgrade. Grinding in Operations isn't a bad idea, but she won't be up to her potential there either until upgraded.

The problem with NM is she's slow, so you really have to get your positioning right. If you get too close you can't escape before the HE spammers get you, but if you're too far you won't be able to get into firing range and can't catch up. Use this to tune how you approach, if you're getting burned a lot, don't rush in so fast. If you often struggle to get into range, take a more direct route to the fight (but again don't rush). Using your concealment range (and possibly the captain skill) to stay hidden until you can strike is a good idea, it's how NM has always had to cope against Fuso.

If you get lumped as being bottom tier in a T7-8 match play a support role, use islands to limit other ability to shoot at you and don't fret if you get sunk. It's common knowledge that T6's of all shapes struggle in that space.

It gets easier once she's upgraded, but the same issues still arise. Colorado suffers from poor speed as well, just it has better range on it's guns.

[IDOLM]
28 posts
9,884 battles

First of all, The NEW MX has second best fire range in tier 6 BBs, which is over 18km so don't tell me u don't use any modification. If u don't even wanna use any Modification u'd better to play coop or just stay in tier 1-3. Second, NY can shoot 20km but can u effectively hit target specially a doggy CA????? If u aiming skill is good like that I think u won't complain here. For BBs the effective attack range is around 15-16km even 12km for some new players. over 16km your hit accuracy will drop unless the target is stoped or just move straight way without any speed change or turn. And u are a BB, u should be the one to take dmg for your team, what u wanna do stay 20km behind?? snip?? if BBs don't take damage your cruisers will be unable to cover DDs in close range. As a result of this u DDs will not go spot for u and the whole team will be pushed into a corner and sunk. So sosooso, if a BB has 15 around fire range that's enough specially in tier 6 battle. Don't just think throw rubbish from 20km behind. u could hit nothing and will screw other team members.

212 posts
13,748 battles
On 5/2/2018 at 8:48 AM, Sparcie said:

Grinding in Operations isn't a bad idea,

One teeny, tiny problem. Well 2. Sorta.

1) She is slow. 

2) 34s reload. Which I didn't realise for many games until I asked "why is she taking forever to reload!? Fuso doesn't take this long!!!"

Yes, you can play her in OPs but you have to find her niche role in OPs. She can't react to situations and you basically have to plan what you are going to do from start to finish.

449 posts
8,073 battles
22 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

One teeny, tiny problem. Well 2. Sorta.

1) She is slow. 

2) 34s reload. Which I didn't realise for many games until I asked "why is she taking forever to reload!? Fuso doesn't take this long!!!"

Yes, you can play her in OPs but you have to find her niche role in OPs. She can't react to situations and you basically have to plan what you are going to do from start to finish.

Yeah but it's easier there than in PvP, especially with a stock ship. It's predictable so you can practice and try out different ideas. Her slowness is a problem but again you can plan and prepare because it's a predictable situation.

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles

Actually this is the best time to grind t6, even stock ships. All the t8s are busy in ranked, you will mostly get top or mid tier MM. So do it fast.

Besides, the stock Mex now is much easier than what she used to be as I recall.

Scenarios are not optimal for BBs with long reloads.

164 posts
5,389 battles

Well you shouldn't expect anything with stock modules & upgrades, the enemy can even show their full broadside and you can't do anything, even at near close range.

Haven't played any Random battle with her fully upgraded stuff but seems alot better, played a few Ops recently.

Yeah, just play Ops first, my advice is to get a good division for it as well. Random people might ruin the secondary objectives.

[LNA]
1,617 posts
10,244 battles
On 4/5/2018 at 2:21 PM, icy_phoenix said:

Actually this is the best time to grind t6, even stock ships. All the t8s are busy in ranked, you will mostly get top or mid tier MM. So do it fast.

Besides, the stock Mex now is much easier than what she used to be as I recall.

Scenarios are not optimal for BBs with long reloads.

you still have to move around at 21knts with abysmal gun range though. Although with experience you do know where to go to make the most of it , for newer guys you are asking the impossible.

My advice , if the road is too thorny , grind another ship , save free exp to unlock the necessary modules.

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles
1 hour ago, legionary2099 said:

you still have to move around at 21knts with abysmal gun range though. Although with experience you do know where to go to make the most of it , for newer guys you are asking the impossible.

No, New Mex was my first T6 BB, grinded long time ago when there were 3 hulls. I was "new" back then. I'm average skilled player, if I could do it, anyone even average can. It's without doubt very possible.

Besides, IMHO, it's a good thing that low/mid tier US BBs are slow. Takes longer time to meet unavoidable doom.