Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShirouRabbit

An intimate engagement

3 comments in this topic

6 posts
1,433 battles

Hi All,

I'm new here, starting on all the IJN lines, currently up to Tier 6 on Cruisers, 5 on DD, 4 on BB and CV.

I had time for one game this morning, so grabbed my Hosho and jumped into the queue for a Random battle. 8 minutes later, still in the queue.

Eventually the Matchmaker must have given up and set up a game with exactly one ship on each side.

My Hosho vs a Langley.  Carriers at dawn, 30km turn and shoot!

Anyone else had the Matchmaker hand them a 1v1 duel?

Engines full speed ahead for one of the domination points, and to give me some headway to dodge the expected torpedoes. I scrambled my fighters to scout out the enemy carrier, and sent my two strike groups after them.  The fighters found the enemy's planes first of course and the American fighters gleefully pounced on my outnumbered IJN fighters.  I sent the strike fighters around the dogfight and found the enemy carrier.  The fighters finished off the last of my fighters and got to the strike groups in time to panic one of them meaning only 3 of the 8 torpedoes landed, stripping most of the carrier's health, but not putting it down.  I focused back on my carrier in time to see the American TBs laying 6 torpedoes on my port side, oops.  I turn to port, but later than I should have, and still take two torpedoes for half my health, but no flooding.  The dive bombers scream in once they are sure there was no flooding and start a fire which I quickly put out.

Only one TB squadron makes it back to the carrier, so I'm down two groups.  I've got my second flight of fighters airborne now to distract the enemy fighters from my torpedo bombers, and they foolishly engage my fighters above my carrier, it's enough that even though I lose the last of my fighters, the enemy fighter squadron is also wiped out. I get a strike squadron airborne, and send them off to attack the enemy carrier. While they are on the way, the enemy TBs return for another attempt, but I'm paying attention this time and turn into them before they drop and only take one torpedo hit. My second strike squadron gets airborne, but it's not needed, another two torpedo hits on the Langley and it's game over.

As part of larger engagement, losing all of my fighters would be a pre-cursor to losing all my strike aircraft and no longer being able to influence the battle, but in this case, engaging my fighters left my strike craft free to attack the carrier. I think the biggest reason I won this one was the better manoeuvrability of the Hosho, I could dodge torpedoes, the Langley couldn't, if I hadn't been distracted making my first attack on the enemy carrier I would have only taken one hit in the first torpedo strike as well.

It was an interesting exercise, a solo duel, completely different to a normal Random battle, with different priorities and choices.

354 posts
9,048 battles

I've had a number of 1v1 battles in t1/t2 cruisers, but the closest I can come to your contest was a 2v2 battle (cv+ca vs cv+dd) and a few 4v4s with cvs. If it happens again, it could be an idea to set full throttle and lock your rudder hard to port or starboard so you can't be surprised (although if it's 1v1 nothing should be too much of a surprise).

Sign in to follow this