Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LordTyphoon

How to improve solo win rate?

40 comments in this topic

980 posts
12,614 battles

After 6000 solo games, I am disappointed that my solo win rate is a pathetic 53%. 

While it doesn't sound too bad, it means that I only influence the result of the game positively 3 times for each 100 games player. Hardly anything to brag about. 

I can see that there many players with solo win rates between 60% and 70%. How do you do it? How do you exert so much influence in the game by yourself when there are 23 other players who are also trying to make a difference? 

Any advice would be helpful. 

Edited by LordTyphoon

Beta Tester
595 posts
6,652 battles

There definitely aren't many players who have a solo win rate between 60 and 70%.  These people are a tiny fraction of the server.  Most of them either are CV mains (and therefore have a much greater effect on win/loss than other captains due to the broken CV implementation) or very low tier seal clubbers, or both.  The first person who actually plays a BB/CA/DD at mid-high tier has a solo win rate of 64.69%, and you could probably classify this person as 'the best player on the server'.  The next few percent below that person contains only a handful of people.  So getting a 60% or above solo win rate probably puts you well inside the top percentile.

In terms of how to increase your solo win rate, while playing at the mid-high tiers, it's a matter of knowing yourself and knowing the game.  For yourself, you need to know what play style you are most effective using.  In short, what are you good at?  Look at the stats, not just how you feel about each ship.  Focus your play on ships that your play style meshes well with.  Conversely, look at the ships that you do poorly in.  For example you might average 100k per game in the Hindy, but with a 47% win rate (random stats I just made up) - in that situation you clearly aren't having much of an effect on the game, so perhaps that ship isn't for you.

Then there is knowing the game.  There is a lot of information that you need to have in your head ready to draw on.  Armour profiles, gun stats (including things like bounce angles, pen details etc), torp stats, radar and hydro stats, consumable details plus an intimate knowledge of the mechanics of the game like concealment, and AP and HE pen formulas.  This knowledge can often dictate whether you win or lose an engagement.  Then you need to know what wins or loses games, and be able to put yourself in a position to influence that positively for your team.  Awareness is key here, knowing what is around you and having a constantly evolving plan on how and what to engage is important.  You also need to be aware of what your team mates are doing, and use that to influence your play, because you can't win games alone.  If you put yourself in a strong position that has no support, that position is now a poor one, although some ships operate better with little support than others.

Often there are very dangerous areas that people don't like to go (centre caps early in the game for example, or caps with limited access points).  If you win these dangerous areas, you go a long way to winning a game.  You need to take responsibility for the hardest parts of the game, because by taking the easy road you are basically either giving the game to the enemy or letting someone who may not have your ability fight the most important contest in the battle.

Then of course you have to execute, and that means outplaying the enemy in both gunnery and torp tactics, positioning, as well as rapidly changing plans on the fly.

Finally there is attitude.  You need to react well to adversity.  Sometimes you'll stuff up, and your team will lose because of it.  You need to own it, then get over it.  If you get negative or even worse, start tilting, when things don't go well (and sometimes they won't), then this will very negatively affect your ability to do all the things I discussed above, and you'll lose where you may otherwise have won.  Sometimes if you're frustrated and can't get over it, you just need to walk away and come back with a fresh and relaxed mind.

Overall, it's not easy, but this is what makes the game challenging and fun.

Beta Tester
1,166 posts
7,286 battles
5 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

After 6000 solo games, I am disappointed that my solo win rate is a pathetic 53%. 

While it doesn't sound too bad, it means that I only influence the result of the game positively 3 times for each 100 games player. Hardly anything to brag about. 

I can see that there many players with solo win rates between 60% and 70%. How do you do it? How do you exert so much influence in the game by yourself when there are 23 other players who are also trying to make a difference? 

Any advice would be helpful. 

I think you need to focus on your recent win rate. You've played over 6,000 solo battles so all those matches that you played years ago are still being reflected in that overall 53%. It's not a useful indicator of how well you're playing right now.

Besides, 53% isn't bad anyway.

Edited by Unraveler

129 posts
On 30/04/2018 at 11:45 AM, Moggytwo said:

There definitely aren't many players who have a solo win rate between 60 and 70%.  These people are a tiny fraction of the server.  Most of them either are CV mains (and therefore have a much greater effect on win/loss than other captains due to the broken CV implementation) or very low tier seal clubbers, or both. 

(edited)

Spamming, post edited, user sanctioned

~lengxv6

anyone who notice this subliminal message is truly a geniuses with at least 127 IQ

317 posts
10,385 battles

Every player have their own perspective on "win-rate" mech in the game. If u care about win-rate, get urself a div with those u can rely. That's the only way to keep ur win-rate up.

As for myself a casual player right now, win-rate just a "number" for me. All I care right now are to grind more ships, wreck enemy ships in the game & blow things up - and enjoy watch and ruin people's day. It's rank season anyway & more drama will come to ur monitor.

Beta Tester
595 posts
6,652 battles
9 minutes ago, ArchKongou said:

If u care about win-rate, get urself a div with those u can rely. That's the only way to keep ur win-rate up.

The whole point of the thread is to talk about solo win rate.  Div win rate doesn't mean much in terms of skill level of the player, but solo win rate is the best possible indicator given enough games played at reasonable tiers.

317 posts
10,385 battles
Just now, Moggytwo said:

The whole point of the thread is to talk about solo win rate.  Div win rate doesn't mean much in terms of skill level of the player, but solo win rate is the best possible indicator given enough games played at reasonable tiers.

If it's come to that then, may "RNG MM" favor with ur side.

455 posts
8,034 battles
55 minutes ago, ArchKongou said:

If it's come to that then, may "RNG MM" favor with ur side.

RNG MM doesn't matter if you have the skills to occasionally turn around losing games. Only players who lack the ability to carry games will keep blaming rng and bad teams for their subpar winrate. As long as you have that kind of mindset, you will never improve in the game. Its fine if you want to just be a casual player without caring for stats- just don't blame external factors for your own performance

317 posts
10,385 battles
4 minutes ago, Adm_Kunkka said:

RNG MM doesn't matter if you have the skills to occasionally turn around losing games. Only players who lack the ability to carry games will keep blaming rng and bad teams for their subpar winrate. As long as you have that kind of mindset, you will never improve in the game. Its fine if you want to just be a casual player without caring for stats- just don't blame external factors for your own performance

I'm agree somehow I will blame my own "mistake and skill" if I under-performance.

I don't mind to win, but somehow there's a part I want to be useful in my team.  I know it's sound weird but seeing myself in the top on leaderboard rather I'm lose or win makes me satisfying. I hate when I'm see myself under performance although my team win the match. 

Edited by ArchKongou

129 posts
4 hours ago, Adm_Kunkka said:

RNG & MM does matter, this game use psuedo RNG that basically turn everyone into same bad luck.

if there is no RNG, my win rate is already touch 90%.....

tell me if there is solo non-CV unicum with winrate 98% after 5K battle

no matter how afk or TK someone, you cannt reach 5% win  rate after 5K battle

if RNG does not matter, all CV player is basically unstoppable....

if RNG does not matter, I WONT MISS stopped ZAO at 7km with full broadside salvo Bismarck.... 

449 posts
8,029 battles

You have to keep in mind some players with high solo overall WR have re-roll accounts, or as stated before have been clubbing seals. Stat padding is totally a thing.

So just focus on your short term win-rate if that's important to you and don't pay too much attention to the stats of others.

289 posts
4,361 battles

By "solo" you mean random battles, played without being in a division? Well, as you say, 53% isn't bad considering that likely you weren't that good at all the first 2000 games - assuming you started playing WoWS on that account.

If you played at 45% the first 2000 games, it means you are playing at above 60% currently to make a 53% average. And if you aren't seal clubbing but instead playing at T8-10 mostly, 60% there puts you comfortably in the highest-skilled 10% of the player base.

That last statement is a bit of a guess, but I think it is a reasonable one: if less than 20% play top tier, and you are better than average, that automatically puts you in the top 10%. Maybe someone better in statistics can work it out, but I imagine that to have a better than 70% WR at T10 would mean you'd have to be better than 99.99% of the playerbase ...

Anywhere outside of T10 the WR is largely meaningless. I have an ~80% in Emile Bertin currently but I mean, come on, that ship is lethal in even semi-competent hands...

My overal WR is a mediocre 50.33%, but again, I could pad that by playing T4, or I could see it drop further by playing T8. I'll probably keep playing a mix, so it's unlikely to change anytime soon. 

151 posts
3,311 battles
28 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

If you played at 45% the first 2000 games, it means you are playing at above 60% currently to make a 53% average.

Yeah this. I was a total loser for the first 800 odd games with a paltry 41% W/R. I've since pulled it up to about what yours is OP, but after investing a little bit of real money into this game, there's no way I would have an alt account. So long as I'm winning more than I'm losing then it doesn't matter. 

I'm more interested in those who perform exceedingly well in certain ships. I saw a guy recently who had a really high W/R in the Nelson (don't remember exactly what it was, high 60% possibly..), but this person was also averaging well over 80k damage per game (over 100 games). That's something to aspire to. 

289 posts
4,361 battles
17 minutes ago, ArtickWarspite said:

I'm more interested in those who perform exceedingly well in certain ships. I saw a guy recently who had a really high W/R in the Nelson (don't remember exactly what it was, high 60% possibly..), but this person was also averaging well over 80k damage per game (over 100 games). That's something to aspire to. 

I haven't played Nelson I've seen Nelson in play and it really dominates a match, especially in a T5-7 random battle. It's one of those "boss" ships that that you absolutely have to use teamwork to take down, understanding that T5-6 BBs are nearly useless against her. If that cooperation is not forthcoming you get steamrolled.

80k avg. is not that surprising considering that it's a ship usually captained by very skilled players, though it is definitely an accomplishment.

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles

I do not play solo games in SEA (well I do but regular people cannot see those stats and I cannot disclose either), but here's what I noticed from most solo players I met in my wows life...

Disclaimer: This only applies for the average Joes, there are a lot of good solo players out there, and they are not like these:

1. Garbage map awareness. Apart from the good ones, generally solo players lack the capability to observer where they are going, are they with the team, are teammates following him, how many enemy they are going to face, is the flank collapsing or not, are they tagging along a lemming train etc.

2. Solo players only care about personal score. This is a common scenario where you could easily win, but your 2k hp ally open fire on enemy ship for 2k more extra damage and gets killed to make you lose. This is infuriating experience and 90% of the time, its done by a solo player.

3. They don't realize team's need. Sometimes sacrificing own gain for team's win is a must in any team game, but sadly, the pathetic solo players you see everyday will chase after an enemy battleship to farm damage instead of more important things like cap control or cap support etc, follow up with radar invocation, responding to the calls etc.

4. Which comes to the worst thing about solo players, they do not communicate well. In division play, we would constantly keep the div and team updated about rpf location, sighted ship heading and location, who blew dcp, who took torps, who is low hp, ship counts, torp cooldown, enemy ability cooldown, own ability cooldown etc. This is very helpful and helps everyone to decide what should be the next step to take.

5. In short, they don't care enough for most part, especially about winning, as you saw someone posted above, "I don't mind winning" which should be the opposite, "I don't mind losing, but I prefer winning". Apparently he is worried more about getting his name up in the leaderboard over anything else. Solo players tend to be selfish in nature.

I have met @LordTyphoon in my team and I think these aren't problem with him. He is very good player. Although he was busy making jokes about my WR in chat, so I think he took some unnecessary damage. I think the rest comes to timing. There IS a fishing time in SEA server where all the unicum clans go fishing with their VERY FAIR AND TEAMPLAY oriented division. If you can avoid this time window, you can easily shine. Random wins are all about dodging strong teams. If you find a potato enemy team, you can carry your team even if they are potatoes. Oh, and weekends with 200% bonuses. You can always play 2 games later...

Soloing seems a waste of time anyway when there are lot of friends waiting to div up.

Edited by icy_phoenix

273 posts
1,215 battles
43 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Soloing seems a waste of time anyway when there are lot of friends waiting to div up.

I dont have any friends wanna div up with me :cap_book::cap_book:....want to div with me and be my friend?:cap_haloween:

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles
2 minutes ago, Hey_Potato said:

I dont have any friends wanna div up with me :cap_book::cap_book:....want to div with me and be my friend?:cap_haloween:

Ofc, but if I only can manage time to play this game these days :P

Beta Tester
595 posts
6,652 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

There are lots of people who don't have anyone to play with.  Probably isn't a waste of time to them.

but here's what I noticed from most solo players I met in my wows life...

I adjusted your statement for you.  Whether you're divved or not has absolutely zero bearing on your quality as a player, and I've seen plenty of pretty poor players in divs.

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles
41 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

I adjusted your statement for you.  Whether you're divved or not has absolutely zero bearing on your quality as a player, and I've seen plenty of pretty poor players in divs.

You did, no doubt, now don't get offended cause I said something against solo players. You know what I wrote is a fact. Potato divs exist, but the number is nothing compared to potato soloers. You see the amount of threads against weekend players just in forum and discord, and the ranked salts overflow where there are only *solo* players. At least I don't rant here like many others. Just stating what I see.

449 posts
8,029 battles
12 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

You did, no doubt, now don't get offended cause I said something against solo players. You know what I wrote is a fact. Potato divs exist, but the number is nothing compared to potato soloers. You see the amount of threads against weekend players just in forum and discord, and the ranked salts overflow where there are only *solo* players. At least I don't rant here like many others. Just stating what I see.

I don't think it's safe to describe the majority of solo players this way either. I've seen plenty of divisions do exactly all the poor things you've described as well, and have seen plenty of solo players do teamwork better. I think a better characterisation is just the skill level of the players, with many casual players being lower skill. There isn't really anything wrong with not being a serious totally competitive player, and you should expect randoms to have lots of less serious/skilled players as they are by far the larger part of the population. Be thankful for the masses that aren't skilled,  for without a large enough population there would likely not be any warships at all. But lets address the list just for kicks.

1. That's a matter of skill, not whether you play solo or not.

2. That's your opinion. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of solo players who care about winning at all levels of skill.

3. Damage farming is not unique to solo players. Much of what you've described here is a matter of skill and discipline. You have to have map awareness before you can start to see the tactical picture at all.

4. Language barrier is a thing and solo players don't use voice comms. Typing in chat takes time away from playing well. Of course that's not going to be as good as a division on voice comms, you can't expect the general population to communicate as well as you do with your clan mates in division.

5. A sample of one isn't representative of anything. There are plenty of players of all skill levels that care about winning, but even if they don't, they're just as likely to end up on the other team as they are to be on yours.

It's kind of a non-sense to say that anyone _isn't_ playing selfishly. It depends on your goals, if you value WR over everything else, you could be say that pursuing winning aggressively is partly selfish (esp when it results in bad behaviour, not saying you do it, but some do),  Others also have the same goal so it's not so bad. You're just upset that some people have a different goal to you. If you expect others to sacrifice their enjoyment of the game so you can win, I'd say that's selfish.

I'd imagine that making your own matches in trainings rooms, or clan battles (because of a higher barrier to entry) are the only ways to avoid having poor players on your team.

Also if that list has nothing to do with @LordTyphoon then what point does it have in the discussion of how he wants to improve his WR? To me it just sounds kinda salty about players you consider to be less serious about the game than you. We all know randoms are a mixed bag skill wise (you can't do anything about that), and that generally you can't do anything about some loses. Drink a cup of concrete and harden up.

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles
10 hours ago, Sparcie said:

It's kind of a non-sense to say that anyone _isn't_ playing selfishly. It depends on your goals, if you value WR over everything else, you could be say that pursuing winning aggressively is partly selfish (esp when it results in bad behaviour, not saying you do it, but some do),  Others also have the same goal so it's not so bad. You're just upset that some people have a different goal to you. If you expect others to sacrifice their enjoyment of the game so you can win, I'd say that's selfish.

Have to strongly disagree on this part, its a team game, the end goal is to win. I don't see how playing for winning is selfish. Infact, it is the only non-selfish goal in a team game. Oh look, Im in a football game, I like to show my dribbling skills, I don't really care if I can goal and win. Awesome perspective. 11/10.

Also you said "A sample of one isn't representative of anything." I will refer you to the basic study of statistics, your statement is the straight opposite of real definition of a "sample".

"I'd imagine that making your own matches in trainings rooms, or clan battles (because of a higher barrier to entry) are the only ways to avoid having poor players on your team." Also, I never spread toxicity about poor players. Keep your imaginations to yourself. I was only stating what players do. And I didnt say, they are only from my team.

Anyway you replied to my second post without reading the disclaimer in the first post, so I don't think I should really even try to respond.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles

Also, to everyone else who cant really read straight forward posts...

WHY IS MY POST GETTING TIED TO SOLO VS DIVISION PLAYS?

Care to explain which button I pressed in your bodies? The thread is about problems and mistakes made in solo plays. Open a thread about problems and mistakes made in division play and I will give you a fairly long list there too.

Why is it so hard to stay within the context?

Sign in to follow this