Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

USS Pennsylvania (BB-38)

2 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,679 posts

I would have bothered to raid for Nevada but I have this feeling Old Falling Apart Grand Lady of the Fleet needs the love. And its a long time since I badposted

I PRESENT TO YOU USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38)

__pennsylvania_azur_lane_drawn_by_sa_h28085__dda06dd3717b7af01d3efa79014903aa.thumb.png.71afefa09f4318024a427f4524d0be13.png

... not THIS Pennsylvania (not bad, Azur Lane)

__uss_pennsylvania_kantai_collection_original_and_pacific_drawn_by_jeanex__0532260180f1da9783c5dcc68ee6a244.thumb.jpg.340e7aaf52f4ff16064687771181aaef.jpg

... well I can understand Jeanex/November's Pacific (SOMEONE PLEASE GRAB V1-3 OF PACIFIC PLS)

USS_Pennsylvania_1925_SLV_Green.thumb.jpg.db332081ef34977a25ed815433287a56.jpg

THIS Pennsylvania. Well what do you expect for Arizona's big sis?

Apart from the engineering hax that was Nevada, it could be said that the Pennsylvania class were a logical step on how2battleship by the Americans and I must say, for a Standard, she's... well... "plain".  I mean she's a standard dread, appearance wise. Has two more guns than Nevada, also uses the All or Nothing as the Nevada, has the same oil fired engine type as Nevada, uses the same barrel and feed system, if not improved, as Nevada.... she's basically filling what the dread lacked, maybe more.

Pennsylvania has about 14 inches of belt, 3 inches of deck which kinda increased to nearly 6 inches after SURPRISE BOMBSECKS that was Pearl Harbor,  about 15 inches thickness max on the turrets and 16 inches of conning tower. Dakka wise, she had twelve 14 inch guns, an array of 5 inch secondary guns (note that these secondaries are for hot ship to ship action), some lumpy 3 inch guns and submerged torpedo tubes, and had some bits replaced and added like Hotchkiss saluting guns, the torpedo tubes removed because putting submerged torpedo tubes on dreads is a stupid idea later on, and had MOAR AA guns added like Bofors, Oerlikons and a few DP 5 inch guns. The lumpy dread could run at 22 kts flat which was standard for a dread of her type back then but... due to her new oil combustion bit, it was getting rather tedious to run after her with a tanker just to bunker up than coal but hey, TECHNOLOGY HURR. Speaking of tech she also was a recipient of radar hax early on... although in her case, its not the same as the '43 onwards radar where ships go "I know where you are, how big you are, and I can accurately math my guns to where you are" but rather its basically "I know where you are" and honestly, for a venerable dread such as her, its more than enough.

About Pennsy's facelift....

The hyperboloid masts were as she was built with and while there aint anything wrong about the lumpy superstructure, because WNT ratification, they needed to update their ships that were still able and worthy which Pennsy was slated for and replaced her hyperboloid masts with the typical tripod masts which she and her little sister were given.

USS_Pennsy_BB-38_1934.thumb.jpg.8643036d9fd73f8eb03037ba0573a1b1.jpg

As she was in 30's. Note the solid tripod masts.

She got her second facelift which removed the aft mast and gave her a more "proper"-ish dread look:

art-more-volny-korabli-5505.thumb.jpg.d305f9045c81f3ee8de977f0f3d95592.jpg

... that makes her look like a Brit battleship from afar. A Royal Sovereign/Revenge amirite?

After the usual shakedown, she was slated to join as an element of the American fleet operating with the Brits but because of her being newer, she had to stay behind and start training her bits, ranging from sailing and gunnery to outright positional and you could say her tenure was rather... not that uneventful since she was operating as a lumpy battleship, had the occasional overhauls and upguns, sailing as a tub for the Pacific Fleet where she was to sit her sorry hull at Pearl Harbor and finally was slated to be one of the battleships with the new iteration of radar hax which was... for their time.

You already know what happened when the IJN decided to yell out "aloha" to the Americans at the naval base...

5ae46808bf92d_USS_Downes_(DD-375)_USS_Cassin_(DD-372)_and_USS_Pennsylvania_(BB-38)_in_Dry_Dock_No._1-_Pearl_Harbor_Naval_Shipyard_7_December_1941_(306533).thumb.jpg.f8cc0e12691ca7857795014a636c7ea7.jpg

Two destroyers near her got decked bad while she got some hurt herself.

If memory serves, Pennsylvania was one of the responding AA fire when the gun teams were scrambling on the deck to man empty AA guns to start filling the sky with lead and she got hurt when one of her mounts, an AA mount or was it a secondary, blew up from a bomb strike and iono if it was a thing or not, she was also expending rounds to cover Nevada which was trying to run away (the lumpy battleship should have steamed past the stricken battleship row at this point) from the aerial assault in drydock and after some operational checks as well as repairs, went back stateside to a heavy duty shipyard to begin repairs and overhauls.

After a while, she looked like this:

Pennsylvania_class__222a_full.thumb.jpg.cacbeb3bf278828c23eb4e892abce289.jpg

.. on the stages of her refit which gave her some more room to cram in sensors and stuff as well as a place to chuck in more AA guns.

She spent most of her time letting her guns sing at shore bombardment and it wasn't even funny to see the after-effects of her handiwork as she'd pummel the living shit out of the area. She nearly got torpedoed and while she didnt exactly get torped in Pearl, thank god for drydock, what do you think an old yet refitted dread would go on when she was torpedoed? Also was one of the bombardiers standing by for offshore artillery by forward observers and she wasn't with her clumsiness: she collided with a destroyer(?) and a transport once during the hectic maneuvers and she earned one of her nicknames, "Old Falling Apart", when she shelled Guam so intensely and so hard that she was starting to chip off metal and stuff falling about that the men thought she was shooting herself to death from all the ordnance she lobbed, in fact, she would likely be the one to nearly expend her ammo during the pre-landing bombardments than any other so much that any standing hard target, some skub hiding in a cliff face or hardened bunker, would think twice even staying. She started to show her age after some incursions of running back for repairs apart from bunkering and resupply and she was one of the battleships at Leyte who shore teams counted on (I forgot her callsign during Leyte) since a volley from Pennsylvania hitting ground targets can make them unexist and it was during the Leyte operation she got attached to Oldendorf's fleet which had the venerable Ghosts of Pearl Harbor. Sadly... she didn't exactly get to fire since she was behind the line as well as it was rather hard to acquire firing solution in the dark with older equipment and unlike West Virginia which had better gear that zeroed in on Yamashiro earlier which the others used as base point for their own firing solutions, Pennsy was forced to remain silent because firing obstruction AND it was hard trying to zero in the night with her older gear. She got a taste of aerial assault of torpedo bombers after her facelift and had some bit on guns... inherited from Oklahoma.

She broke one of her screws and ran back home limping under one screw until she was decent to fight again... and after the war ended, she was slated for the Atomic Bomb tests to see if a battleship can into surviving nukes. Technically speaking, the battleship survived but the projected crew are boiled alive so there's that... and then Baker test... which kinda ended her as she listed and capsized... but not without railing in eight battle stars to her name... not a bad set for a dread her age.

In-game wise, I expect her to be tier 6 as her sister Arizona albeit her 1943-45 is the final hull with decent rudder shift and turn radius. Her guns ain't stellar but they're enough to whack the crap out of someone and should be feeding the same improved 14 inch shells as New Mexico and Tennessee . The AA suite aboard should be sound enough to be at least Texas level although its likely Pennsy will be a reward ship, same as Shinonome.

Derp.exe is over

Sign in to follow this