You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DeltaMikeBravo

World of Battleships - Random

66 comments in this topic

5 posts
4,469 battles

After 1,500+ plus games win WOWS played in 'Co-op' as a new player (started 3/2018) I moved into 'Random' and 'Space' games. I found acclimatizing to  'Space' games difficult at first, especially in changing your perspective, but am slowly getting it. My problems are with the 'Random' battles which really should be renamed "World of Battleships" as there is never less than five (5) Battleships per game and every one of the enemy ships has 110% gunnery accuracy from any and every distance. It doesn't matter what ship you play, the enemy immediately 'smokes-up' and becomes invisible (as well as having invulnerable force-fields), but smoking up works for all enemy ships regardless of type or tier! I've had some good 'Random' games (when there were only three (3) enemy battleships), but lately, over the last week or so, every game has a minimum five battleships per side rendering all other ships as total 'bit-players'. In one game I played yesterday, the Enemies' entire force retreated to the NW corner, whilst our entire forces retreated to the SE corner. Since we'd capped one more cap, things stayed that way until the game ended and we won a very unexciting game.

I appreciate that WOWS has to use 'Bots' to fill in Random games, but to return some semblance of enjoyment, let's restrict the absolute number of battleships to three (3) or less. In another recent game, both sides had two (2) Aircraft Carriers for a combines aircraft count of over one hundred (100+) planes per side. Needless to say, trying to avoid four (4) enemy Torpedo Bombers in my little Leander proved impossible and the game quickly degenerated to two (2) CV's -v- two (2) CV's. I don't know who won as I'd walked away from this lop-sided farce earlier.

In the interests of fairness and player enjoyability, could we implement some minor changes such as:

1) Absolute maximum of three (3) Battleships per game;

2) Tier matching - one (1) level only +/-; I've found that in the majority of Random games I've played, my ship's Tier is always 'bottom' tier. Having a Tier 6 Cruiser against Tier 8 CV's with 60 aircraft (often, each when two (2) CV's are included) and Tier 8 Battleships, Cruisers and Destroyers makes the games unfairly difficult. I appreciate Player/Ship 'match-making' is difficult for the programmers, but something has to be done and soon, else I'll regretfully walk away and play Eve or Skyrim or whatever and take my money with me.

3) Absolute maximum of one (1) CV per side - facing over one hundred enemy planes is difficult!

Somehow, in Co-Op, Space and 'Campaigns' WOWS have made things difficult, but reasonably fair. Please extend this to 'Random' games and you'll keep a satisfied customer. I'd appreciate other player feedback as well as a response from WOWS!

Rgds,

DeltaMikeBravo

4 posts
2,455 battles

I have played a reasonable number of Co-op, Operations and Random games in the past few months.

The Random games I have been involved with generally have human players on both sides and very few bots.  The 'meta' of Random Games on this server seems to be camping and sniping at long range with battleships.  It doesn't make for enjoyable games in cruisers, and often even in battleships.  

I have had some very enjoyable Random games in battleships, cruisers and destroyers, but I have also had some incredibly dull ones too.

As a result of this gameplay 'meta' more recently I have switched back to Co-op and Operations which I generally find much more enjoyable, and often quite challenging.

312 posts
6,773 battles
35 minutes ago, ArchillesBORP said:

As a result of this gameplay 'meta' more recently I have switched back to Co-op and Operations which I generally find much more enjoyable, and often quite challenging.

I would like the Hard mode to be available. Up the rewards to meet the difficulty.

129 posts

- there is no bot in random battle... its all player...

- you can hide using concealment range, hide behind island, or pop up smoke

- its VERY EASY to always hit your opponent no matter what angle

- EVERYONE want to win in random battle, so expect some lose.

2 hours ago, DeltaMikeBravo said:

After 1,500+ plus games win WOWS played in 'Co-op' as a new player (started 3/2018) I moved into 'Random' and 'Space' games.

LOL, co op is not fun, easy game, low accuracy enemy.... guarantee win.... where is the excitement?

YOU PLAY THE WRONG MODE THIS WHOLE TIME! playing Co OP wont make you improve. 

well, you need to go from the scratch.... private!

2 hours ago, DeltaMikeBravo said:

3) Absolute maximum of one (1) CV per side - facing over one hundred enemy planes is difficult!

well, i will agree there should be only 1 CV each game. so a good CV player will totally wreck enemy without worry about noob CV team.

about BB counter :

- CV (all tier IJN CV, USN CV T4,5,9,10, and all premium CV)

- French CA

- Pan Asia DD : Gadjah Mada, Chung Mu

- Khabarovsk

if you are feel very noob, I SUGGEST TO PLAY CV... 

also remember playing CV need higher spec, both PC and internet. late loading and DC is very disaster.

5 posts
4,469 battles

Thx for the responses... when I initially read up on playing WOWS, one luminary suggested you needed to play 1,500 games to qualify as 'entry-level': hence the 1,500 Co-Op games. I wasn't aware that Co-Op is solely 'bots as the entry screen suggests it's a mix of people players & bots. I realize I'm on a steep learning curve and have tried to invest the money and playing time to begin to improve myself in the game. I still find 'Random' irritating in terms of the number of BB's and CV's and like the idea of 'graded' difficulty levels to help improve the learning curve involved.

To quote AchilesBORP: " The 'meta' of Random Games on this server seems to be camping and sniping at long range with battleships." I tried this approach using my T6 Graf Spee (range = 16 Km.) and T7 Yorck (range = 17.3 km.) with good success, but the gameplay was boring. Attempts to "attack" or in the case of other ships, the necessity to attack because of shorter firing range, just to score some points resulted in rapid deletion. As I noted earlier, I played one entire game where neither side lost a ship or fired a shot and both sides just clustered in opposite corners. Our side 'won' because an enterprising DD capped one cap to their zero caps. Not the most exciting game!

Your collective feedback has brightened me immensely - some things are much clearer now. I don't mind 'losing' - that's a necessary part of learning. I just object to not going down "swinging"!

Thx,

DeltaMikeBravo

158 posts
5,905 battles

Since Coops and Randoms are to completely different mode, things that you learn from fightings bots will not apply to an actual games with players, esp if that particular player know what they're doing.

I would say, try to get yourself used to random battles first. Try getting into a division, a clan or get someone to play with you and comments on your game, it does help. From what I've read, Battleships main battery accuracy is the worst of all classes, if they're hitting you it might due to the cause of making your sailing pattern predictable. Since it does take time and prediction to get your shots to land and still having to deal with dispersions. Have you consider taking evasive actions and make yourself a harder target? Or if you're close to a battleship in a cruiser, then your positioning might be wrong.

This is my only guess, but if the complains are for battleships in this case, could it be that you only play Cruisers or Light Cruisers in randoms? (I don't play CV, and CV rework is coming) Battleships can be countered, try playing different classes to see for yourself might not be a bad idea. Matchmaking improvements are coming. 

One of the good/bad thing here is that, Asia is consider to be the most competitive server of all region. Players will do everything possible to make their chances higher. This included a more passive and safer plays. I think you'll have to get used to this, even in the higher tier games. 

5 posts
4,469 battles

Many thx HeidimarieW for your valued feedback. Based on your limited information, you're highly perceptive and pretty well spot-on. The 'red fog' of battle often gives me tunnel vision and I forget to 'wriggle' and thus become all too predictable! You're right in saying that I have basically played mainly cruisers as I'm slowly branching out into other ship types. I've found destroyers fun to play and average around two (2) kills a game, but usually follow them thereafter. I particularly like German and British cruisers since I can often play them as overgrown DD's and like torpedoing as part of my game style. I'm slowly working with a German BB (Kaiser), but the alpha-strike thrill is short-lived. I'll take on-board all your advice and my thx to all for the feedback.

129 posts
20 minutes ago, HeidimarieW said:

I would say, try to get yourself used to random battles first. Try getting into a division, a clan or get someone to play with you and comments on your game, it does help. From what I've read, Battleships main battery accuracy is the worst of all classes, if they're hitting you it might due to the cause of making your sailing pattern predictable. Since it does take time and prediction to get your shots to land and still having to deal with dispersions.

that is bullsheet, not every BB have bad accuracy... IJN BB is sickly accurate

also remember :

- BB have fastest shell speed.... once you are spotted broadside less than 14km, you are ded

- A SINGLE SHELL HIT THE CITADEL WILL CAUSE MASSIVE DAMAGE,

- a 3 normal pen damage is equal for citadel hits, a 6 overpen is equal to citadel hits

- BB can citadel CA often no matter what angle....

the best way to mitigate BB strike in CA/CL is to KEEP CONCEAL, 16km farther, or invisfiring by the smoke or island. 

# always GET PRIORITY TARGET, once there is 2 or more aim at you, keep conceal

# get concealment expert... and use concealment upgrade 

# if you fire a shell, detection range increase by equal of firing range, make you spotted.....once you stop firing for 20, the concealment level will lower as base. PRESS H in battle or see module to check the concealment value

14 minutes ago, DeltaMikeBravo said:

I particularly like German and British cruisers since I can often play them as overgrown DD's 

GERMAN CA struggle againts BB because shitty HE, low damage and low fire chance

BRITISH CL IS TOTALLY GERBAGE AGAINTS BB.... 152mm AP SHELL??

USN CA is total trash and hard to use. also since you got radar, EVERYONE WILL TRY TO KILL YOU!

the good BB counter is French CA or RUSSIAN CA, long range HE spam.... but i recommend french CA because BB willhave hard time hitting you because speed boost. the ugly ship of french is la glass and algerie..... the rest of french ship is god especially emil bertin.

IJN is somewhat good, but i am afraid its harder because short range.

DD is not BB counter.... its CV....the IJN CV is better except for T4/T9/T10

5 posts
4,469 battles

Again, I'm taking all this advice on-board and genuinely appreciate people taking the time to help me in my learning curve. I guess the WOWS members are part of a 'club' and am impressed that my single comment has elicited such good responses. Thx!

129 posts
13 minutes ago, DeltaMikeBravo said:

Again, I'm taking all this advice on-board and genuinely appreciate people taking the time to help me in my learning curve. I guess the WOWS members are part of a 'club' and am impressed that my single comment has elicited such good responses. Thx!

this is my advice, dont believe 100% of what people said (that is include me). see it yourself and find your own path.

people have their own preference, and its not always suit for you.

Super Tester
1,256 posts
18 minutes ago, Balzarknam said:

this is my advice, dont believe 100% of what people said (that is include me). see it yourself and find your own path.

people have their own preference, and its not always suit for you.

Shark, please stop posting.....

Your advice is about as much use as a one legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen lake.......

Edited by LtDan_IceCream

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles

If you are a new player with very low service record, you will find bots in your matches because you are within protected MM environment and because of very low number of new players, slots are often filled with bots. 

Oh wait, that's Sharkbait's alt?

45 minutes ago, Balzarknam said:

BRITISH CL IS TOTALLY GERBAGE AGAINTS BB.... 152mm AP SHELL??

Comeon, do you even play UK CLs.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles
5 hours ago, DeltaMikeBravo said:

In the interests of fairness and player enjoyability, could we implement some minor changes such as:

2) Tier matching - one (1) level only +/-; I've found that in the majority of Random games I've played, my ship's Tier is always 'bottom' tier. Having a Tier 6 Cruiser against Tier 8 CV's with 60 aircraft (often, each when two (2) CV's are included) and Tier 8 Battleships, Cruisers and Destroyers makes the games unfairly difficult. I appreciate Player/Ship 'match-making' is difficult for the programmers, but something has to be done and soon, else I'll regretfully walk away and play Eve or Skyrim or whatever and take my money with me.

This isn't really possible to achieve in my opinion. You cannot dictate on what people want to play. If 90% players want to play BB in a given time, due to lack of sufficient amount of other classes, some will be stuck in MM queue forever, which isn't an acceptable solution.

129 posts
14 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

If you are a new player with very low service record, you will find bots in your matches because you are within protected MM environment and because of very low number of new players, slots are often filled with bots. 

Oh wait, that's Sharkbait's alt?

Comeon, do you even play UK CLs.

i am giving up the leander.... what the heeeeel is that sheep?

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles
1 minute ago, Balzarknam said:

i am giving up the leander.... what the heeeeel is that sheep?

Leander is one of the strongest T6 cruiser. Well, after Cleveland gets removed from T6, Leander will be THE strongest T6 cruiser. If you can't make it work, that means you are playing it WRONG and needs to watch some videos and tutorials before you talk shit about one of the best ships in the tech tree tier for tier.

129 posts
1 minute ago, icy_phoenix said:

Leander is one of the strongest T6 cruiser. Well, after Cleveland gets removed from T6, Leander will be THE strongest T6 cruiser. If you can't make it work, that means you are playing it WRONG and needs to watch some videos and tutorials before you talk shit about one of the best ships in the tech tree tier for tier.

just how??? are you talking about hide inside the smoke and phew-phew AP??

if Cleveland moved to T8, the god of T6 is Nurnberg....  16.5km, 360 dual turret range.... 3x3 guns, 6 sec reload. and its AP alpha is bigger. and German HE.....

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ANTI BB WEAPON. what will you do with 152mm AP, 13km..... and smoke?  8km Torp??

UPLOAD a video that you play Leander that contain 4~5 BB. just deal 50K damage  to BB..... i am waiting :V

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles
5 minutes ago, Balzarknam said:

if Cleveland moved to T8, the god of T6 is Nurnberg....  16.5km, 360 dual turret range.... 3x3 guns, 6 sec reload. and its AP alpha is bigger. and German HE.....

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ANTI BB WEAPON. what will you do with 152mm AP, 13km..... and smoke?  8km Torp??

UPLOAD a video that you play Leander that contain 4~5 BB. just deal 50K damage  to BB..... i am waiting :V

I like challenges, but if you check my stats, my average on Leander is already around 60k. Don't you think 50k will be too easy for me?

[LNA]
1,619 posts
10,247 battles
7 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

I like challenges, but if you check my stats, my average on Leander is already around 60k. Don't you think 50k will be too easy for me?

I dont think leander get uptiered as well as other cruisers that have access to HE and can cripple higher tier ships effectively.  Inside its tier its very good,  just lacking in the dpm department

129 posts
1 minute ago, icy_phoenix said:

50K only to BB, if you did 100K damage but only 20K damage to BB that doesnt count. and the amount of BB in battle should be 4~5. and to make it more interesting, you have only 15~24 hours from now, because i will go offline for another week again.

and if you did 50K damage to BB with only with main gun, i will admit Leander is the best T6 Cruiser after Cleveland.

so here is your task mission :

Ship : leander

Main Task :

~ deal 50K damage to BB in single battle

~ Deadline 22/apr/2018 at 18.00 Singapore/Bangkok/Jakarta Time (24 hours from now)

~ post the video on youtube :V

Secondary Task :

~ deal 50K damage to BB only with main gun

~ Sink T8 BB with main gun and at least deal 10K damage

~ no premium consummable

THIS CHALLENGE IS OPEN FOR EVERYONE!!!!

good luck kamerad, HAIL MEOW PURFURST!

455 posts
8,034 battles
9 minutes ago, Balzarknam said:

even the minotaur has 152 mm ap against better armored BBs, and even then a mino can deal heavy damage to a BB. Leander is pretty damn strong. I think you overvalue gun caliber and overlook the sheer dpm of the 152 mm guns. Heres my leander stats. The win rate is bad but its just over 8 games so doesnt really matter
image.thumb.png.4ae28cf4120724e15e6a63ee79a12b17.png

If you cant even deal 50k damage in this ship, blame yourself rather than the ship. Also, heres something to show you how much damage 152mm ap can do to BB:
shot-18_04.16_11_35.36-0964.thumb.jpg.cd7bd91e626d115944fbf4f179ababd6.jpg

60 K to a single montana with just guns. Leander can do the same kind of damage to a BB although slower.

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles
9 minutes ago, Balzarknam said:

THIS CHALLENGE IS OPEN FOR EVERYONE!!!!

good luck kamerad, HAIL MEOW PURFURST!

You forgot to mention the rewards, can I get an Alabama if I win?

7 minutes ago, Adm_Kunkka said:

Also, heres something to show you how much damage 152mm ap can do to BB

152mm AP cant do shit he said.... 

BaBBies.jpg.3c244f82216dfee9ae216ae6a4e1ee18.jpg

152mm UK AP can do more damage than the BaBBies have.... :LUL:

114 posts
3,889 battles
1 hour ago, Balzarknam said:

USN CA is total trash and hard to use. also since you got radar, EVERYONE WILL TRY TO KILL YOU!

Hahahahaha Desmoines Hahahahahaha Balti Hahahahahaha trash 

129 posts
2 minutes ago, Adm_Kunkka said:

60 K to a single montana with just guns. Leander can do the same kind of damage to a BB although slower.

Leander is not Minotaur. memetaur got 16km range, faster reload, AND HEAVIER SHELL. it did same 152mm but different pen rate. and if some sheep got close, 4x4 torp 10km is incoming!

and my point is not only the 152mm AP..... its the 13km range.

7 minutes ago, Adm_Kunkka said:

I give you counter mission

Objective 1: GET GOOD AND STOP BLAMING A SHIP FOR YOUR OWN INCAPABILITY

sorry, but i am only pick strongest sheep to fill the gap for my noobness. Nurnberg is better sheep than Leander now.

thats is why i always tell CV is the master race, cause is the strongest!

0227-011.png

5 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

152mm UK AP can do more damage than the BaBBies have.... :LUL:

yeps, do it in leander now and make the video! what are you waiting for?

GO GO GO LEANDER!!!

2 minutes ago, Exiaa said:

Hahahahaha Desmoines Hahahahahaha Balti Hahahahahaha trash 

Omaha, Coca-cola and New Orlean say hi. and everyone always target Des Meme. My Algerie Beat Baltimore head to Head.

and its strength is its own fatal weakness.... if desmeme spotted and no one shot it, its only mean noob team.

i wonder if that really easy..... :V 50K damage to BB with only main gun IN LEANDER

455 posts
8,034 battles
6 minutes ago, Balzarknam said:

Omaha, Coca-cola and New Orlean say hi.

image.thumb.png.ce1246fcb5bc8c2ff636f954a8eb694c.png

Do tell me how bad omaha, pensacola and New Orleans are. Because I just dont seem to be able to do any damage or win games. These ships are so bad right?

8 minutes ago, Balzarknam said:

i wonder if that really easy..... :V 50K damage to BB with only main gun IN LEANDER

Yes its really damn easy for anyone with even a tiny bit of skill. unfortunately I'm not inclined to spend credits or 20 mins of time to buy back leander just to show you how stupid you are.