Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bengal_Tiger23

Fire Prevention Skill for BB Commander - Worth it?

29 comments in this topic

232 posts
1,886 battles

Hi Guys.

We seem to be getting close now to a "Free re-distribution" of Commander Skills. I'm just interested in whether those of you who have used/using this skill have found it worthwhile.

As a BB player I am finding it rather frustrating  with the amount of times I am being set on fire. Even the bots in Co-OP and Operations are spamming HE like it is going out of style. Even with the Superintendent Skill installed it is very difficult to keep up with the multiple fires being set. 

Any observations you have on this skill would be very much appreciated.

Alex

B_T23

1,140 posts

to me, worth it.

I even  take it before concealment

fire suppose to be only 'additional' damage but now it major source damage so... I'll take everything it take to reduce it. (skill+upgrade+flag etc)

as a BB, being shot by 100 of shell to dead is fine, but being slowly burn to dead is not fun =w=

Edited by PGM991

156 posts
4,055 battles

I find it useful and run it on my IJN BB's and prioritize it over concealment. Same RN BB's but I take it after concealment. For US BB's AFT + concealment is the first priority. For Germans its a tough choice as you need to decide between secondary build and tanky build based on your play style. 

Fire prevention combined with basics of survivability and fire duration reduction flag really helps you survive long.

1,140 posts

come to think of it... we don't have any fire resistance camo yet right? 

wish WG implement one...

I mean we already have flag that somehow reduce fire, fire resistance camo shouldn't be any obvious.

Edited by PGM991

156 posts
4,055 battles
26 minutes ago, PGM991 said:

come to think of it... we don't have any fire resistance camo yet right? 

wish WG implement one...

I mean we already have flag that somehow reduce fire, fire resistance camo shouldn't be any obvious.

WG is yet to design camo for specific ship types. All camo till now are generic for any ship kind. 

183 posts
3,790 battles

It's worth it just for the reduction of a fire zone alone. With that, I can basically ignore 2 fires on high tier BBs since realistically, you'll only have 2 zones on fire if you are angled properly with the FP perk.

156 posts
4,055 battles

21 minutes ago, DonnerSushi said:

It's worth it just for the reduction of a fire zone alone. With that, I can basically ignore 2 fires on high tier BBs since realistically, you'll only have 2 zones on fire if you are angled properly with the FP perk.

There is also a 5% (or similar) reduced chance of other people setting you on fire. Not sure how effective that is or how that works though. Maybe, the game subtracts the 5% from the fire chance number of the ship shooting at you? 

702 posts
7,550 battles

For type of BBs which better played stationary like the yamato, where you seldom turn your whole side and relocate, Fire prevention is very very useful. In fact, if it's not a 4 points skill, I might as well put it on all BBs I have.

however due to priorities in other aspects of BBs, I dont use FP in German/US BBs as I want to strengthen their secondaries/AA respectively

[HMASW]
1,559 posts

I never use those commander skills, I would rather use the points on adrenaline rush, aft & bft & concealment.... Because everyone likes to be lazy these days & spam HE in battleships, I say if I'm gonna burn then I'll burn.... But at least I'm doing lots of damage....

Ordrazz

1,397 posts
9,123 battles

It is a very good skill, especially on BBs that have an immobile bow-tanking playstyle like the Yamato and Musashi.

Though personally I prefer to take other skills for other BBs, like for my USN BBs I run Concealment and AA while my German BBs run Secondaries.

High tier British BBs don't need it because they get the crazy heal and I would prioritise CE on them anyway. Not sure about the French.

It depends on your playstyle too.

232 posts
1,886 battles

Hi Guys

Firstly. Thank you everyone for your feedback on this subject. I hope the fact that I had to hit the "Cool Button" for all of you will show how much I appreciate what you have all contributed.

This now means that I have a plan of action at the coming redistribution. By the end of this weekend I will have 3 x 19 point dedicated BB commanders. (UK, US and German). So, I will have no hesitation in using this skill with the UK Commander. The German Commander I will put a little bit more thought into. The US commander, it looks like I will spend that  4 points on CE.

Actually my experience in the current Op of The Week with the US commander, (Yes, he is just shy of 19 skill points), is what actually generated the original Question. You see, I really do like to get in close and brawl with my BB's. Op's does tend at times to offer scope for such a situation. I was very surprised to find the Arizona being set on fire as often as it is in this op.--Lol with me driving.:Smile_facepalm:. True I had come to expect it with Warspite, but she takes a lot of "Red's" with her. Anyway, temporarily , I shall use the 4 uncommitted  US skill points I have available to see how the fire prevention skill works out. Certainly I will be changing to a secondary Module Upgrade for Arizona. 

My thoughts on what is happening with the current HE spam issue I will keep for another thread, maybe.  Suffice to say, I see it as a real problem for the game.

With many thanks.

Alex

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

702 posts
7,550 battles

excuse me for adding on again,

Just a reminder that for tier 6 and below the captain skill "manual secondaries" is not as good, because the reduction of dispersion is by... 15%? while tier 7 and above will be 60%

25 minutes ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Certainly I will be changing to a secondary build for Arizona. 

232 posts
1,886 battles

Sorry Darkworld. My Bad. I am not going for manual secondary's, just secondary upgrade. 

Actually thank you. I might edit my post and make that clear.

Alex

Beta Tester
630 posts
6,927 battles
14 hours ago, Anger_Lehner said:

There is also a 5% (or similar) reduced chance of other people setting you on fire. Not sure how effective that is or how that works though. Maybe, the game subtracts the 5% from the fire chance number of the ship shooting at you? 

It's 10% fire reduction, and it's multiplicative. So whatever your normal chance of being set on fire is, you multiply it by 0.9 to get your new fire chance.

I never use those commander skills, I would rather use the points on adrenaline rush, aft & bft & concealment.... Because everyone likes to be lazy these days & spam HE in battleships, I say if I'm gonna burn then I'll burn.... But at least I'm doing lots of damage....

Ordrazz

You do a lot more damage when you're alive, which you would be if you had taken all the fire prevention skills.

129 posts

remember buddy, not every bb ship is suitable with fire prevention. sometimes Concealment expert is more usefull :v

ship with fire resist stern and bow will benefit from this, but if a BB stern or bow got easily burn.... well.... 

i have did several calculation and try it. after a lot of reset, i have conclusion for bb tanky build priority :

1. superintended > +1 repair party

2. basic of survivability > -15% fire duration (around 9 sec, but stack multiplicative)

3. concealment > if you get FOCUSED FIRE then got few burned, run ... conceal...and DCP.....keep conceal until DCP cooldown atleast  less than 30 sec

4. fire prevention

optional (i never took it lel)

5. jack of trade

6. high alert

concealment is the best way to prevent getting killed by fire....

also always bring premium REPAIR PARTY!, HEAL !!!

Beta Tester
630 posts
6,927 battles
28 minutes ago, Balzarknam said:

remember buddy, not every bb ship is suitable with fire prevention. sometimes Concealment expert is more useful

You're absolutely right, I was just assuming everyone would take concealment expert with their 10 pt skill.  You then take FP at 14pts. 

Super Tester
7,780 posts
8,043 battles

FP is part of my core BB build as well. Cruisers will melt you if you don't have defense against it.

While full secondary build and full AA build are often quite fun, full survivability build is still the most effective one. Especially in SEA server.

This includes CE, FP, BoS and possibly JoAT. In addition to dcp upgrades 1 and 2, and signal flags, cruisers will have a hard time burning you down.

232 posts
1,886 battles
On 4/8/2018 at 7:09 AM, icy_phoenix said:

FP is part of my core BB build as well. Cruisers will melt you if you don't have defense against it.

While full secondary build and full AA build are often quite fun, full survivability build is still the most effective one. Especially in SEA server.

This includes CE, FP, BoS and possibly JoAT. In addition to dcp upgrades 1 and 2, and signal flags, cruisers will have a hard time burning you down.

Hi icy.

Was hoping you would call by on this one.

You know guy's, my thoughts about this have been a bit colored by the effect of He in Op's in the current cycle. Well having some down time due too illness. (Pls don't ask). I have been thinking that I could over react with the redistribution. Certainly I will change to FP and I will lose Superintendent and IFA. With the addition of damage control II, I can make up for not having Superintendent. BTW, This is just for the British BB's. KM and USN Will be another matter.

The HE problem was not so bad in the first cycle of Op's. it was actually manageable. But still a pain.

Of course once I start to get involved more in Random battles, the above will probably change close to icy's setup.

A slightly humorous aside:- I equipped my US Co with FP while I was in the Arizona. Worked well. Took The Mighty Mo for a drive in Co-Op with this Co last night. You guessed it. Set on fire. That'll teach me for getting to close to a Zao. :Smile_facepalm:

Cheer's

Alex 

B_T23

1,110 posts
7,850 battles

Its considered one of the best point spent for what it do. it will always usefull and not situational pick

however while its one of the best pick for min-maxing, its a boring pick

156 posts
4,055 battles
On 4/8/2018 at 2:39 AM, icy_phoenix said:

Believe me RN BBs breathe out more fire then any cruiser on earth.  Honestly i have started specking FP more so after RN BBs were released. 

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,703 battles

Standard BB build (not AA spec)

PT or PM, EM + AR, BoS + SI, CE + FP

The order you get them in is up to you, I usually go FP prior to CE.

It can be worth swapping out for BFT with AA BBs (USN) and with T7+ KM BBs a full secondary spec is a common choice too (BFT/AFT/Manual Secondaries).

The standard BB build works on pretty much all BBs and definitely run premium repair and heal (resupply with credits not doubloons).

Sign in to follow this