Sign in to follow this  
IronKabayo

New player looking for tips

14 comments in this topic

2 posts
69 battles

As the title says, I'm a new player and am looking for tips i.e what nation to go for when it comes to cruisers, battleships, destroyers and carriers.

So far I've enjoyed playing the USN battleship and got up to tier 4. Now I'm looking at the USN carrier 'Langley' and am quite interested in trying it out. However, I am wondering if I do decide to go down the carrier line should I go grind the IJN line? I have compared both tier 4 carriers on their wiki and have seen the difference. What I am looking for tho is more of a personal experience or opinion of fellow players from this forum.

Super Tester
7,740 posts
8,031 battles

Carriers: There's a bit of juggling between nations.

T4 - T5: Nation - USN

T6: Nation - IJN

T7 - T8: Nation - Premium :P Ya, the premium CVs on these two tiers are so broken that you will regret playing CVs if you don't own those. (For tech tree, still IJN).

T9 - T10: Nation - USN (Although there's been a dev blog about Midway's possible nerfs).

Battleships: USN and IJN are the two original lines and well balanced. The newer nations are either subper or broken, no concept of balanced what so ever. Go UK, they are by far the easiest BB lines. USN BBs require a bit higher skill floor.

Destroyers: USN DDs are the easiest. They basically teach you concealment gunboat concept. Go VMF if you don't actually like DDs and want to play fast gunboats who doesn't care about cap contesting, rather burn everything down with their pew pew guns.

Cruisers: Again, all low tier cruisers are kinda balanced. IMO, UK and US cruisers require a bit more skills. IJN, MN, VMF cruisers are usually the easier ones for starter.

28 posts
790 battles

Not strictly on topic, but as a BB driver, DON'T repair a fire. Your repair should be saved for more serious things. Do it, but only if you are sure you are safe. Two fires? Yeah, do that.

Today I was playing a G-101 (Tier III German destroyer) and I shot at a Myogi. (Tier IV Japanese BB) I set him on fire. This Myogi repairs the fire, and sails in a straight line, so I hit him with torpedoes and half his health is gone. While I'm off doing something, he is flooding and losing HP quickly, waiting for his damage repair to become available. I killed him, from full health, and if he had have just changed course after seeing a destroyer, and let that fire burn itself out, he would not have died to me.

And I saw a Nassau (German Tier 3 BB) and I launch one torpedo, I am trying to get close to launch the rest. He's on full health, and he kills me. But that stray torpedo hits him, and because he was repairing a fire, guess who took 18,000 flood damage?

Seriously, if you see a destroyer or cruiser charge at you, and suddenly turn, 100% he launched torpedoes. Evade them. This stuff is really helpful, just turn a little bit, often. Makes a destroyer's job way harder.

Super Tester
7,740 posts
8,031 battles
2 hours ago, BristolBrick said:

Seriously, if you see a destroyer or cruiser charge at you, and suddenly turn, 100% he launched torpedoes. Evade them.

Something good destroyer players never do ;) I haven't really played low tier matches much, but in general, when you are driving BB, just change speed and course  ever so slightly between each salvo. Predicting enemy DD positioning and incoming torpedoes are a key factor and can only be mastered via experience.

28 posts
790 battles
6 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Something good destroyer players never do ;) I haven't really played low tier matches much, but in general, when you are driving BB, just change speed and course  ever so slightly between each salvo. Predicting enemy DD positioning and incoming torpedoes are a key factor and can only be mastered via experience.

Yes but most destroyers do exactly that.

Thanks for the tip, I do change course a bit, but never thought of changing speed.

A lot of BB captains I saw don't turn, even when they see a destroyer 5 km away. What do they think destroyers do? Just go around, being miniature cruisers and gun-boating?

Super Tester
7,740 posts
8,031 battles
4 hours ago, BristolBrick said:

A lot of BB captains I saw don't turn, even when they see a destroyer 5 km away. What do they think destroyers do? Just go around, being miniature cruisers and gun-boating?

What you are saying may be true in low tiers, at mid / high tiers, you will be lucky to see BB players anywhere close to cap zones.

All I'm saying is, do not take chance based on what bad players do. Like the game you mentioned, you got killed in a DD. That's not a good thing. Yes, may be you ended up killing him, but that was a "trade", not a clear "win".

Just keep "trading" as last resort.

28 posts
790 battles
12 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

What you are saying may be true in low tiers, at mid / high tiers, you will be lucky to see BB players anywhere close to cap zones.

All I'm saying is, do not take chance based on what bad players do. Like the game you mentioned, you got killed in a DD. That's not a good thing. Yes, may be you ended up killing him, but that was a "trade", not a clear "win".

Just keep "trading" as last resort.

Never said it was a win when I charged a Nassau, I was saying that Nassau messed up and took a lot of unnessecary damage. The event with the Myogi was a different game, and I did die in that, after torpedoeing a destroyer, a cruiser charging at me, and then a charging Clemson and I rammed, we were both turning away but too late. It was a fun time, since all that happened within 3 minutes.

1,546 posts
1 hour ago, BristolBrick said:

Never said it was a win when I charged a Nassau, I was saying that Nassau messed up and took a lot of unnessecary damage. The event with the Myogi was a different game, and I did die in that, after torpedoeing a destroyer, a cruiser charging at me, and then a charging Clemson and I rammed, we were both turning away but too late. It was a fun time, since all that happened within 3 minutes.

I love battles like that, its the reason I love playing lower tiers :Smile_child:

Ordrazz

Sign in to follow this