You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bengal_Tiger23

Defense of Naval station Newport -- Has something changed?

20 comments in this topic

226 posts
1,866 battles

Hi guys, 

Has anyone notice the "Newport op." seems much harder? Or is it just me?

There seem to be many more reds than the last time I played it. And they are coming at you from multiple directions all at the same time. 

It seems impossible to cover all of the approaching reds and you just get over run.

Alex 

B_T23

354 posts
9,048 battles

I did it a couple of times today and can't say I noticed any differences. It does make it harder if people persist in trying it in dds; cvs aren't much better either. A good mix is 3 bbs plus 4 cas; stay close to the border of the harbour, focus on the nearest enemy and it's usually good for 5 stars.

226 posts
1,866 battles
8 minutes ago, Moldavia said:

I did it a couple of times today and can't say I noticed any differences. It does make it harder if people persist in trying it in dds; cvs aren't much better either. A good mix is 3 bbs plus 4 cas; stay close to the border of the harbour, focus on the nearest enemy and it's usually good for 5 stars.

That is exactly what I am doing. (No choice in Arizona & Warspite.) My team mates are pretty much sticking to that as well.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
975 posts
5,733 battles

Yep BB's are hiding behind what they are meant to defend. my Normandy has been run ragged trying to fill holes in the line left by the BB's sitting with the repair ships :Smile_facepalm:

I might always be top of the list ever game for xp, but what is the point when you are only getting 1-2 stars (luck to make 1k base xp with that)

Edited by BigWaveSurfer

226 posts
1,866 battles
On 3/30/2018 at 12:03 AM, keskparane said:

I think you will find the caliber of the average player in scenarios has ahem "changed"

Well, you could be correct about this. I have noticed that some players do seem too be "Feeling their way" in this op.

One player in game chat asked "My first time at this. Can you help?" Don't get me wrong, he did ok. In fact I have been kicking myself that I did not contact him after the game to direct him to some videos and this forum. :Smile_facepalm:

I am also wondering if many of our more experienced players are having a go at "Space Battles" and not doing this op for the time being. (Lol. Come back, we need you.)

If WG have made a slight change, the above may be why it seems  quite ---- err different.

Still. A bit frustrated with all the losses though.

Alex

B_T23

1,078 posts
3,884 battles

Just played a match,it may been been adjusted slightly.But been a while since I played it so not sure.I find this to be one of the harder ops to do well in as you need decent team work, and as you say you need to be able to cover the rights approaches at the right time to win it.

This and Killer Whale I find not as enjoyable as the other ops, usually only play them once or twice when they come up then go back to PvE.

Have been doing space battles,will probably do a few more unless the general gameplay gets as bad as it does in PvP!

283 posts
3,667 battles

Well, I found the mission the hardest to 5 stars and now it's being made harder?! Just leave the missions alone WG, focus on the CV reboot:Smile_izmena:

55 posts
5,641 battles
On 3/29/2018 at 9:19 PM, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Hi guys, 

Has anyone notice the "Newport op." seems much harder? Or is it just me?

There seem to be many more reds than the last time I played it. And they are coming at you from multiple directions all at the same time. 

It seems impossible to cover all of the approaching reds and you just get over run.

Alex 

B_T23

I'm pretty sure the number of ships is the same, but it feels as though they're maybe traveling a nautical-smidgen faster (very technical naval term) and maybe firing quicker as well (all arms: aricraft, guns and torps)? 

I've played quite a few games and in the vast majority of cases the reds are crossing the base line and starting an early attack wave. 

In terms of player performance, so many are pushing forward too far, which predictably results in the DDs getting slaughtered and the BBs getting over-whelmed.

Then, in the game I just played I started calling out directions (I've previously held back, considering myself too junior in the game) and team players clearly attempted to respond. So perhaps we've simply forgotten that this instance requires us to makes less assumptions and to appreciate the need to talk and work more actively and overtly together to get the job done? 

Thinks: perhaps this is what's intended - to force us to actually work together as teams. Such an out-landish notion!? :Smile_amazed:

[CIRS]
1,198 posts
10,508 battles

AFAIK,Ultimate Frontier got hardened:You need have 3 Forts survive instead of 2.

Hermes also hardened,Stuka's bomb drops with no delay(previously 4s delay).

Naval Station,Aegis and killer whale seem receive no change.

534 posts
8 hours ago, User_1145141919810 said:

AFAIK,Ultimate Frontier got hardened:You need have 3 Forts survive instead of 2.

Hermes also hardened,Stuka's bomb drops with no delay(previously 4s delay).

Naval Station,Aegis and killer whale seem receive no change.

RIP operation exp grinder 

[LBAS]
4,572 posts
25,972 battles
On 3/30/2018 at 5:30 AM, BigWaveSurfer said:

Yep BB's are hiding behind what they are meant to defend. my Normandy has been run ragged trying to fill holes in the line left by the BB's sitting with the repair ships :Smile_facepalm:

oh noo not me

shot-18.04.01_19.25.17-0803.jpg

shot-18.04.01_19.25.13-0493.jpg

226 posts
1,866 battles

You know, at the start of each game we get a nice screen which gives us a little bit of information:-

Team consist. Who your team mates are and the types  of ships in your team.

Mission. Where your ship will be at the start of the battle and team distribution.

Then if one cares to look at the bottom of the page, it will say, oh I dunno, something like. "Scenario: Hard difficulty". :cap_wander::Smile_facepalm:

"Well, you are supposed too read what is on the screen" . Oh, that is unique idea. Doh!

Jokes aside. It would appear that this mission is by default  "Hard Difficulty" not "Normal Difficulty". This lead's me too wonder if all the "Operations of the week" in this cycle will be Hard by default. As I understood it, Hard was only available to divisions in non-operation of the week ops. If so, it is going to be pretty difficult if you are not in a "Team division" where you can plan your tactics in advance and have all team mates on the same wavelength. 

Having played this op earlier in the previous cycle, having the difficulty level at hard is not such a pain as I,  and others, have a pretty good idea of what is required. But for the Newbies among  us (yes, I still consider myself a Newbie)  plus the language difficulty it is going too be a bit of a pain to get organised during the battle.

Anyways, not to worry, still going to have fun in ops.

So its "Splice the main Brace" "Hard a Larboard Mr Bush" "Fire as your Gun's Bare Mr Gerrard" ---- Oops. Sorry. Have been watching Captain Horatio Hornblower again. :cap_popcorn:

Alex

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

354 posts
13,212 battles

I just wish they would reset the rewards or at least some of them on each rotation. Besides the fun factor of blowing stuff up not much incentive to continue playing scenarios.

76 posts
6,344 battles

I think it has got a bit harder. Not too difficult if you play in a Division, but not easy as a 'loner'.

Part of the secret I found was to get the DDs to set up a smokescreen early, and sit behind it in a CA and take pops at the first wave of enemy DDs, CAs, and the BB. But you can only do this as a team.

I've tried suggesting tactics as a 'loner', but nobody takes any notice of me (I guess cos I'm an obvious 'potato'!) :Smile_sad:

[SGC]
197 posts
10,385 battles

Funny considering Newport is a pretty easy operation.

Just camp during the entire operation, hold the lines, and win.

The one operation that REQUIRES PEOPLE TO CAMP, but instead they rush towards the enemy fleets, overextend and die less than halfway through the operation.

Edited by seiji09