You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Brettr

Do Commanders Remember Old Ships?

24 comments in this topic

[HMASW]
34 posts

The Wiki doesn't mention this situation. If I move a commander from eg my Kagero T8, back to Fubuki T6 which he commanded before, will he have to retrain on the Fubuki? FYI, his name is Keisuke Inokashira.

Thanks

273 posts
1,235 battles

yes...retrain is required. you can click on the assign to then select the ship you want. Then you will see that retraining is required and the xp required to retrain. remember DO NOT click "Yes"

[HMASW]
34 posts
15 minutes ago, Hey_Potato said:

yes...retrain is required. you can click on the assign to then select the ship you want. Then you will see that retraining is required and the xp required to retrain. remember DO NOT click "Yes"

Thanks, yes I can see he will need 250,000XP to retrain (on a $#@$&! ship that he already trained on).

1,135 posts

no, He'll completely forget everything about his old ship

if you switch commander back and forth between normal ship, retraining is require every time

except! premium ship

I know it doesn't make sense but it's a way of WG making money

411 posts
6,218 battles
1 hour ago, PGM991 said:

I know it doesn't make sense but it's a way of WG making money

Well, after you go through the pain of training one captain to 19 pt, the issue with retraining goes away entirely...Elite xp earning is very easy and you won't be facing any penalty doing that...In fact, it is wiser to complete retraining with elite xp before even taking the new ship to action IMO:Smile_great:

1,050 posts
7,717 battles
8 hours ago, Brettr said:

Thanks, yes I can see he will need 250,000XP to retrain (on a $#@$&! ship that he already trained on).

I guess you have always moved your captain up? I’m surprised you have reached T8 and not figured out how that works, being upset doesn’t change the rules.

Captains have to retrain after you assign them to a new ship, unless the captain comes from a premium.

It does not matter if you move a captain up the line, or back to an older ship.

I’m surprised you say 250,000XP to retrain, how many points has your captain? I have moved a few 10  or 12 pt captains and from memory that was about 25,000 command XP to retrain after paying 200,000 credits for the 50% retrain. I then play a number of battles with captain skills 50% effective, that’s bearable.

Is your 250,000XP to train a brand new captain to 16 or whatever points?

Fubuki is T6, with all the T6 scenarios you can train up a 10pt captain fairly quickly in scenarios, and a T6 DD plays OK with that.

If you have a T6 premium, you can train your captain there and move him wherever you like, as long as it is a ship of the same nation. Premiums earn XP faster. So you could train your DD captain on a T6 Mutsu or T6 Shinonome, if you had them, not sure there are other T6 IJN premium ships.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,313 posts
9 hours ago, Brettr said:

The Wiki doesn't mention this situation. If I move a commander from eg my Kagero T8, back to Fubuki T6 which he commanded before, will he have to retrain on the Fubuki? FYI, his name is Keisuke Inokashira.

Thanks

Only premium commanders can be switched freely between ships of the same nation without penalty.

Unfortunately......

411 posts
6,218 battles
6 hours ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

Only premium commanders can be switched freely between ships of the same nation without penalty.

Unfortunately......

Premium commanders? you mean, ARP ones? Those are limited to IJN ships only :3 

230 posts
1,866 battles

Hi Guys

Just checked this out with my 19 skill point elite British commander. His Specialty is Queen Elisabeth. To move him to KGV the cost is 250000 exp At 50% effectiveness whilst training. No option to free exp or purchase with doubloons  or part train with credits.

Alex 

B_T23

411 posts
6,218 battles
1 minute ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Hi Guys

Just checked this out with my 19 skill point elite British commander. His Specialty is Queen Elisabeth. To move him to KGV the cost is 250000 exp At 50% effectiveness whilst training. No option to free exp or purchase with doubloons  or part train with credits.

Alex 

B_T23

Wut? Can you give us a screenshot?:cap_wander: Is accelerate retraining only for non-elites?

[BLESS]
15 posts
16,670 battles
2 minutes ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Hi Guys

Alex 

B_T23

If you click 'yes' to retrain captain the option will come up to pay 500 doubloons to skip retraining or 200000 credits to half the 250000 exp or spend nothing at all. Then once the Captain is in the ship there is a + next to his name that will allow you to spend the elite xp to retrain him

230 posts
1,866 battles

Well I didn't want to press yes to find that out. lol. Would have meant retraining to get him back into the QE. A trap for young players.

1,386 posts
8,325 battles

Retraining your captain is like you getting a new two-dimensional waifu from the season's Japanese anime, you are gonna forget the old one that you just started calling waifu three months ago:cap_haloween:

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

2,247 posts
13,942 battles
7 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

I guess you have always moved your captain up? I’m surprised you have reached T8 and not figured out how that works, being upset doesn’t change the rules.

Captains have to retrain after you assign them to a new ship, unless the captain comes from a premium.

It does not matter if you move a captain up the line, or back to an older ship.

I’m surprised you say 250,000XP to retrain, how many points has your captain? I have moved a few 10  or 12 pt captains and from memory that was about 25,000 command XP to retrain after paying 200,000 credits for the 50% retrain. I then play a number of battles with captain skills 50% effective, that’s bearable.

Is your 250,000XP to train a brand new captain to 16 or whatever points?

Fubuki is T6, with all the T6 scenarios you can train up a 10pt captain fairly quickly in scenarios, and a T6 DD plays OK with that.

If you have a T6 premium, you can train your captain there and move him wherever you like, as long as it is a ship of the same nation. Premiums earn XP faster. So you could train your DD captain on a T6 Mutsu or T6 Shinonome, if you had them, not sure there are other T6 IJN premium ships.

I'm surprised that after +5073 battles you still don't know the amounts required to train/retrain the captains. Nor the sums involved to get them there. 250k xp only gets you just shy of 11pt capt. Almost 1mil for a 16 pt.

2,247 posts
13,942 battles
17 hours ago, Brettr said:

Thanks

The wiki does mention it. It's only if you're overly optimistic (wg will soon beat that out of you :Smile-_tongue:) that you might think you could reuse your captain.

[HMASW]
34 posts
12 minutes ago, keskparane said:

The wiki does mention it. It's only if you're overly optimistic (wg will soon beat that out of you :Smile-_tongue:) that you might think you could reuse your captain.

"Transferring them to a new tech tree ship will require them to retrain."

I don't think transferring them back to a ship they have served on counts as a new ship. Yes, I now understand training is needed in this situation but the wiki is at best misleading.

Edited by Brettr

2,247 posts
13,942 battles
3 minutes ago, Brettr said:

I don't think transferring them back to a ship they have served on counts as a new ship. Yes, I understand training is needed in this situation but the wiki is at best misleading.

Only if you ignore "a Commander's skills can only be utilized on that ship". Like I said "It's only if you're overly optimistic....."

273 posts
1,235 battles
15 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

If you have a T6 premium, you can train your captain there and move him wherever you like, as long as it is a ship of the same nation.

15 hours ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

Unfortunately......

Premium ship commanders are still subjected to retraining whether you move them up/down tier to any tech tree ships of the same nation. 

Special ARP captains can be moved freely to any ARP ships without any penalty. Retraining is still required if you move the ARP captains to any IJN tech tree ships

287 posts
23,960 battles
On 3/29/2018 at 4:15 AM, LtDan_IceCream said:

Unfortunately......

What you mean to say is only premium ships can use commanders of the same nation without requiring a retrain.

Please share whatever brand of vodka you are currently consuming with me.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,313 posts
18 minutes ago, Pervis117 said:

What you mean to say is only premium ships can use commanders of the same nation without requiring a retrain.

Please share whatever brand of vodka you are currently consuming with me.

That's what I meant, It just came out wrong.

No vodka on offshore rigs I'm afraid.

I wish there was though....

287 posts
23,960 battles
4 minutes ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

That's what I meant, It just came out wrong.

No vodka on offshore rigs I'm afraid.

I wish there was though....

That's just silly! Vodka and offshore drilling go together perfectly!

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,313 posts
3 minutes ago, Pervis117 said:

That's just silly! Vodka and offshore drilling go together perfectly!

That's what I keep trying to tell them......

2,247 posts
13,942 battles
11 hours ago, Hey_Potato said:

Premium ship commanders are still subjected to retraining whether you move them up/down tier to any tech tree ships of the same nation. 

Special ARP captains can be moved freely to any ARP ships without any penalty. Retraining is still required if you move the ARP captains to any IJN tech tree ships

Actually the ARP ships work like premiums when it comes to captains. You can put ANY IJN captain into an ARP ship without retraining, not just the ARP captains.

230 posts
11,904 battles
21 hours ago, Brettr said:

I don't think transferring them back to a ship they have served on counts as a new ship. Yes, I now understand training is needed in this situation but the wiki is at best misleading.

i think if they changed "new" to "any" should clear out the misleading without necessity of long winded other context.