You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Octotron

New player impression & questions

20 comments in this topic

2 posts
698 battles

I am new to the game and really loves the feel of the seas. It is absolutely amazing.

But there are a lot of things thats confusing me:

* My aim is extremely inaccurate but for some reason people can hit really accurately over 15-18km. An entire salvo hits exactly on the centre of the ship. Is there a trick to it? It almost feels like they are cheating.

* There are sometimes ships with specially bright symbol over their name on the ship list and they have these special markings that make them look like ships of the fog from arpeggio of blue steel. How do they get that?

* The first few tiers are quiet alright but after tier 4 the experience needed to for the next tier starts to get really out of hand. I dont think I will ever be able to reach the end tiers even if I only aim for a single ship. With my performance even with exp boosts it wouldnt be enough. The game feels so grindy and so much content is completely out of reach. This doesnt feel like something that most people will have time for. I really really really want it but I dont think its possible for me to get it at all.

* I took a brief look at clans to see if there could be people to help me and teach me get along but it feels like most clans have either have requirement out of reach or few active players of varying tiers. Is there a community site to teach and to form pre-made groups for each tier? This could be immensely helpful.

164 posts
5,389 battles

1. The player base experience is currently high, even at lower tier, we don't have a decent flow of new comers so yeah, they know how to maneuver, also there's the RNG and your aiming skill itself. My advice is to go to COOP and get a feel of where to hit a citadel. Then everything else come later.

2. Arpeggio, it's a long gone event awarded for those who participated in it. Chance of it coming back is unknown. Although i do hope they will, and the original Arpeggio port looks amazing as well. Called "Yokosuka".

3. Yes, unless you pay for premium and stuff like camo, flags as bundle. You're gonna have a very long grind. For example, myself, with the Yamato, I don't use camo, flags, just use free premium time. Took me about a year to get it without focusing on it. Because I play Fuso alot, and high tiers are credits demanding.

4. Can't help you with that. Maybe looks into the Clan section of the forum to see the recruitment.

Anyway, yeah the game is very hardcore already. And if im honest, it's very unfriendly to newbie nowadays. The game and player base itself. I've seen guys who played a bit amateur got blamed and reported alot, veterans playing on low tier, some rank 1, some got OP divisions, making the matches one sided, and the commander skill make big different as well especially CV, the dominant type of ship that has much higher chance to decide the outcome of the match than others. And there's other issue that bothers me a bit lately, like you can be reported by the enemy team for just being good, or the friendly potato reported you for not doing what they want. I got like 15 Karma points back then, but now 0, up and down. The Karma point doesn't have any effect but it makes me got a feeling that people are more aggressive as of late.

But still we all love warships that we are here. So I hope the best for you.

Edited by ColonelRVH

[SGC]
197 posts
10,257 battles

Hmm, let me have a shot at this :3

2 hours ago, Octotron said:

* My aim is extremely inaccurate but for some reason people can hit really accurately over 15-18km. An entire salvo hits exactly on the centre of the ship. Is there a trick to it? It almost feels like they are cheating.

> There are plenty of aiming guides available online on reddit, the WoWs forums and YouTube.  MatterCore already posted one example, so I'll leave a link to other videos:

* There are sometimes ships with specially bright symbol over their name on the ship list and they have these special markings that make them look like ships of the fog from arpeggio of blue steel. How do they get that?

> Eh don't think about this. The ships are a product of a collaboration between WarGaming and Arpeggio of Blue Steel years back. I doubt people would be able to attain them anymore at this time.

* The first few tiers are quiet alright but after tier 4 the experience needed to for the next tier starts to get really out of hand. I dont think I will ever be able to reach the end tiers even if I only aim for a single ship. With my performance even with exp boosts it wouldnt be enough. The game feels so grindy and so much content is completely out of reach. This doesnt feel like something that most people will have time for. I really really really want it but I dont think its possible for me to get it at all.

> The grinding experience is not that bad compared to other online games imo. Use the time to practice, enter random battles over and over again to considerably improve your skills and gain battle experience. Reaching tier X is just a goal; you have to remember that the journey to reach your goal also matters.

Like me, for example. Despite my record of almost 7800 Random Battles, more than 60% of those matches are from tiers 3 to 7. Keep playing, keep practicing until it becomes a natural action for you. Time doesn't matter to be honest, because it's not like the game will run away from you anyway~

But on average, grinding to your first Tier X should take you between 2000-2500 games, granted you are determined to learn how the game works inside-out in the process.

* I took a brief look at clans to see if there could be people to help me and teach me get along but it feels like most clans have either have requirement out of reach or few active players of varying tiers. Is there a community site to teach and to form pre-made groups for each tier? This could be immensely helpful.

> Go check the Clan Section for that~ but in my humble opinion I don't think you really need to bother yourself with clans early on.

Solo play will be harsh due to the current meta, but I assure you that if you dig deep, grit your teeth and be WILLING TO IMPROVE, YOU WILL DEFINITELY BECOME A GOOD PLAYER!

Meet new people, gain new friends, and build new relationships along the way; heck, if enough of you could band together ya might even be able to form your OWN Clan ;)

In the three years WoWs has been live, there are numerous sites containing instructional materials for improving your skills, like the WoWs subreddit, ShipComrade and of course, the ever-reliable world of warships forums.

If you have a YouTube account, I recommend you subscribe to Aerroon, Flamu, Ichase gaming, Notser, and NoZoupForYou among other WoWs-related YT channels.

Of course, do not forget the World of Warships Official Channel for general guides, historical documentaries and game news/updates.

PS: Oh, I almost forgot!

In the near future, if, per chance, you have racked up over 2k battles, have at least one tier 8 and/or tier 10 ship, well over 50% win rate (preferably 55%, or even higher :3), and HAVE THE DRIVE TO IMPROVE, check our clan page.

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/29707-sgc-recruiting-competitive-players/

People are always welcome here~

Edited by seiji09

581 posts
7,451 battles

First of,

Welcome to world of warships! and the forum

Dont underestimate yourself~

Reaching t10 just takes time~~~

Dont rush , progress slowly else you gonna get bored damn easily

907 posts
7,203 battles
13 hours ago, Octotron said:

Practice, practice, practice!!

13 hours ago, Octotron said:

This doesnt feel like something that most people will have time for. I really really really want it but I dont think its possible for me to get it at all.

People already wrote very good answers to most of your questions.

I like to add some thoughts on reaching high tier ships.

As you say, T3/T4 you reach easily. I played to T3/T4 without spending any money.

Then I bought premium account. With premium, daily win bonus and the flags you win in the game, reaching T6 is fairly easy.

Once you reach T6, playing T6 and then T7 scenarios, you can get to T8 fairly easily. That is, in a week or two. With stacked flags, you can make over 10k XP and 20k command XP in one game, to give you an idea. That way, earning 200,000 XP for a T8 is not exactly difficult.

If you are happy to spend money on flags and use doubloons to convert XP to free XP, you can get from T8 to T10 fairly easily.

But even without spending any money, you will eventually reach T10, you just have to persist.

449 posts
8,073 battles

My advice is to not rush, don't worry about getting to T10 in a hurry. Your best bet is to just practise, and watch and learn from others (a few good youtubers have already been posted.) Don't worry about getting T7+ ships that feel out of reach for now, they require a certain amount of experience to play them, get that experience by grinding the lower tiers. In many ways the lower tiers are more fun, and the standard of play doesn't necessarily get better at higher tiers. You should be able to reach T6 in a relatively short time even when completely free 2 play.

[1NATN]
364 posts
14,702 battles
17 hours ago, Octotron said:

Don't be in such a hurry to get to Tier X, it's not that great anyway. This is purely just my opinion, but I find my most entertaining matches are those played at Tiers 4 to 8, and also the most economically rewarding if you're F2P.

2 posts
698 battles

It sounds like there is a very good system is in place and the higher the ship tier the higher the difficulty as well.

Thank you all for the very useful information. Guess I will hang in there and try to improve. Cheers.

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles

It sounds like there is a very good system is in place and the higher the ship tier the higher the difficulty as well.

Thank you all for the very useful information. Guess I will hang in there and try to improve. Cheers.

Although many people will disagree, but set yourself some goal, this helps you improve faster.

If you check your game profile, for each ship you play, you can see various statistics. Winrate / Survivability / Average kills / KDR etc. Set a goal, for example, for a Tier 4 cruiser, 35k is a good average, so I will make sure I get at least 35 k every game. Or for a full day session, I will reach 1.0 average kills at least, or, get a KDR of 2+ every day. This way you get to improve faster. You get nowhere if there is no milestone or a goal. :)

Also some people will try to misguide you here saying, "no need to win, just play for fun" while in reality, winning is 90% the fun. So yah, play for fun, and also try to do what it takes to win. You will do great. SEA server is a bit harder than NA or EU anyway, so don't get frustrated.

354 posts
9,048 battles
40 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Although many people will disagree, but set yourself some goal, this helps you improve faster.

If you check your game profile, for each ship you play, you can see various statistics. Winrate / Survivability / Average kills / KDR etc. Set a goal, for example, for a Tier 4 cruiser, 35k is a good average, so I will make sure I get at least 35 k every game. Or for a full day session, I will reach 1.0 average kills at least, or, get a KDR of 2+ every day. This way you get to improve faster. You get nowhere if there is no milestone or a goal. :)

Also some people will try to misguide you here saying, "no need to win, just play for fun" while in reality, winning is 90% the fun. So yah, play for fun, and also try to do what it takes to win. You will do great. SEA server is a bit harder than NA or EU anyway, so don't get frustrated.

Or look up the stats sites -

https://asia.wows-numbers.com/
https://asia.warships.today/

and see what the server averages are for the ship you are playing and try to, at least, match them.

164 posts
5,389 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

"no need to win, just play for fun" while in reality, winning is 90% the fun.

Probably the best quote of the day. :cap_book:

Edited by ColonelRVH

455 posts
8,034 battles
21 hours ago, Octotron said:

* The first few tiers are quiet alright but after tier 4 the experience needed to for the next tier starts to get really out of hand.

This may sound really discouraging, but I'd advice you not to try to get to the high tier ships fast. Grind a couple of lines to tier 7 and once you have enough experience and find out which type of ship is fun for you, you can try to grind further. I say this because
1. high tiers are really punishing even for small mistakes, so better to stay away till you're confident in your skills
2. You may think the experience required is high, but starting with t8,  you'll likely be short on credits even long after you have grinded out the experience. And t9/t10 ships will easily LOSE you credits unless you do pretty well in each game, unless you buy premium time/perma camo
3. High tier ship doesn't necessarily mean they are more fun than mid tier ships, so unless you really want an iconic ship/waifu there is no need to rush
since you are new to the game, try to just learn and enjoy before you start grinding

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles
4 hours ago, Moldavia said:

Or look up the stats sites -

https://asia.wows-numbers.com/
https://asia.warships.today/

and see what the server averages are for the ship you are playing and try to, at least, match them.

Yah, as long as people don't get obsessed with PR or WTR.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
59 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Yah, as long as people don't get obsessed with PR or WTR.

correction
obsessed with Other Player PR or WTR

312 posts
6,770 battles
On 3/28/2018 at 4:30 PM, Octotron said:

I am new to the game and really loves the feel of the seas. It is absolutely amazing.

But there are a lot of things thats confusing me:

Hello and welcome. We are in the same clan, and members have welcomed you, but you haven't replied to them. We are a pretty active and do also partake in Divisions. Feel free to ask in Clan Chat if you want to division, most have a wide range of ships.

Your aim will develop over time. The game has been out a while now and players have learned/adapted to the mechanics. All classes and nations ships react differently. Some are like lasers (Soviet ships) and other are floaty (American). You need to find a class of ship that you click with and focus on that, then move to something else when you feel more confident in it.

The ARP/Dragon ships are a copy of the Myoko class and Kongo class ships. There are also Dragon ships which iirc are Myoko class cruisers. These are special and/or collaboration missions that WG held a while back. To get these you have to complete the missions... but no longer available. The Dragon ships come up from time to time. They offer nothing more than the tech tree ships. 

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles
1 hour ago, Kamanah said:

The Dragon ships come up from time to time. They offer nothing more than the tech tree ships. 

Except, not through mission, but you have to pay. Paying for a myoko clone.... that's worse than myoko? erm idk what was WG thinking, but apparently some people actually bought her.

312 posts
6,770 battles
1 minute ago, icy_phoenix said:

Except, not through mission, but you have to pay. Paying for a myoko clone.... that's worse than myoko? erm idk what was WG thinking, but apparently some people actually bought her.

IIRC the S. Dragon was obtainable thru a series of missions a couple of years back, but the E. Dragon could be solo purchased, which i agree pointless to buy. But it was also added into a Fleet Pack, and i bought the pack because those ships were missing from my port, but i wouldn't of purchased the E. Dragon if it didn't already come in the bundle.

204 posts
10,994 battles
28 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

retraining is a breeze when you have 3 myoko copies in port. :cap_haloween:

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles
20 minutes ago, Kamanah said:

i bought the pack because those ships were missing from my port, but i wouldn't of purchased the E. Dragon if it didn't already come in the bundle.

Yes, I remember that, she came with Scharnhorst, Tirpitz and probably Spee too. But at that point, I already had those 3, so WG denied me from having E Dragon. And Im gonna hate them for that.

S Dragon was given for free only during the first appearance, but now being sold as well. Last time each of these were sold for 20$. Idk, didn't seem worth getting.