You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ordrazz

Why is DD still invisible when on fire ???

13 comments in this topic

1,539 posts

Title..

i know all of you DD experts are going to jump on this, so maybe i can get some POSITIVE NON TROLL answers, from the decent section of the playerbase...

i was in my duke of york, shooting at pan Asian hsein yang (t8 DD), no more than 5.2klm away, & i set it on fire twice, & knocked out its engine, yet it was still invisible when on fire???

when i get set on fire, i'm like a candle to everyone, why is this apparently not so for DDs ???

there was no smoke, no island in the way, just total invisibility, even when the DD is on fire at 5.2klm ....

captain skills?? surely cannot totally compensate... especially for knocked out engine as well as being on fire twice.... but i could be wrong.....

please tell me...

Ordrazz

Beta Tester
628 posts
6,898 battles

Post your replay, since even when not on fire a Hsien Yang has 5.7km detection.  Being on fire adds 2km to that figure.  Either you've experienced a totally game breaking bug that absolutely no one else playing the game has noticed, or there are a few important details that you have failed to notice which can explain what you think you have experienced.

1,386 posts
8,325 battles

A replay file would make the actual situation clear.

But I think he may popped smoke without you noticing. Smoke rings only appear when you get up close.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

2,247 posts
13,942 battles

Pretty normal. I often find I'm not being spotted when I should be. Here is an example where the roles are reversed. The Fletcher should be spotting me.

Super Tester
7,724 posts
8,031 battles

Non troll answer: It happens for DDs to, you need to get within 3 - 3.5km even when DD is set on fire and shooting back while sitting in smoke. This is done for balance purposes.

You can check the concealment range on fire and when shooting while sitting inside smoke. Post replay file if you want to say that he wasn't using smoke, cause we are certain he was. (Unless you were looking at wrong direction).

Also, one more question, when you say you got within 5 km, how did you know if you haven't seen that DD, may be he was sailing away too, DDs are way faster.

Edited by icy_phoenix

980 posts
12,693 battles
8 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Non troll answer: It happens for DDs to, you need to get within 3 - 3.5km even when DD is set on fire and shooting back while sitting in smoke. This is done for balance purposes.

You can check the concealment range on fire and when shooting while sitting inside smoke. Post replay file if you want to say that he wasn't using smoke, cause we are certain he was. (Unless you were looking at wrong direction).

Also, one more question, when you say you got within 5 km, how did you know if you haven't seen that DD, may be he was sailing away too, DDs are way faster.

This is a troll answer. 

Do not believe what he said. 

461 posts
8,515 battles

It sounds like he used smoke and fled, sometimes the smoke doesn't render very well when close to it. You'd only have to be close enough for the smoke itself to be difficult to see and far enough the circle on the water isn't visible either. Also when a ship is first spotted there can be quite a delay before it's actually rendered, he'd only have to be unspotted for a moment and you might not see him for like 15-20 seconds.

Given the damage you did I'd be surprised if they didn't also immediately pop damage control as well. Did the damage counter continue going up?

1,539 posts
10 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

OK , balance purposes would answer it, as I was chasing him & he popped smoke along side an island, so I was firing where I thought he would be, so I  chased him out of his smoke & his engines were knocked out by my HE while he was escaping, & he also caught fire, but as I said, he still became invisible while burning....

He managed to escape because he became invisible, & then I came under heavy fire from another ship....

I have no replay, so I can only put it in words what happened...

Thanks for the reply

:cap_like:

Ordrazz

461 posts
8,515 battles

If you entered the smoke yourself and were still in it the smoke spotting distance for the DD applies, you can't see out better that you can see in essentially. The DD would have had to be much closer for you to see it in that case,  2.5 Km is the spotting range with smoke involved I think, perhaps adding the fire spotting debuff distance if they didn't put them out. DD (and other ships) rely on team mates to spot for them whilst they are in smoke, otherwise they can't really see out.

Beta Tester
628 posts
6,898 battles
5 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

OK , balance purposes would answer it, as I was chasing him & he popped smoke along side an island, so I was firing where I thought he would be, so I  chased him out of his smoke & his engines were knocked out by my HE while he was escaping, & he also caught fire, but as I said, he still became invisible while burning....

He managed to escape because he became invisible, & then I came under heavy fire from another ship....

I have no replay, so I can only put it in words what happened...

Thanks for the reply

:cap_like:

Ordrazz

Sounds like he had exited the smoke but either you moved into it or it was still between you and him.  Either of those conditions would cause his spotting range to go down to the proxy range of 2km.  You on the other hand would be visible for 13km or so in your BB if you had moved into smoke, since you had just fired.  You could choose to stop firing while in the smoke then your spotting range would go down to 2km and no one would be able to see you.  You'd be likely to eat torps and blind fire in the smoke though even if you didn't shoot.

Super Tester
7,724 posts
8,031 battles
8 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

I  chased him out of his smoke & his engines were knocked out by my HE

Most DD players takes Last Stand from captain skill tree. So he is never really knocked out. And if he pops up speed boost, he can still outrun you with broken engine I think.

Like Moggy wrote above, if you are fairly close, you could try blind firing, or popping up spotter plane in case he runs out of smoke, pop hydro if you have it... etc.

Also, you have to account for incoming shell volume before committing to a push, not afterwards. DD rush is very risky imo, even a DM wont be able to kill off a DD if he pops up super close and will die to torp attacks. I only push DDs with larger ships when I know I have force backing me up.

1,539 posts

i was not in the smoke, i was tracking him from the side, i saw him pop his smoke, to get away from me & one of my team mates,...., so i fired where i thought he would be, & that made him leave his smoke, & my next shot knocked out his engines & set him on fire...... by this time my team mate had died, but since he was further from the dd than me, it was me who was spotting him... it was mid game so it wasnt a rush to get a dd first...., the ship that was backing me up was a cruiser...

but yes, your right, i couldnt see the circle edge of his smoke, so maybe a little smoke drifted over him to shroud him while he was burning... while i was trying to see him, i came under attack from a enemy BB so i lost my kill...

& yes, i forgot about the last stand, so as icy said, he must have been only gravely wounded, not completely knocked out....... in my duke of york i had already used my hydro....

but anyway, thanks for the answers, they make sense.....

:cap_hmm:

Ordrazz