You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
admiral_tee

Axis vs Allies or Theatre of War match ups?

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,206 battles

Was just thinking out loud here.

I think the chance is minimal considering the relatively small number of players this server has. I also think that the sides wouldn't necessarily be as balanced. Also, many of these units belong to nations that were on different "sides" through 2 world wars so it wouldn't be 100% accurate "what if?", if such a thing can be classed as accurate.

However on the flip side, Axis vs Allies forces, or the more wordy Triple Entente vs Triple Alliance, undoubtedly would "feel" and "look" more historical than the random match ups we have at the moment. Hell, even theatre match ups - so Pacific, Atlantic, Mediterranean, etc, could be a go-er.

So if this was WW2, we'd have Germany, Japan, Italy vs UK (+ Commonwealth), US, Russia. The French could play on both sides though that's a messy situation to work out. The Pan-Asian ships - not sure...

Would these be balanced match ups?

Tee

1,078 posts
3,884 battles

Have seen it asked a few times since the game launched,and as you say WG didn't think it would work mainly due to balance, plus player numbers.

Your idea about Axis vs Allies sounds good though,it should be easier to do.

283 posts
3,667 battles

Maybe this could be a variation of the PvE scenarios? where you can div up with people and you have to ascertain a certain amount of axis or ally ships but then we could have a div of all entete ships vs a div of all powers/axis ships before you can enter battle, you would have to fulfill this criteria

[LNA]
1,690 posts
10,538 battles

We have atmost 10k players online , the game is not as big as WoT for example and even WoT find it hard to gather one team with a certain trait.

If it is a mode where players select a variety of GIVEN ships , it could work , but no guarantee.

This will only work as limited "fun" event to me

1,384 posts
9,053 battles

This could work for PvE Scenarios. Operation Hermes is like this already, where you could only pick Allied ships.

But for PvP? May be a little hard to balance. I remember WoT tried something like this and it didn't work out.

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

WoT did something like that before and fail due unbalance between nation, German team usually get reckt by US and USSR not only because they German tank is suck not very good but also player base.  there is many newbie play German tank due it famous, while more skilled player use USSR or US since they just better for stats

Not sure what happen will happen if they really do something like Axis vs Allies, i wonder which side Italy and France, they can change side or surrender:cap_look:. And British and German can shoot allies ship with out get penalty ?:cap_hmm:

[151ST]
1,026 posts
4,628 battles

Has anyone actually bothered to think about the radar disparity? 

I do like the idea but I don't think they'll do it.

1,050 posts
7,711 battles
18 hours ago, admiral_tee said:

So if this was WW2, we'd have Germany, Japan, Italy vs UK (+ Commonwealth), US, Russia. The French could play on both sides though that's a messy situation to work out.

Well, some of the scenarios are built like that.

For Random games, don’t forget, this is an online multi-player game where historic realism is an added benefit, rather than the driving factor.

I'd be quite happy to support the idea, but just imagine a real battle in the Pacific - it would be IJN vs USN, that's rather limited.

Or it would be Bismarck and Prinz Eugen against the entire British Navy and Air Force, ahaha!!

[LNA]
1,690 posts
10,538 battles

Why dont we just a random MM where people sign up,  but pray to rng about what they get assigned.  Like you sign up,  but wont know which ship you get so MM can simply assign it to you thus avoiding bottlenecks.