You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
scommy

Queen Elizabeth problems - fires

20 comments in this topic

71 posts
4,020 battles

This ship seems to catch fire the first time it gets hit.  It also never seems to bounce shots - just takes huge damage. Torpedoes always cause flooding. Turrets traverse is snail like.  

How the hell do you play this steaming pile of horse poop?

[LNA]
1,697 posts
10,550 battles

It cant bounce HE due to weak plating , but it sure can bounce AP flinged at it by angling the mainbelt. For low tier battleships , you dont want to go straight bow on , angle so that you catch the shells with an angled mainbelt.

Against IFHE spam , you have no counterplay other than using your camo and call off the engagement to repair. Time this well before you get to the no return point.

RN BB have almost no torpedo protection , the ship behind this is also like this. A Lion can be sunk by 4x Yugumo torps and a Conqueror with 6-7 hits while a Yamato can eat 10 and have a chance of surviving. Learn to predict when torpedoes are coming for you.

16 posts
8,998 battles

She is quite decent before the trollish 7.2.0 patch.

I had good memories with her.

I even disliked KGV, even when i have her fully upgraded.

IMO, it is one of the RN BB with powerful AP.

Unlike KGV which i find quite hard to citadel cruisers at range, it isn't for QE.

KGV's AP has shorter fuse, i don't think you could citadel any cruiser or BB unless you both below 8km range.

Her huge superstructure is the biggest problem IMO. It is where your enemy farmed damage from you when using her. AP, HE alike.

Once i shaved off 12K damage just by hitting another QE's superstructure with AP. Not quite sure it can be done after 7.2.0 however.

I think just my taste? Pretty sure only i could write something positive about QE.

So it may normal to say she is weak.

411 posts
6,296 battles
5 hours ago, scommy said:

This ship seems to catch fire the first time it gets hit.  It also never seems to bounce shots - just takes huge damage. Torpedoes always cause flooding. Turrets traverse is snail like.  

Catching fire is a National Trait for the British :Smile_teethhappy: Trust me, Conqueror gets set on fire even more often than QE.

You do not play QE aggressively...stay at mid range, try to keep most of the enemy to one side so that you don't have to go through the pain of turning those guns! use its superior accuracy and high caliber to demolish anything broadside...It plays more like NC and Montana, ALWAYS USE AP, it plays quite different from the line because of that...you have good concealment, so after taking a beating, go dark, heal and come back...repeat the process. It takes a lot of damage but can heal them back too as most of them will be pen damage or fire damage, I don't remember getting citadelled in it. 

Also, it is not a steaming pile of horse poop... It is IMO the best T6 BB because it rewards skilled play, positioning and good gunnery:Smile_great:

411 posts
6,296 battles
3 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

QE AP and QE HE both are trash.

Wut?:cap_wander:

Super Tester
7,779 posts
8,043 battles
53 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Wut?:cap_wander:

Go check penetration values. This is not Warspite.

[Edit]: let me elaborate:

QE has short fuse AP, sigma is lower than Warspite, so inaccurate. Due to being shortfuse, you get crap damage against most ships in the game using AP. In short, Your AP doesn't have the punch Warspite had.

While QE HE is better than Warspite HE, this is not typical RN BB HE that you see from KGV, nothing much to talk about it either.

QE is a nerfed version of pre-buffed Warspite, except AA suite.

#FACTS

Edited by icy_phoenix

411 posts
6,296 battles
15 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

QE has short fuse AP, sigma is lower than Warspite, so inaccurate. Due to being shortfuse, you get crap damage against most ships in the game using AP. In short, Your AP doesn't have the punch Warspite had.

While QE HE is better than Warspite HE, this is not typical RN BB HE that you see from KGV, nothing much to talk about it either.

#FACTS

I never expect a tech tree ship to be as good as a premium one...and when I'm talking about a tech tree ship I try not to bring premium ships into discussion either. The thread is not about how QE compares to Warspite, it is about how you play QE as a ship itself...

For the AP, I don't know what part of short fuse AP bugs you...they are different and should be used differently:fish_glass: You'll get crap damage if you keep shooting at the waterline like every other BB AP because shells that hit the water get detonated, instead try shooting for the upper belt and super structure and you'll get massive Pen Damage as they rarely overpen. Also, short fuse AP is devastating against lightly armored targets like DDs for the same reasons...I had no issue playing QE and apart from that and KGV, rest of the line is pretty meh...

Super Tester
7,779 posts
8,043 battles
7 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

For the AP, I don't know what part of short fuse AP bugs you..

Its funny how you keep explaining game mechanics, but I explained why the AP is crap, just like we explained how Monarch is not weaker than KGV in some other thread. But I forgot I was talking to you. You got good games, so it is better. And who cares if you don't consider this against a premium or not, I do. And if your experience matters, so does mine.

Just look at your own performance on QE. It explains pretty well that short fuse do not get "massive" penetration damage, you are better off with shooting HE if the target is not close. Any T6 BB can do massive damage to DDs, infact Fuso and New Mex does even more due to more number of guns. That was never QE's strong point, especially with the worst dispersion in T6 (may be after dunker).

Edited by icy_phoenix

411 posts
6,296 battles
9 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Its funny how you keep explaining game mechanics, but I explained why the AP is crap, just like we explained how Monarch is not weaker than KGV in some other thread. But I forgot I was talking to you. You got good games, so it is better. And who cares if you don't consider this against a premium or not, I do. And if your experience matters, so does mine.

It is not about experience...bringing a premium in comparison to explain why the tech tree counterpart is crap is not a fair way of judgement...giving the OP a Warspite and inspiring him to play it instead of QE won't solve his problems!:Smile-_tongue:

Edited by _TAMAL_

Super Tester
7,779 posts
8,043 battles
1 minute ago, _TAMAL_ said:

It is not about experience...bringing a premium in comparison to explain why the tech tree counterpart is crap is not a fair way of judgement...giving the OP a Warspite and inspiring him to play it instead of QE won't solve his problems!:Smile_facepalm:

Wasn't a question about whether it is fair or not. When I say one specific 381 mm shell is crap, what do I look to compare with? Naturally, another T6 BB with same caliber. Its logical. And I got frustrated after playing a few battles in her. I thought Gneisenau had the worst guns in the game, I was wrong.

Super Tester
7,779 posts
8,043 battles

On topic, just get the grinding done. She is just another T6 BB with nothing really special about her. Finish the grind and get to KGV, much better ship. In a tier where there are monsters like Fuso, New Mexico..... and the amazing Bayern, poor QE will never shine (staying strictly within tech tree choices). Play defensively, you are not in an aggressive ship, especially not in the first half of the game.

411 posts
6,296 battles
29 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

On topic, just get the grinding done. She is just another T6 BB with nothing really special about her. Finish the grind and get to KGV, much better ship. In a tier where there are monsters like Fuso, New Mexico..... and the amazing Bayern, poor QE will never shine (staying strictly within tech tree choices). Play defensively, you are not in an aggressive ship, especially not in the first half of the game.

Dunno why you didn't like QE...among the other tech tree ships, only Fuso seemed fun to me. I think it all comes down to personal preferences

1,006 posts
11,940 battles

QE is awful for me, the gun is bad even 10km broadside cruiser the shell would instead land elsewhere..then the slow turret rotation then the slow speed

combination of everything bad all in one ship

you can make it work good for you but i cant

get thru mine in operation then forget about it never ever i'm gonna sail this ship again

oh yea one thing i love this ship..i love shooting at them..so easy do big damage..easy damage farming

291 posts
24,032 battles
3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

#FACTS

This is the truth. I was hoping by getting QE I'd get a free Warspite, but sadly I was dissapointed. 

71 posts
4,020 battles

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with the AP damage thing, I gave up using it and the HE seems well kinda hard to play with only 8 slow guns. Just a POS its gonna sit in port doing nothing

461 posts
8,550 battles

QE isn't as good as any of the other T6 BBs, but you can make it sorta work for the purposes of grinding it out.

It does have decent accuracy compared to other T6's except Warspite. Because it has 15 inch guns it does have the ability to overmatch the armour of many ships it faces. However the AP penetration isn't as good as even many of the 14 inch guns because of the short fuse. Don't aim for citadels on BBs, aim like every BB is a german, and if you can't get damage on them HE is an option, but in general use AP. Cruisers on the other hand are good targets as the short fuse results in fewer overpens.

To deal with the slow turrets I basically point them out one side of the ship and maneuver to get them all on target before firing, and again after to angle. It helps throw off the enemies aim as well. Before Warspite got buffed it worked on her as well.

If you have the option take the basics of suvivability and fire prevention captain skills, they help greatly with ships made of oily rags.

1,050 posts
7,798 battles
On 3/25/2018 at 2:00 PM, scommy said:

No offence, but a bad workman blames his tools.

Hmmm, Bayern, Warspite and QEII seem not loved by many, I quite like all of them. Bayern would be my favourite. And yes, the guns are frustrating.

Have not played QEII and Warpsite in a while in Random, rather in scenarios, so I’m a bit rusty.

How many skill points has your QEII captain got?

Yes, both Warspite and QEII easily catch fire, so a survivability/concealment build works well. Also flags help. Remember, a lot of fire damage heals. After burning for a while, disengage and heal the damage. That’s how you win Fireproof or Dreadnought.

If you have enough skill points, you can get Adrenaline rush, and then you can consciously wait before you heal, and you enjoy a faster reload of consumables.

Yes, QEII turrets turn painfully slow, noticeably slower even compared to Warspite. I guess you have Expert Marksman? With both QEII and Warspite, you have to plan ahead where you want your guns to point and use Ctrl-X. In some situations, turning the ship is faster than turning the turrets.

About torpedos, you have to watch the mini-map and anticipate torpedos, rather try to react when it is too late. And of course, change direction and speed regularly. There is a trick that works better with Warspite: when you see torps, turn hard into them. A hard turn is like slamming the brakes, this helps to avoid torps. Warspite’s has faster rudder shift and smaller turning circle, so this works better for her.  Works with QEII to a degree, but not quite as well. You could pick the Vigilance captain skill, but IMO there are better skills like Superintended or Basics of Survivability.

I have a secondaries build for Warspite (which I will replace with a concealment build, as soon as the next free re-shuffle comes around) and an AA build for QEII. The trick is to know which ship to pick before hitting the battle button, haha! In a game with carriers, QEII has a clear advantage, she has decent AA which also helps against aerial torpedos.

381mm over-matches 25mm bow armour, so pretty much anything up to T7. Now, the guns make it hard enough to hit a ship, let alone a particular part of a ship. But those 15 inchers can do a lot of damage.

QEII has some advantages over Warspite: slightly increased main gun range, better HE and better AA.