You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ColonelRVH

Need some advice for Richelieu

14 comments in this topic

166 posts
5,521 battles

I need some advice for playing the Richelieu, seriously. The accuracy is just weird.

Sometimes the shells looks good, sometimes it's sure to get a devastating strike but then the shells scattered all over the place.

If i get forward I got burned to death. If i stay behind like all the teammates for about 10 mins I can't do decent damages.

And 8 out of 10 games i got put in tier X matches...

I'm still at the stock Richelieu.

image.png.d5152f97fa60d2389cfd32767792f6a1.png

image.thumb.png.4e7456a9803c058e51dd78beb53921ed.png

[SEARN]
537 posts
8,130 battles

Being bottom tier when you are T8 almost always is part of life in this game. Not easy but it is what we have got. Some ships handle it better than others. Richelieu can do ok but it doesn't come easy.

Yes Richelieu is a very annoying grind. Guns are bigger and you have more armour than Dunkerque but you still have the same terrible completely random dispersion and same trouble dealing any meaningful damage with consistency.

Do you have the Dunkerque? If so have you played it much? Richelieu plays almost identical to Dunkerque.  Play her as a high speed flanker. Try to get on the flank of an enemy push and use the speed boost to position and decline engagements when you are outnumbered or in an unfavourable situation. Because of your wonky guns you should look to target cruisers and DD primarily while looking to punish broadside or out of position or lone BB. The all front guns suit bow tanking but in doing so you give up your advantage of speed and manoeuvre. The ability to switch between the 2 without significantly giving up firepower is unique to Dunkerque and Richelieu. I remember reading somewhere that a B hull Richelieu with a sierra mike flag and speed boost is the fastest BB in the entire game. Plus your small gun calibre means you cannot damage bow on or angled BB so either use HE or look for more favourable targets. She also has very poor concealment values so a double concealment build as you have is highly recommended. This will also add benefit to the flanking and kiting play style.

Go for Hull B first, then gun range upgrade and then propulsion upgrade last. Ship upgrades and commander skills should look to improving the main guns and the AA (as well as the aforementioned concealment) Also due to her 32mm plate all over she is very susceptible to HE damage from 150mm and above. Not a lot you can do about it but something to be aware of to try to avoid getting cornered and HE spammed.

Chin up as when it is over you get the highlight of the French BB line. Alsace is the pick of the bunch. I'm not even going to bother getting the rubbish TX.

Edited by HobartAWD

166 posts
5,521 battles

Well thanks, I dont have the Dunkerque, not familiar with this play style. The engine and GFCS modules look pointless to me, the ship is already fast, the gun firing range is already decent.

I had fun with Lyon even when put into tier IX match, can just go HE and decent damages like Fuso.

But Richelieu... I will try that. Thanks again.

Edited by ColonelRVH

1,006 posts
11,943 battles

i play mine go in hard support dd and cruisers then kite when too much heat, this ship is very good pushing into cap scaring away dd and cruisers even sometimes alot of over pens

most fun is charge into bb, bow on this ship is hard to deal with plus decent secondary you can do some serious damage

mine is fully upgraded with 16 points commander also secondary build, i play mine kinda yolo so i go for secondary build but useless if wanna play range with this ship

get the hull then speed and last range, once upgraded its a very fun capable ship

GLHF :)

16 posts
8,998 battles

She's good bow tanker, but stock health pool is low. HE spam is a quick death.

Her range is great but accuracy is poor.

Her secondaries are big, but some will be lost at hull B. I think Secondaries build is not feasible for Richie.

At least if you able to get the secondaries manual control, i suggest not to pick the secondaries upgrade or IFHE.

The ship is fast enough without to deliver the secondaries to the face of your opponent, and desperately need the concealment.

12.8km ? It is great.

The unique captain, who is the name again, Jean Honore ? He helped to turn the turret faster, which is very useful for Richie.

You might obtain him from french collection. IK, that is RNG.

IMO, not a powerful ship to play, try to get Alsace ASAP. Not fun when you can't carry because the ship can't. DPM is terrible.

Fun is relative for everyone.

About 40-50k for a "good" battle IMO is underwhelming.

The ship is great when you downtiered, quite capable against same tier, helpless when uptiered.

Unlike Republique which has 20s reload and 430mm guns, she only have 380mm with standard 30s reload.

As if everyone think Republique is strong anyway haha.

Spam HE from a far maybe the most feasible fighting style against capable tier 9 or 10 BB players. Unless you caught them broadside.

1,050 posts
7,806 battles
On 3/25/2018 at 5:09 PM, Brunswickz said:

Jean Honore

It is Jean-Jacques Honoré.

And he was the reward for completing the Vive La France collection...  was quite specific, I believe you need Aigle for a number of missions, or high tier French BB's.

166 posts
5,521 battles
On 3/25/2018 at 11:09 AM, Brunswickz said:

The unique captain, who is the name again, Jean Honore ? He helped to turn the turret faster, which is very useful for Richie.

Spam HE from a far maybe the most feasible fighting style against capable tier 9 or 10 BB players. Unless you caught them broadside.

Actually the commander skill in the picture belongs to Jean, I was hopping that Richelieu is an amazing ship so I put him on command.

And yeah I did that on a match before in Ocean, got decent damages out of it. Lyon was more fun spamming HE though.

On 3/25/2018 at 1:40 PM, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Find a division, play Hermes, problem solved

I got to do the campaign, so operation is out of the question. However i've done it since yesterday, might stop playing her for a while as well.

1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

It is Jean-Jacques Honoré.

And he was the reward for completing the Vive La France collection...  was quite specific, I believe you need Aigle for a number of missions, or high tier French BB's.

Vive La France collection is quite easy to complete as there's so many france mission floating around. I got him before i started the french campaign.

1,050 posts
7,806 battles
23 hours ago, ColonelRVH said:

Vive La France collection is quite easy to complete

Well, I didn't say it's difficult and it isn't. I said specific, because you need Aigle or a high tier French BB, T8 I believe.

Super Tester
7,780 posts
8,043 battles
On 3/27/2018 at 8:10 AM, ColonelRVH said:

Vive La France collection is quite easy to complete as there's so many france mission floating around. I got him before i started the french campaign.

Got the other 3 before campaign but then I opened so many crates... not a single one had Richie... sad lyf

166 posts
5,521 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

Got the other 3 before campaign but then I opened so many crates... not a single one had Richie... sad lyf

I dunno if anyone got it either, I had to start from Bretagne. Then when I already got the Richelieu, the system trolled me, gave me a Normandie... :cap_wander_2:

1,006 posts
11,943 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelRVH said:

I dunno if anyone got it either, I had to start from Bretagne. Then when I already got the Richelieu, the system trolled me, gave me a Normandie... :cap_wander_2:

i got bretagne then lyon and i get to richeliue in operation

anyway i'm having great time with richelieu, citadel cruiser after cruiser killing dd and the best moment of all cit a hindenburg 3 times 22KM away

this ship not for everyone, but i absolutely love it till i'm tempted to buy dunkerque for collection lol