Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Moldavia

Shell mechanics

8 comments in this topic

354 posts
9,048 battles

I had a bit of a funny incident on the PT server today and, following some discussion of changed shell mechanics with the latest patch, thought I'd mention it here. I was driving a Montana and firing at an enemy Monty which had passed behind an island and evidently slowed down, because my salvo was going to land well in front of him - with the possible exception of a couple of outliers which might clip his bow (which can sometimes net decent damage). Imagine my surprise when a single hit, which appeared to be well forward of his A turret resulted in a citadel. I've had similar things seem to happen with cruisers before but their citadels extend much further so I've never considered it particularly odd but this one was strange enough for me to wish I had a replay file to examine.

PS It wasn't an overpen - he wasn't angled at all. The range was around 12-15kms.

Edited by Moldavia

454 posts
7,348 battles

My experience over the last couple months is that perfectly aimed salvos that look amazing and land exactly on the waterline around the citadel of perfectly broadside targets, do nothing. Salvos against angled targets, that look rubbish and go full shotgun dispersion and you look away expecting all to miss, are the one that get citadels. :Smile_facepalm: WG rewarding well aimed shots. Obviously working as intended.

I took the Nikolai out for a spin months ago and came around an island and surprised a perfectly broadside furutaka at 6km. 12 Stalinium infused AP shells out. WTF? 0 Damage. 9 hits. 5 shatters. 2 bounces and 2 no damage pens. WG removing cartoon physics from game. Obviously working as intended. 

354 posts
9,048 battles

My shot got me thinking of Oswald's 2nd shot from the Texas School Book Depository (the Magic Bullet). If the enemy Monty had an anchor chain made of something really strong, just like the Missouri in that movie (Seagallium maybe?) then maybe my shell hit it and was deflected 90° and passed through the frontal armour to hit its citadel !

Edited by Moldavia

580 posts
7,430 battles

2 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

My experience over the last couple months is that perfectly aimed salvos that look amazing and land exactly on the waterline around the citadel of perfectly broadside targets, do nothing. Salvos against angled targets, that look rubbish and go full shotgun dispersion and you look away expecting all to miss, are the one that get citadels. :Smile_facepalm: WG rewarding well aimed shots. Obviously working as intended.

^^this 

i wonder ....is it the change of shell interaction and armour in 0.7.2 update  causing this 

83 posts
3,448 battles

I'm just finding that I overpen full broadsides a hell of a lot more on cruisers nowadays. Getting really old real fast.

1,273 posts
8,561 battles
9 hours ago, hughfj08 said:

I'm just finding that I overpen full broadsides a hell of a lot more on cruisers nowadays. Getting really old real fast.

Same here. Enemy cruiser shows me a full broadside, I get overpens despite the shells looking like they hit the citadel.

I could be imagining things but this seemed to have started happening a lot in the recemt patch.

454 posts
7,348 battles
11 hours ago, Gummilicious said:

^^this 

i wonder ....is it the change of shell interaction and armour in 0.7.2 update  causing this 

9 hours ago, hughfj08 said:

When a patch contains a major change that affects all players so negatively it would have been nice for the patch notes to have more than one line with a very vague description. How about explaining how it works, what has been changed and how it will affect players. Simply putting "We enhanced the interaction between the shells and ship's armour during contact." is completely inadequate when what you have altered changes the game so much.

Suddenly not being able to deal logical and consistent damage to perfectly broadside targets is not an enhancement no matter how you spin it.

1,443 posts
42 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

When a patch contains a major change that affects all players so negatively it would have been nice for the patch notes to have more than one line with a very vague description. How about explaining how it works, what has been changed and how it will affect players. Simply putting "We enhanced the interaction between the shells and ship's armour during contact." is completely inadequate when what you have altered changes the game so much.

Suddenly not being able to deal logical and consistent damage to perfectly broadside targets is not an enhancement no matter how you spin it.

I thought was just me turning into a piece of cardboard, suddenly not being able to shoot enemy broadsides......

:cap_fainting:

Ordrazz

Sign in to follow this